Nebula

mark cassidy

Did I miss an existing thread on this machine? It looks fabulous. What sort of price we looking at for this thing? I would be very interested in hearing any comparisons with Strats.

Did I miss an existing thread on this machine? It looks fabulous. What sort of price we looking at for this thing? I would be very interested in hearing any comparisons with Strats.
It was a 500 piece run. I say “was” because they were all pre ordered in 2 days. There was a small up charge for the finish over the normal SS price. Of course, people are offering they’re pre order on the usual places for double the price.

It was a 500 piece run. I say “was” because they were all pre ordered in 2 days. There was a small up charge for the finish over the normal SS price. Of course, people are offering they’re pre order on the usual places for double the price.

Double? I'm seeing them for up to $10,000.

Sure is one hell of a paint job that's for sure but paying out that sort of dough for the Nebular to me is plain crazy.!!!
Very true " There's Now't as queer as folk" !!!

The original PRS price was fine, but it'll be, um, interesting to see if the shysters who are putting them out there at ridiculous prices will get them or make good on their (re)sales...

As usual, I'm the last one to know she left me. Sigh.

Here’s Greg Koch making the SS Nebuliser sound kind of OK;)

Double? I'm seeing them for up to $10,000.

:eek:

Sure is one hell of a paint job that's for sure but paying out that sort of dough for the Nebular to me is plain crazy.!!!
Very true " There's Now't as queer as folk" !!!

Never a truer word spoken!

The original PRS price was fine, but it'll be, um, interesting to see if the shysters who are putting them out there at ridiculous prices will get them or make good on their (re)sales...

I sincerely hope not!

EDIT: Probably not a Nebula (difficult to tell and I don’t want to stir up speculation that there’s one with a Maple board!)

Last edited:
That’s absurd. It’s a great finish, but honestly, these types of paint jobs have been on cars for decades. You could find someone to do a refin. 500 isn’t that limited. I’ll be curious to see what they resale for. I’m guessing a lot of “accepted offers” after hype wears off.

I will say, they sound awesome. Glad they did the maple board now. I still don’t want one, but I want one!

I ordered one at NAMM. They sold like wild fire. All sold for MAP. All 500 spoken for in 24 hours apparently.

The one on display at NAMM was very cool. From straight on it’s a beautiful deep blue. View it from a 45 degree angle and it’s orange (or several other color variations). Magic! :eek: Howie has had this paint job on a custom 22 for quite some time and he loves it.

I do wonder how long this “limited edition” will remain limited. :rolleyes:

I still dig my Golden Mesa, but it’s now looking for a new home.

Last edited:
But listing price doesn’t mean squat..............until you find a buyer. Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

This. It's the guitar world version of ticket scalping. They're trying to cash in on the limited nature of the guitar and the frenzy around the initial sale. I wanted one. I missed out. Am I going to buy one from one of these offers? Not a chance. If I end up getting a second Silver Sky this year, it'll be Dodgem Blue like I was originally going to do, but nothing's gonna happen until my local's annual March sale, and Experience in May.

Sometimes you're in the right place at the right time and you come home with a Reclaimed Wood Vela or an original 20 2-channel C. Sometimes you're not and you have a Nebula-shaped hole.

I understand that the boosting of the price (scalping the price) of a particular model of guitar (or anything else for that matter) gives the manufacturer a sort of cool credence / rep but, at the end of the day, it's still - to me at least - uncool. Not by the manufacturer. It is certainly not within their control, I get that. And obviously there is no law against buying and reselling but - again, to me - it is an unworthy thing to do. Buy a guitar and play it and then sell it on, sure. But to take advantage of folks' love of a particular item just don't seem right. Just my ten cents, and incredibly naïve, I know. But then, I think I would rather be the naïve guy with a very nice PRS S2, which I love. These scalpers and sour-faced fortune seekers should enjoy their filthy lucre while they can. Jesus going be here, he going be here soon (Tom Waits).

All sold for MAP

That par is inaccurate. I pre-ordered one and would never have considered paying anywhere close to MAP for it, that'd have been one heck of an expensive paint job.

No idea if I'll like it though:
- I'm sensitive to inconsistent neck shapes. The SS I have is the 2nd one I got, the first one was returned as the neck felt uncomfortable/too thick.
- I like light guitars and not all SS are ~7 lbs.
If I like it it'll replace the one I have, if not I'm hoping to break even...

That par is inaccurate. I pre-ordered one and would never have considered paying anywhere close to MAP for it, that'd have been one heck of an expensive paint job.

No idea if I'll like it though:
- I'm sensitive to inconsistent neck shapes. The SS I have is the 2nd one I got, the first one was returned as the neck felt uncomfortable/too thick.
- I like light guitars and not all SS are ~7 lbs.
If I like it it'll replace the one I have, if not I'm hoping to break even...

1. You're the only person I know who bought one for less than MAP. Consider yourself lucky.
2. That is in fact an incredibly expensive paint job. I was SHOCKED when I was told what a gallon of that paint costs. :eek::eek:

1. You're the only person I know who bought one for less than MAP. Consider yourself lucky.
2. That is in fact an incredibly expensive paint job. I was SHOCKED when I was told what a gallon of that paint costs. :eek::eek:

It's likely it was a "repeat-customer" pricing from the place I got it from, but the other two places were also selling for less and I know it's pretty typical of them.

No joke, flip flop paint is expensive. I had considered having a guitar body finished last year and it was a good $150-$200 extra compared to already expensive metallic/Kandy/pearl finishes.
The up-charge for the Nebula SS more than makes up for it though, and at 500 pieces it's nowhere small enough number to incur overhead/inconvenience to PRS' finish department.

So by "that'd have been one heck of an expensive paint job." I really meant the price difference between a Nebula SS at MAP from dealers who didn't discount it, versus actual selling price of brand new Silver Sky.

Back