Neck advice needed

Big B

;)
Hello all!

I am new to playing guitar. I have been really enjoying this forum as well and I need some advice.

I got my first PRS last March. It's a S2 Cu24 24-08 and I have come to really enjoy playing it. So I was thinking about picking up another S2 but then noticed that the new S2's have a pattern thin compared to the pattern regular on my S2 that I am used to playing.

I see that actual measurements are not too far apart. My question is for those who have played both, how much do they feel different from each other? I wonder if because I am so new to playing if it is something to worry about or not.

Thanks

Hello all!

I am new to playing guitar. I have been really enjoying this forum as well and I need some advice.

I got my first PRS last March. It's a S2 Cu24 24-08 and I have come to really enjoy playing it. So I was thinking about picking up another S2 but then noticed that the new S2's have a pattern thin compared to the pattern regular on my S2 that I am used to playing.

I see that actual measurements are not too far apart. My question is for those who have played both, how much do they feel different from each other? I wonder if because I am so new to playing if it is something to worry about or not.

Thanks

Difficult to say as some people are a LOT more sensitive to what seems very 'minor' differences and others less so.

I own at least 1 guitar with each of the 4 'Pattern' necks, from Pattern Thin on my Cu24's, Pattern Regular (509), Pattern (HBii/Special) to Pattern Vintage (594's) and these are all in my personal 'comfort' zone. By that, I mean that the variations in shape are all within the 'range' of measurements I find comfortable. The necks combined with everything else (Radius, width, strings/string height, scale length etc as they all contribute to the 'feel') are all comfortable to me despite the variations in neck carves.

Pattern Regular is a bit narrower at the Nut but also a bit thicker than Pattern Thin. Whether you find the Pattern Thin too different to play comfortably or not, I can't answer for you and its something you should try out first for yourself but for me personally, I don't find them to be that different that it affects me.

Most of the S2’s were pattern regular. Wonder why the change. I have both and can switch between both, but prefer the pattern regular.

I have an S2 McCarty and it has a Pattern Vintage neck, which is kind of thick for my small hands and thumb behind the neck style. However, once I got used to it there really wasn't much issue, so I think maybe you just learn to adapt and don't really think about it. My Strat certainly has a thinner neck, and I have no trouble going back and forth between them.

Today I got my SE Custom 24-08 in and it has a Wide Thin Pattern and feels more like my Strat neck. I'm sure I'll adjust to that one as well.

I think you will be fine with the different neck shapes, as they don't vary a ton.

I have an S2 McCarty and it has a Pattern Vintage neck, which is kind of thick for my small hands and thumb behind the neck style. However, once I got used to it there really wasn't much issue, so I think maybe you just learn to adapt and don't really think about it. My Strat certainly has a thinner neck, and I have no trouble going back and forth between them.

Today I got my SE Custom 24-08 in and it has a Wide Thin Pattern and feels more like my Strat neck. I'm sure I'll adjust to that one as well.

I think you will be fine with the different neck shapes, as they don't vary a ton.

Thanks for the reply, that is generally what people have been telling me. I am sure I will adapt. I hope you enjoy your new SE 24-08. I went ahead and ordered the S2 24-08... It will be a couple months at least before it arrives but I am excited. Have a great day!

Thanks for the reply, that is generally what people have been telling me. I am sure I will adapt. I hope you enjoy your new SE 24-08. I went ahead and ordered the S2 24-08... It will be a couple months at least before it arrives but I am excited. Have a great day!
Lol, I wanted the S2 24-08, but my sales guy said he didn't think they would get any in for quite a while, and the more I researched the SE Custom 24-08, the more I talked myself into it. Lol, after it acclimated to the house temp, I played it all afternoon. Love PRS guitars.

Back