Neck cleaning question

Funkbear311

9-5 worker, who just wants to play guitar at work
quick question for the ebony fretboard people. so on my rosewood necks, anytime there's some gunk or buildup when I change strings I run a 0000 grade steel wool over it to get the gross buildup off and then add a little lemon oil. But my question is, is this okay for ebony wood? Just don't want to mess it up. Never had an ebony board before

I've never used steel wool on any of mine. There are a couple of threads around here about fretboard cleaning and maintenance.

I would use the lemon oil and high quality furniture polish.

I haven't used either of these products, but it's an interesting read.

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

Less is more, especially with ebony. Lemon oil is naphtha, it's for cleaning. It's what the dry cleaner uses to get spots off your suit.

Wipe it off after you are done. It does nothing good for wood to leave it on, and actually is a drying agent as it evaporates (hence the phrase, "dry cleaning"). Even on Rosewood PRS recommends wiping it off after cleaning.

Steel wool will put fine scratches in the ebony, and can leave metal detritus on your pickups' magnetic parts. Best to use the lemon oil on a clean cloth, wipe down the fretboard, wipe off the lemon oil, then PRS actually uses Behold furniture polish on the fretboard to seal it.

Ebony will last for several thousand years unprotected by anything. They found untreated, unfinished ebony in excellent condition in Tut's tomb after 3,500 years in the Egyptian desert, where it varies between extremely dry, and flooded.

The bore oil/fretboard stuff the guy Bodia refers to sells is completely unnecessary; he's right about naphtha and other chemicals not being great, but you're not blowing spit onto your fretboard, as you do inside a clarinet, and you don't need to keep the wood from rotting. It won't rot, and it will do better if you do less to it, rather than more to it.

Last edited:
Ok well I just changed the strings and the board was dry in spots so I just wiped some lemon oil on it and wiped it off and now it's better. I just want to keep it nice and black

Ok well I just changed the strings and the board was dry in spots so I just wiped some lemon oil on it and wiped it off and now it's better. I just want to keep it nice and black

I get it. The Behold does a nice job keeping things dark/slick, if you're into it.

quick question for the ebony fretboard people. so on my rosewood necks, anytime there's some gunk or buildup when I change strings I run a 0000 grade steel wool over it to get the gross buildup off and then add a little lemon oil. But my question is, is this okay for ebony wood? Just don't want to mess it up. Never had an ebony board before

I second the notion of NEVER using steel wool. I use a product called Gorgomyte. I swear by it. It will clean and condition ANY fingerboard AND polishes the frets too. I used nothing else. Check out their website. NOTE... I do NOT work for them. I'm a customer and love this stuff.

http://www.gorgomyte.com/

I used the 00000 grade wool to clean frets since that's what Premier Guitar suggested but I guess I won't anymore

I use Gibson Fret Board liquid maybe once a year, if that. I wipe it on, let it soak in for a few minutes and wipe off the remainder.

I use Pledge on the back of the neck, and strings every time I play, and then wipe it clean. One thing I really hate is when the back of the neck and the strings feel so dry that my fingers do not slide easily over them.

For most of my playing life, I have used lemon oil, and never had any bad experiences with it. I only switched to the fret board stuff from Gibson, when I was given a bottle of it. It has lasted me over 10 years.

I've never used steel wool on any of mine. There are a couple of threads around here about fretboard cleaning and maintenance.

I would use the lemon oil and high quality furniture polish.

I haven't used either of these products, but it's an interesting read.

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

Just out of curiosity, what furniture polishes can be used other than Behold? I can't find that stuff anywhere locally, although I intend to check a few more Dollar General stores. From what I'm hearing, you're supposed to seal the rosewood fretboard with it. I've read not to use Lemon Pledge, but I was wondering if the generic "DG" lemon scented furniture polish might be the same or similar to Behold? If not, what other stuff is out there that I could easily find?

I would add that just nearly all of the aerosol furniture polishes are lemon scented, including Behold from what I'm seeing on their website.

The Pledge that I am using is not the regular Pledge, and from what I can smell of it, it has no lemon scent, just some type of extra polishing agent. I know that when I wipe clean whatever I am using it on, it leaves no smudging or sticky feeling behind. Everything feels more like resurfaced ice without the wet feeling ice has, and no build-up.

