Neal Schon Universe Solo Album

Good reading, and I’m glad Neal is still out there getting it done. I saw Journey for the first time in Houston on the Infinity tour, and fell in love with their musicianship, song writing, and vocals. Like many who saw the magic that happened in ‘78, a Journey without Steve and Neal together doesn’t really do it for me, but I am thankful to see both guys still making great music... even if it isn’t together.

Good reading, and I’m glad Neal is still out there getting it done. I saw Journey for the first time in Houston on the Infinity tour, and fell in love with their musicianship, song writing, and vocals. Like many who saw the magic that happened in ‘78, a Journey without Steve and Neal together doesn’t really do it for me, but I am thankful to see both guys still making great music... even if it isn’t together.

Rick, like you, I am a huge Perry/Schon Journey fan. I was excited to learn of Perry’s solo project. However, that last solo album by Perry was really disappointing for me. It didn’t even sound like his voice, and the songs were kind of meh. I’m not sure he still has it. :(

I’m looking forward to listening to Neal’s latest.

I follow Neal on Facebook. He really seems like a down to earth guy. He loves his wife, his guitars and his fans. He responds to questions and is posting videos of him noodling on different guitars, almost daily. Its funny, someone asked him what scales he was playing a certain song in. Neal's response was he had no idea because he doesn't know any scales.

Rick, like you, I am a huge Perry/Schon Journey fan. I was excited to learn of Perry’s solo project. However, that last solo album by Perry was really disappointing for me. It didn’t even sound like his voice, and the songs were kind of meh. I’m not sure he still has it. :(

I’m looking forward to listening to Neal’s latest.
Yes, Traces is not the Perry of old... such is the nature of your instrument being made of flesh, blood, and air. His voice had become quite a bit grainier even before he exited Journey. Even so, he is one of the few 70s rockers I can still listen to in his 70s! Of course, his big challenge is that he’s always going to be compared to a guy named Steve Perry that is less than half his age and mileage. I was glad he put out another album, and it was good to hear his voice again, even if it can’t be his late 70s / early 80s prime.

Neal is blessed with such a melodic sense, something he finally accessed and began to appreciate in Journey. Some of those lines are as big of a part of the song as the lyrics. That’s always been my biggest takeaway from listening to him. It’s a great thing for we guitar players that the same note through the same signal chain will always sound as pristine, even 42 years later. I’m thankful for that!

As a vocalist who has started into his 7th decade this year, I’ve become more empathetic about how age affects ability. Even some of my favorite belters, like Paul Rodgers or Sammy Hagar, have lost a step... which still puts them 1000 steps ahead of me!

I follow Neal on Facebook. He really seems like a down to earth guy. He loves his wife, his guitars and his fans. He responds to questions and is posting videos of him noodling on different guitars, almost daily. Its funny, someone asked him what scales he was playing a certain song in. Neal's response was he had no idea because he doesn't know any scales.

He's the best! I'm his photographer and I get the privilege of seeing him and his awesome guitars on stage night after night. I'm looking forward to getting back out on the road...

Back