Neck design.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Guitars' started by smokey9701, Nov 27, 2020.

1. smokey9701

smokey9701 New Member

What type of neck attachment does PRS use. It is a bolt on, dove tail?

2. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

Depends on the guitar. They do both, although I'm not sure if the set neck is technically a dove tail.

3. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

Well, since this is in the acoustic guitar forum, I have to assume the question is about acoustics. I've never seen a bolt-on acoustic from PRS, but would be happy to be corrected.

AFAIK, their necks are a standard set-neck glue-in, there's no evidence of dove-tail that I have ever seen.

4. smokey9701

smokey9701 New Member

Yes, I was asking about the acoustic. I does seem that they are glued in. I was just wondering if they were bolt in like the Taylor system which is not glued. Of all the designs, I put Taylor at the top of my list.

5. SinSir

SinSir New Member

Taylor came up with that design and I don't know if anyone else does it.

6. smokey9701

smokey9701 New Member

While the Taylor system is not traditional, that okay. It works and solves a problem. The neck is replaceable and CNC machining makes it possible. Nothing wrong with set necks either for those who care for their guitar. I was jus wondering. I really like what PRS is doing. I have started to take on a real dislike for the Mega monster guitar companies who are buying up everything in sight. The PRS A60E Ziricote is at the top of my list. I like Martin and Taylor also but I feel the PRS is the best value. I like the Taylor neck attachment design but it's not enough to put in first place.

7. SinSir

SinSir New Member

If I was going China and best Value to quality Eastman wins for me and competes with Taylor or Martin on all levels. Handcrafted says it al.

8. smokey9701

smokey9701 New Member

I agree, I like the Eastman guitars also. As for the PRS, I just kind of got fixated on the Ziricote. I have a feeling they could both be coming out of a Cort factory in Korea or China. I understand that a 500 - 1000 dollar guitar no matter what brand is not going to be built in the USA. I know Tayor builds in Mexico. Labor costs are what they are and not everyone can own a US made guitar that costs 2000 plus.

9. SinSir

SinSir New Member

Eastman is hand made in its own factory, an entirely different animal than we are used to when it comes to China. I agree, I don't even look at Taylor until the 300 series, the entry for USA made, and then I'd still probably grab an Eastman for the money just higher up in the series.

I get it on wanting a certain wood, I had to have my Adirondack Eastman once I was fixated on it.

10. JMintzer

JMintzer Bobble Head Moderator

It's their version of a dovetail...

[​IMG]

Alnus Rubra, ScottR and bodia like this.
  11. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

Revisiting this, I didn't realize it was in the acoustic forum. So set neck it is.

12. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

Cool, never saw this photo before.

That appears to be a core/PS. Do they use the same approach for the SE line?

13. Roy

Roy Still warming up

14. JMintzer

JMintzer Bobble Head Moderator

No idea...