Neck dimensions of DGT over the years?

Jedi

Ok....I have heard David Grissom say that Paul Reed Smith has tried to convince him to change some things on the DGT over the years and David has been very adamant that the guitar stay true to specs. Now, I have a 2012 DGT Goldtop/Darkback which I love and recently had a chance to play a couple older DGTs. These happened to be Sunburst (tobacco and cherry). These were the earlier models with speed knobs (which BTW I actually like the look and feel of the old knobs better). In playing these guitars I noticed what I thought was a distinct difference between the older neck profile and mine. What is the real story? Has the neck profile been changed?

Having owned and played several dozen DGTs from 07-15, in my opinion, it hasnt really changed, however on AVERAGE Id say the newer ones have a larger carve. That being said, I currently have an 09 model and it has what I think to be the largest DGT neck Ive ever played. Its as large as most WF necks easily.

Wait...I'm confused. You mentioned that it hasn't changed, but you have found that the newer ones have a larger carve and your 09 is even bigger? So that would indicate that "yes" they have changed. Correct?

It hasnt officially changed. No 2 necks are totally identical, due to sanding variances etc. Im just saying as a very general blanket statement the variances are towards the thicker side on the new ones.

Thanks. I understand that "officially" they have not changed but it appears that in actuality they have based on your experience and what I have found too. I have to say the older one feel different in many aspect, not just the neck. Obviously, the finish has changed too. I wonder how many small changes have occurred over the years that have culminated in the model the last three years? It would irritate me a bit if I was Grissom because that neck profile is definitely different. YMMV

I would say two things for sure. The finish was nitro top coat and now is probably v12, and the tuners went to closed back to new Phase 3s. Might be wrong?...but who knows for certain.

Thanks. I understand that "officially" they have not changed but it appears that in actuality they have based on your experience and what I have found too. I have to say the older one feel different in many aspect, not just the neck. Obviously, the finish has changed too. I wonder how many small changes have occurred over the years that have culminated in the model the last three years? It would irritate me a bit if I was Grissom because that neck profile is definitely different. YMMV

Nitro finish from 07-mid 11, then V12
Phase 2 to Phase 3 tuners mid 11
Cream pup rings - white pup rings w/flush screws mid 11
Black speed knobs to clear speed knobs ~2010
Clear/amber speed knobs to clear/amber lampshades mid 2011
Theyve gone through 4 or 5 different truss rod covers
"old" birds/moons until 2011, then "dirt" moons/birds 2012, then new style moons/birds 2013+
They changed the plating on the saddles somewhere around 2011 as well
Added resistors to the coil tap in 2012

Prob some more changes Im forgetting....

I recall DG stating in a video that the edge-rolling on the neck was increased at some point. IMO, depending upon the size of your hands, that might be misconstrued as a difference in carve. But since I've gigged a 2011 DGT, almost exclusively, for over 3 years, any other DGT has felt familiar and comfortable. Not sure I could say 'identical' but pretty close. Though I can switch from carve to carve without a problem, the DGT neck is my favorite guitar neck, period. And not just of PRS...

According to the signature artist himself that I spoke to a little over 2 hours ago (after his Tuesday gig at the Saxon Pub here in Austin) he said the 'Profile' has not changed over the years of the DGT model. BUT he said that since these necks are Hand Sanded, he could notice a change of 'feel' on necks if they had as little as 2-3 MORE or LESS passes during the sand down process.

"old" birds/moons until 2011, then "dirt" moons/birds 2012, then new style moons/birds 2013+

Actually, "old" birds only in the very initial run, outline birds after that until the dirt birds.

The DGT carve is pretty much perfect to me, although I don't really have much trouble switching between any of the carves (thin has been giving me some problems lately w/my thumb). If I do a PS, I'm taking the DGT along for the ride so they can measure the neck and pretty much replicate it.

Although the pattern regular on my 408 is right beside the DGT.

Back