neck pickup too bright CU 24 vintage zebra bass.

tonytester

PIC YOUR STRINGS WISELY
I have a 7 (07 or 97 ) ser # 31771 only a 7 is in front of the ser# CU 24 vintage yellow 10 top
bought it used a while ago thinking it was an 07 ,beautiful guitar nicely kept light play wear.
pickups are hfs in the bridge and vintage in the neck.
this has a 3 way toggle and a volume and tone knob both are push / pull .I mostly just showed it off and looked at it. Tonight I was actually playing it seriously and noticed that the neck pu is very bright even with the tone control turned to all the way down, I can't seem to find a wiring diagram for this guitar . something must be wired wrong , ill have to open it up and perform an elective surgery . It won't take up a bed or a ventilator so it should be alright .
does any one have any input be fore i start. every other cu 24 ive seen had a 5 way.
maybe this is really old.
thanks

It sure is a 1997.
It shouldn't sound bright. The VB is a very sweet sounding pickup.
By default, this was wired with a 5 way rotary switch. Someone messed up the wiring. Try to find a schematic for the McCarty switching. That should work...

The schematic for what you want is on the prs website. They have schematics for all models and I've found them to be very useful.

I haven't been on there in a while so I'm assuming schematics are still avail.

Good luck.

The schematic for what you want is on the prs website. They have schematics for all models and I've found them to be very useful.

I haven't been on there in a while so I'm assuming schematics are still avail.

Good luck.
i emailed prs and searched the schematic files , they sent me a link to a schematic that didn't match .
any mcarty scematics had only one pushpull. I did see a mcarty prs demo on you tube that showed 2 hbuckers 1 vol 1 tone each with a push.pull which resulted in
coil taps and phase shift,.which after mapping out all the combination on my guitar this morning is what i believe I have.

i emailed prs and searched the schematic files , they sent me a link to a schematic that didn't match .
any mcarty scematics had only one pushpull. I did see a mcarty prs demo on you tube that showed 2 hbuckers 1 vol 1 tone each with a push.pull which resulted in
coil taps and phase shift,.which after mapping out all the combination on my guitar this morning is what i believe I have.
Sorry man I thought you were wanting to go back to stock.

I have a 2000 McCarty that I sent to ptc. I had them put push pulls on both vol and tone pots for a 408 style switching.

I could easily send you pics of that wiring if needed.

Sorry man I thought you were wanting to go back to stock.

I have a 2000 McCarty that I sent to ptc. I had them put push pulls on both vol and tone pots for a 408 style switching.

I could easily send you pics of that wiring if needed.
yes I would like that . others would like to see it also. a friend of mine has a single cut trem with 2 push/pulls , so i checked the layout in his control cavity ,
what i found was very similar . what I found in mine was the ground shielding was not soldered properly and the south finish on the neck pickup was also not connected to it a little shredded and weak. I have it working properly now. maybe time took it's toll.

yes I would like that . others would like to see it also. a friend of mine has a single cut trem with 2 push/pulls , so i checked the layout in his control cavity ,
what i found was very similar . what I found in mine was the ground shielding was not soldered properly and the south finish on the neck pickup was also not connected to it a little shredded and weak. I have it working properly now. maybe time took it's toll.

PM me an email or cell number and I'll send you pics.

It sure is a 1997.
It shouldn't sound bright. The VB is a very sweet sounding pickup.
By default, this was wired with a 5 way rotary switch. Someone messed up the wiring. Try to find a schematic for the McCarty switching. That should work...
Im glad it doesn't have a rotary , my feeble mind would never be able to keep tract of what position i'm currently in. just ask my wife.

Back