Neck Profiles: Pattern Vintage vs S2 SC?

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Am genuinely curious about how a Pattern Vintage SC neck might feel compared to an S2 SC neck.

The reason for my asking is a common one: I'd be disappointed if a Pattern Vintage neck were too large, or the fretboard radius might be comparable to a Santana (owned one, was put off by the neck radius)

For those who own Pattern Vintage necks (SCs a plus), how would you describe the neck profile compared to a S2 SC neck?

Last edited:
Both will have 10" fretboard radius (vs. the flatter 11.5" of the Santana).

If you were okay with the Santana back shape, you'll be fine with Pattern Vintage. It is wider at the nut and deeper than Pattern Regular, but is has a nice soft V shape that feels less chunky than a Santana.

Compared to Pattern Vintage, Pattern Regular is easier to wrap your hand around and the V feels more pronounced at the low end of the board due to the narrower nut width. I find both shapes quite comfy and didn't have any issues switching back and forth between those two and Wide/Fat, too.

Thank you.

Was looking at some SC 594s recently (knowing my wallet has moths already) and wondering about reality vs calculating costs. I’ve owned Wide/Fat necks before like some folks, yet wasn’t sure if Pattern Vintage & Pattern Regular were something offered as options on SC 594s or not.

Will check the PRS website before asking further questions. Thank you again...

All 594s (DC and SC) are Pattern Vintage only, unless they changed options for 2020.

My favorite neck carve and I also own Pattern Regular, Pattern and Wide/Fat. Don’t let the depth measurement fool you, the asymmetric carve is very comfortable!

Thanks guys,

Am currently torn between selling my 2 beloved S2 SCs and upgrading to a SC 594 and finding some way of not going into debt, but still be able to pay my bills.

Not sure what I can save this month carryover to next month, but it sure won't be enough to cover the difference between sales and a SC 594 purchase.

(And no, I need both my kidneys...)

...*Sitting on this side of the link fence looking at the other kids playing and wishing*...

Thanks guys,

Am currently torn between selling my 2 beloved S2 SCs and upgrading to a SC 594 and finding some way of not going into debt, but still be able to pay my bills.

Not sure what I can save this month carryover to next month, but it sure won't be enough to cover the difference between sales and a SC 594 purchase.

(And no, I need both my kidneys...)

...*Sitting on this side of the link fence looking at the other kids playing and wishing*...
Since they just announced the new 2020s, that should give you more time to save up. Not worth going into debt on a new guitar. And I love new guitars! I just hate debt more.

Since they just announced the new 2020s, that should give you more time to save up. Not worth going into debt on a new guitar. And I love new guitars! I just hate debt more.

Likely a wise choice, though what the future holds health or needs-wise is still anyone's guess. (And yeah, I pay my bills in full each month, so no carryover debt.)

Not sure what to save for next year: new sets of seasonal tires ($1200, yikes...) for the car, and/or the 594. May need to sell one of the guitars for funding the tires, but not looking forward to that AT ALL.

Neck shapes are always going to vary a little but I’ve found the 594s I’ve played to have slightly thicker necks than my Santanas for whatever reason, though I know the Santana is considered the thickest PRS neck. Maybe it’s just where the asymmetrical carve fell in my hand. As a fan of thicker necks I found the PV to be extremely comfortable. Besides the radius, remember that Santanas have a slightly narrower width at the nut, which could have contributed to why it didn’t feel good to you. If you can find the current Santana Retro that might be a good frame of reference because those have 10” boards, not 11.5”. I think the neck carve and those sweet ass 58/15 LTs make the 594 just an absolutely incredible guitar. You’ll notice a big diff from the S2. I think the PV the Santana and the JM64 are the best damn necks I’ve ever played.

Neck shapes are always going to vary a little but I’ve found the 594s I’ve played to have slightly thicker necks than my Santanas for whatever reason, though I know the Santana is considered the thickest PRS neck. Maybe it’s just where the asymmetrical carve fell in my hand. As a fan of thicker necks I found the PV to be extremely comfortable. Besides the radius, remember that Santanas have a slightly narrower width at the nut, which could have contributed to why it didn’t feel good to you. If you can find the current Santana Retro that might be a good frame of reference because those have 10” boards, not 11.5”. I think the neck carve and those sweet ass 58/15 LTs make the 594 just an absolutely incredible guitar. You’ll notice a big diff from the S2. I think the PV the Santana and the JM64 are the best damn necks I’ve ever played.

I think it was the Santana's flatter fretboard radius that disenchanted me. The 594 has more curvature and ease of reach than the Santana, so hopefully, when my budget allows...

Back