Neck profile preference (speaking of rabbit holes...)

Paul is a marketing genius. He is always adding something or taking something away or changing a name to keep things interesting and to provoke the buyer into buying. Can't call him stupid.

My DGT pattern vintage is the best neck I’ve ever owned. Without the binding, which makes it feel smaller, less wide.. it’s perfect.
Pattern Vintage on a DGT? That is interesting. I have never seen a DGT with a neck profile other than the DGT neck profile. It yours a Private Stock?

I love the wide-fat profile...and would love to (someday) find one in a roasted flamed maple (with maple board) like EBMM.

As long as a neck isn't too big and especially too small, then its fine for me to play. I was 'concerned' about the Pattern Thin neck which is the 'thinnest' neck I own as I have found thin necks - like those on an Ibanez - to be too thin for comfort but find the Pattern Thin to be perfectly OK for me. Maybe its the Fretboard Radius too as most 'thin' necks seem to have flat fretboards too.

At the other end of the spectrum, certainly with PRS, is the Pattern Vintage but that isn't too chunky and 'feels' like its worn into my playing. Compared to some guitars, it maybe considered 'chunky' but compared to others, especially some acoustic, its not that chunky to me.

I have a 'range' it seems where necks feel OK. Beyond that, they either get too thin/thick or too 'flat/rounded' with the fretboard. It seems that PRS necks, at least the 4 variations I own (Pattern, Pattern Thin, Pattern Regular and Pattern Vintage) all fall in that 'comfortable' range for me.. I don't really have a preference as I have become accustomed to the 'feel' of both my Custom 24's (the thinnest) and can swap comfortably between them and my two 594's for example that have the 'thickest' necks. It takes me 'longer' to adapt to the different position of switches/knobs than the necks!

I think I’ve settled on pattern being my favorite with pattern thin a close second. I have a very love hate relationship with pattern vintage. Somedays it feels pretty good and other days it’s just too big. I’ve been spending time tweaking my 594 lately and I will say it is easily the most resonant guitar I own and also has the thickest neck and body, coincidence? Who knows.

So I got a recent Zach myers: wide fat that I love.

And then yesterday I got a CE 2000 with wide fat: much thinner, almost like the wide thin on a my 594 thin line. I checked the hang tag. Says wide fat. Me thinks they made a mistake?

Or else wide fat got fatter thru the years?

So I got a recent Zach myers: wide fat that I love.

And then yesterday I got a CE 2000 with wide fat: much thinner, almost like the wide thin on a my 594 thin line. I checked the hang tag. Says wide fat. Me thinks they made a mistake?

Or else wide fat got fatter thru the years?
All my wide fat necks are consistent. I wonder if they made a mistake on the tag or the wrong neck was put on?

I didn’t even think of that. Back then the serial was written on the neck plate. Not the actual neck. It could have been swapped along the way. Bummer.

Back