Neck Angle

Rich45

What is the neck angle on a PRS Custom 24?
I don't need this information because it would not apply to setup for a Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom. It is a Les Paul type guitar, but it has a bolt on neck, so I can shim the neck at the end to allow an action as low as my PRS 2017 SE Custom 24. That would make it easier for a ten-year-old girl, guitar student.
I will probably install Grover auto-locking tuners to stabilize the tuning and make string changes easier.

Last edited:
your message is confusing.
however, neck angle on one guitar wont necessarily translate to being the proper neck angle on another guitar. especially one of a completely different type and construction.

I agree with Atomic. The neck angle will depend on a number of other things, or better said, a number of things depend on the neck angle. Rather than just apply the number from a different guitar, it would be better to put a straight edge on the fretboard and see how the bridge will line up if you change the angle. If you have room within the adjustments of the bridge, you can add a shim based on that alone. It may be that you just need a set up more than an angle change.

I thought I made it clear that I realized the PRS neck angle would not apply to other guitars. Therefor, I would use a shim on the Daisy Rock guitar to adjust the neck angle to allow for a lower action. The action on the Daisy rock is much higher than my PRS SE Custom 24. To get the same measurement at the 12th fret on the Daisy Rock, I have to barre at the 6th fret .The bridge and saddles are as low as they can go, so adjusting the neck angle, to bring the strings closer to the frets, is probably the only remedy. I appreciate the responses of Atomic and AP515 because their responses are helpful. If anyone has other advice it will be greatly appreciated as well.

ok, so yeah with that information I would say that shimming the neck would be a good start. how much relief do you have set up in the neck on the daisy rock?

there is a pretty good video on adjusting neck angle on the stew mac website.

I have not started on the setup, but the neck relief is also about twice that of my PRS, so that is where I will start. That much relief would cause fret buzz, if I play anything above the middle of the fret board and set the action to the height I want to achieve. Thanks for your help. I will check out the stew mac video.

I did the setup on the Daisy Rock and it didn't require an adjustment to the neck angle. After I reduced the neck relief to .010", like my PRS, I was able to get the treble strings down to 1/16", like my PRS, but because of the shorter scale length, the bass side strings needed 1/64" more clearance. The action is now as light as my PRS. My neighbor bought it used, from one of his band members, for his daughte, who had her sixth birthday two weeks ago. Having it set up with the light action will make it more playable for her, in a couple of years, when her hands are big enough to play it, and he starts giving her lessons.

Back