I used to use Johnson's Klean N' Shine and everyone told me that the silicon in it is not good for the finish. In abou 40 years of using it, I never had any problems with it. I was pissed when production was stopped. I then called Johnson's and ordered it by the case for remaining supplies, until that ended.

I then found that Pledge works almost as good. I don't use much at all on the body, and try to just wipe it down with a clean dry cloth. The neck and strings however, get constant attention from the Pledge.

If it is doing harm to the guitar, the guitar has not made me aware that it is being harmed at all. And!, I have not received and law suits from the guitar, or a cease and desist order, so who know's?!

The Pledge that I am using is not the regular Pledge, and from what I can smell of it, it has no lemon scent, just some type of extra polishing agent. I know that when I wipe clean whatever I am using it on, it leaves no smudging or sticky feeling behind. Everything feels more like resurfaced ice without the wet feeling ice has, and no build-up.

I used to use Johnson's Klean N' Shine and everyone told me that the silicon in it is not good for the finish. In abou 40 years of using it, I never had any problems with it. I was pissed when production was stopped. I then called Johnson's and ordered it by the case for remaining supplies, until that ended.

I then found that Pledge works almost as good. I don't use much at all on the body, and try to just wipe it down with a clean dry cloth. The neck and strings however, get constant attention from the Pledge.

If it is doing harm to the guitar, the guitar has not made me aware that it is being harmed at all. And!, I have not received and law suits from the guitar, or a cease and desist order, so who know's?!

Yeah, just let us know if that guitar complains or you hear from a lawyer! I'll probably just check another Dollar General or two in my area and if I don't see Behold I'll just try some of their DG generic brand. My guitar is actually new, but it was actually a wall hanger at GC. It has been played in the store a little and seems to have that icky feeling on the strings and back of the neck. I bought it a couple of weeks ago but have been on vacation. Will be sitting down tomorrow night and putting the strings I like on it and cleaning and polishing everything.

Just out of curiosity, what furniture polishes can be used other than Behold? I can't find that stuff anywhere locally, although I intend to check a few more Dollar General stores. From what I'm hearing, you're supposed to seal the rosewood fretboard with it. I've read not to use Lemon Pledge, but I was wondering if the generic "DG" lemon scented furniture polish might be the same or similar to Behold? If not, what other stuff is out there that I could easily find?

Pledge works too. A lot of people us it. How about a Walgreen's or Wal-Mart/Target. I would think most grocery stores would have it in the household goods aisle too.

Pledge works too. A lot of people us it. How about a Walgreen's or Wal-Mart/Target. I would think most grocery stores would have it in the household goods aisle too.

I looked at both Wally stores initially and neither had it. Checked their website and in Texas only Dollar General, Albertsons, and Brookshires carry it. There are no Brookshires close to me, although I see them when I travel to other areas of Texas. I was Iowa for vacation last week and wasn't aware that their Hyvee stores carry it. They might've had it. Sounds like I'll most likely just get the generic DG stuff.

I looked at both Wally stores initially and neither had it. Checked their website and in Texas only Dollar General, Albertsons, and Brookshires carry it. There are no Brookshires close to me, although I see them when I travel to other areas of Texas. I was Iowa for vacation last week and wasn't aware that their Hyvee stores carry it. They might've had it. Sounds like I'll most likely just get the generic DG stuff.

Wow, I would have never thought it would be so hard to track down! Guess that shows how often I buy furniture polish! :p

Good luck on your quest!

Wow, I would have never thought it would be so hard to track down! Guess that shows how often I buy furniture polish! :p

Good luck on your quest!

Lo and Behold! (pun absolutely intended), I found some today at an Albertson's over in the next town.

Why not get the PRS cleaning kit they sell? I'm assuming it comes with whatever PRS uses in house...

The best fretboard cleaner/conditioner I have ever used, by far, is the ernie ball wonder wipes. They use a blend of orange oil, jojoba oil, and linseed oil. No nasty solvents or anything. The fretboard comes out perfectly clean and has that dark, wet look for months and months and months at a time. I did mine last time 6 months ago and they still look like they were just done yesterday.

This where we get our Pledge...Walmart. I had no idea it was so hard to find in certain areas of the country.

If that's what I wanted to use, try buying it on line or go directly to the company. They usually will sell it to you by the case for less then the stores charge.

Back