Neck profile problems

GuitarAddict

I’ve noticed recently whenever I play the silver sky for longer than about half an hour I end up with tennis elbow type pain.
My other main guitar has a slightly smaller soft v profile neck which i can play for as long as I want with no problems, up until I typed this anyway.
Can it really be the slightly larger neck profile (that until now I actually thought I preferred and was saving for a rosewood model) that is causing the problem. Anyone else experienced similar. BTW I dont have small hands, I am 6’2 and have hands to match.
Any similar experiences greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Do you sit/stand differently when playing the Silver Sky? Any other ergonomic changes besides the neck profile? Satin vs gloss finish?

Nope. Stand till back hurts too much then sit or stop. Both have satin finish, profile similar, 7.5 and 9.5

Anything is possible as far as what a persons body reacts to , you could be using your thumb in a manner that is causing you some discomfort , possibly pressing harder.
Is your other guitar a different scale length ? I run 9.5s on my longer scale guitars ( 25.5" ) like the SS and Fenders so they feel similar to my other PRS guitars.
Is your SS action slightly higher than your other guitar and or are you playing the SS at a slightly different height on your body and changing your normal arm angle ??
Last try and relax your grip and stretch your wrist and hand after a few min of playing and see if your body adjusts.

Instead of the neck, could it be the way that the body hangs from its strap? Or even, where the guitar sits on your lap (meaning the cutout part that sits on your leg)?

I say this because I've had a couple SG's and if you look where the body cutouts are (basically, where the guitar would rest on your thigh if you were seated) they're WAY closer towards the bridge than almost any other guitar. And so that shifts the entire playing scale/range of the guitar farther out relative to your body. And I suppose this could happen too based on a particular guitar's body shape, and also where the strap buttons are located. Just a thought.

Yes, all very good answers, it is frustrating me.
Same scale length, same strap length, same strings, the only difference is the neck profile.
Just come in from playing just now and exactly the same thing happened. Played the strat for half and hour or so no problem then switched to the SS and within minutes - pain.
I always warm up for a good 20 minutes before first play of day with scales followed by stretching. I think I will trade it for another strat of the same model. I like to have one guitar in Eflat. Shame because I absolutely love the Silver Sky.
Thanks for all the replies.

Back