Neck Cavity “Notes”

BrownDog

Finally took the neck PUP (Vintage Bass) off my Vintage Yellow 1995 Custom 24 to see what it said on the tenon (Bridge PUP - HFS).

All notes seem to be magic marker and under the lacquer.

I understand the 9-20-95 as the production date. Then there’s Reg 24 B - which I think means it’s a Regular Neck Profile and a 24 fret PRS. Not sure what the B means though.

Then in big print on the tenon is the note See Joe. Does this mean to see Joe Knaggs (?) for some reason?

Then the there’s this: (J.D.) and CASS (or CASH) which I suspect are the initials those who worked on the guitar at some point.

There’s the number 7 underlined - since the guitar is not a 10-top, was it rated a 7?

Finally there’s the number 193. Don’t know what this means as it isn’t related to the serial number. Is this the color code for Vintage Yellow?

Any help deciding is appreciated.

With tone and oneness, Mike

Last edited:
Finally took the neck PUP (Vintage Bass) off my Vintage Yellow 1995 Custom 24 to see what it said on the tenon (Bridge PUP - HFS).

All notes seem to be magic marker and under the lacquer.

I understand the 9-20-95 as the production date. Then there’s Reg 24 B - which I think means it’s a Regular Neck Profile and a 24 fret PRS. Not sure what the B means though.

Then in big print on the tenon is the note See Joe. Does this mean to see Joe Knaggs (?) for some reason?

Then the there’s this: (J.D.) and CASS (or CASH) which I suspect are the initials those who worked on the guitar at some point.

There’s the number 7 underlined - since the guitar is not a 10-top, was it rated a 7?

Finally there’s the number 193. Don’t know what this means as it isn’t related to the serial number. Is this the color code for Vintage Yellow?

Any help deciding is appreciated.

With tone and oneness, Mike
Wish I could help but I'm interested in seeing the answers!

Got pics? It might help with context.

I think I remember the "See Joe" comment in another thread, and it relating to something special in the build (artist, custom request, prototype?). Joe Knaggs would have had the 411 at the time.

I could be totally wrong in my recollection, though.

I think Jazzedout was referring to Brazilian rosewood, which would be within the realm doing that time. Sign up for an imgur account (or other image hosting site) and post the photos (of the guitar and cavity) from there. They will help everyone figure it out.

Hey BrownDog. That works, but if you tap thre image in imgur, choose copy link (the link should end in .jpg). Depending on your device, you might need to get to this point a different way. My phone and tablet give me a share link icon. The desktop lets me right-click and select an option.

Once you get the link that ends in .jpg, click the picture icon in the header section of the forum post box (it's between the emoji icon and what looks like a piece of film (video icon), then paste your image link there. That should let you share it in line.

Can you post a pic of the fretboard? That would help determining if the "B" is for Brazilian.

Bvpipfb.jpg

Back