Neck feel: metallic paint?

rushrocker

I'm really liking some of these S2 Standard 24 guitars with the metallic paint jobs. Sweetwater has a couple options, but it seems like these are definitely harder to find than the regular S2 Satin guitars.

As most of you PRS fanatics already know, the necks of the S2 line guitars all have the same paint as the body.

So what does this metallic paint feel like? Is it very slick and smooth or does it have some tackiness? I really like the feel of the S2 Satin line necks. Not quite slick, not quite tacky.

Anyways, if you have any thoughts please chime in!

Thanks!

The gloss neck feel is similar to any other (non-nitro) glossy neck. Its pretty smooth but... once you've tried a satin neck...

I've de-glossed my S2 SCSH neck with a scotch brite pad. Even made the characteristic"V" pattern behind the head by masking off, just for cosmetic purposes.
You don't have to do much to get it to satin - just a light touch to remove the surface layer.... and you can polish it back up to gloss should you wish to later (or reapply scotch bright when it starts to shine up again from use).

Very interesting, thanks for the replies. Good to know there is a gloss coat over the metallic paint. I can see that now in pictures. Also good to know I can knock the gloss off rather easily!

I have an old Ibanez with a metallic paint job, and it's totally satin. Very nice feeling paint.

The S2 gloss finishes are the same as the old core ones as far as I know. They feel very nice, not sticky at all

I prefer the gloss feel over satin.

I would prefer that my CE didnt have the satin finish.

Guess I’m a bit “old school”. I had a satin necked guitar about 20 years ago, it’s been gloss finished for about 19 1/2 of those! I just like playing it.:)

A couple of coats of Meguiar's cleaner/car wax (Burgundy bottle) and it'll feel smoother than a baby's bottom.

Back