Nebula

It's likely it was a "repeat-customer" pricing from the place I got it from, but the other two places were also selling for less and I know it's pretty typical of them.

No joke, flip flop paint is expensive. I had considered having a guitar body finished last year and it was a good $150-$200 extra compared to already expensive metallic/Kandy/pearl finishes.
The up-charge for the Nebula SS more than makes up for it though, and at 500 pieces it's nowhere small enough number to incur overhead/inconvenience to PRS' finish department.

So by "that'd have been one heck of an expensive paint job." I really meant the price difference between a Nebula SS at MAP from dealers who didn't discount it, versus actual selling price of brand new Silver Sky.

I was told by a very good source that it’s $1,750 per gallon.

Also, you might say I’ve been a pretty good “repeat customer” myself, and nobody I talked to at NAMM was accepting less than MAP. As a matter of fact, when you get yours, let me know. I’ll give you MAP, and you can turn a profit.

Greg was playing a Nebula with maple fretboard. I thought the limited run was rosewood only.
The video is about the 'new' maple neck SS model, not the limited color run of the RW fingerboard model. What he is playing looks like a Dodgem Blue maple neck SS.

I was told by a very good source that it’s $1,750 per gallon.

Also, you might say I’ve been a pretty good “repeat customer” myself, and nobody I talked to at NAMM was accepting less than MAP. As a matter of fact, when you get yours, let me know. I’ll give you MAP, and you can turn a profit.

Found the email w/ the finishing shop that was supposed to do a Strat body in this color:
fender-strat-flipflop-blue-1995-cons-top.jpg

...and they were quoted $120 for 4 ounces. I don't know which brand of paint they were quoted for, and I imagine the cost varies wildly between them.

I'll PM you if I decide to part with it when it eventually shows up, I'll know pretty much immediately if I'll keep it once I get to play the neck.
I'm only looking into breaking even (otherwise you're inciting my GAS to worsen); it'll be less than MAP even accounting for transaction fees + ground shipping.

I have a flip flop paint job on a bass, but had no idea it’s either such expensive paint or even that it’s a type of finish that’d be a big deal. Go figure!

I got it because I needed a new bass for an ad project, it had some features I wanted, it sounded right, plus that was the only finish the model came in.

Now I’m thinking, gee, sell the darn thing and buy that new Sequential Pro 3 synth!!

I have a flip flop paint job on a bass, but had no idea it’s either such expensive paint or even that it’s a type of finish that’d be a big deal. Go figure!

I got it because I needed a new bass for an ad project, it had some features I wanted, it sounded right, plus that was the only finish the model came in.

Now I’m thinking, gee, sell the darn thing and buy that new Sequential Pro 3 synth!!
Pics or it didn't happen!

Well, really, I believe you, just want to see pics. =)

Found the email w/ the finishing shop that was supposed to do a Strat body in this color:
fender-strat-flipflop-blue-1995-cons-top.jpg

...and they were quoted $120 for 4 ounces. I don't know which brand of paint they were quoted for, and I imagine the cost varies wildly between them.

I'll PM you if I decide to part with it when it eventually shows up, I'll know pretty much immediately if I'll keep it once I get to play the neck.
I'm only looking into breaking even (otherwise you're inciting my GAS to worsen); it'll be less than MAP even accounting for transaction fees + ground shipping.
I think I heard Paul say somewhere it’s a flip flop finish done in nitrocellulose. That would make a lot of difference, as I don’t know of anyone doing that type of finish on guitars that wasn’t using some sort of urethane or similar material.

I’ll give you MAP plus $10, just to make sure @11top doesn’t get to that depressing place where there’s nothing left to want. :)

Sounds like conditional "offer and acceptance." I'll have check book and pen in hand.

Well, I do hope it's not nitro (and luckily don't see any mention of that).
I'm not a fan of it for finishes (like this one) that I want to last.

Well, I do hope it's not nitro (and luckily don't see any mention of that).
I'm not a fan of it for finishes (like this one) that I want to last.

I think all Core PRS finishes are now nitro, but I can’t speak to the SS, I’m not sure where it is in the PRS Pantheon of Nomenclature.

Edit’ the 2020 catalog says the SS has nitro on the neck. I assume that means not on the body.

PRS’ nitro finish is honestly nothing like what you’re used to from Gibson and others. I have had several PS with this finish, and it’s wonderful stuff. Looks great, feels great, sounds the business, and isn’t as fragile as folks think, though you do need to exercise a certain minimal amount of care with it.

I ordered one at NAMM. They sold like wild fire. All sold for MAP. All 500 spoken for in 24 hours apparently.

The one on display at NAMM was very cool. From straight on it’s a beautiful deep blue. View it from a 45 degree angle and it’s orange (or several other color variations). Magic! :eek: Howie has had this paint job on a custom 22 for quite some time and he loves it.

I do wonder how long this “limited edition” will remain limited. :rolleyes:

I still dig my Golden Mesa, but it’s now looking for a new home.
Totally bichin’!
nebula.jpg

Back