Neal Schon Previously at Experience

Bill SAS 513

Just another old guy in a T-shirt
Ok, all...Can anyone tell me the piece Neal and Jonathan Cain played that evening when they serenaded us at the Experience a couple years back?? Pretty sure it was an older Journey instrumental, but can't put my finger on it...Thanks.
(Going to see them in Dallas next week)

Ok, all...Can anyone tell me the piece Neal and Jonathan Cain played that evening when they serenaded us at the Experience a couple years back?? Pretty sure it was an older Journey instrumental, but can't put my finger on it...Thanks.
(Going to see them in Dallas next week)
No clue, but have a safe trip.

True story. It was really amazing. I recall stopping in the middle of an engaging discussion to run into the big tent and see who was playing. I was shocked to see that it was Neal. Not because I didn't think he could play like that... but... because I had never heard him play like that.

Hans, I know!!! They sounded great!!!! Just him and the keyboards, IIRC...
And so frickin melodic!!! (I don't use that term too crazy often, but it just fits.)

Here's a not-great video of it. One of the comments says it's a song called "The Journey (Revelation)" from the 2008 Journey CD "Revelation".

Better, but shorter, video:

And I suspect this is what grabbed @]-[@n$0Ma☩!© by the ears...

Years ago, I read a Guitar Player interview with Neal, and he was talking about sitting backstage with Eddie Van Halen trading licks, and he said Eddie was looking at him kind of amazed, and Eddie said, "I didn't know you could play like that - why don't you record that stuff?" Neal said something like "It doesn't fit our songs." Simple - and somewhat obvious - advice, but it's stuck with me for years.

Years ago, I read a Guitar Player interview with Neal, and he was talking about sitting backstage with Eddie Van Halen trading licks, and he said Eddie was looking at him kind of amazed, and Eddie said, "I didn't know you could play like that - why don't you record that stuff?" Neal said something like "It doesn't fit our songs." Simple - and somewhat obvious - advice, but it's stuck with me for years.

That's why I was blown away at his work on the HSAS album, it was sooo much heavier that what he was putting down with Journey. But if you think about about it, melodic ballads really became Journey's bread and butter after Perry joined the band, so it kind of painted him into the corner a bit in that respect. HSAS on the other hand, was he and Hagar's pet project and Neil could let loose and really wail. It's just unfortunate in that record never got the publicity or exposure it truly deserved. Their cover of Whiter Shade of Pale is stunning, but the originals on there are all killer as well. If you haven't heard it, or haven't heard it recenty, it's worth a (re)listen. Probably one of the best "lost" records of the 80's IMHO.

Last edited:
That's why I was blown away at his work on the HSAS album, it was sooo much heavier that what he was putting down with Journey. But if you think about about it, melodic ballads really became Journey's bread and butter after Perry joined the band, so it kind of painted him into the corner a bit in that respect. HSAS on the other hand, was he and Hagar's pet project and Neil could let lose and really wail. It's just unfortunate in that record never got the publicity or exposure it truly deserved. Their cover of Whiter Shade of Pale is stunning, but the originals on there are all killer as well. If you haven't heard it, or haven't heard it recenty, it's worth a (re)listen. Probably one of the best "lost" records of the 80's IMHO.

LOVE this album!

That's why I was blown away at his work on the HSAS album, it was sooo much heavier that what he was putting down with Journey. But if you think about about it, melodic ballads really became Journey's bread and butter after Perry joined the band, so it kind of painted him into the corner a bit in that respect. HSAS on the other hand, was he and Hagar's pet project and Neil could let lose and really wail. It's just unfortunate in that record never got the publicity or exposure it truly deserved. Their cover of Whiter Shade of Pale is stunning, but the originals on there are all killer as well. If you haven't heard it, or haven't heard it recenty, it's worth a (re)listen. Probably one of the best "lost" records of the 80's IMHO.

Bought it when it first came out. Been listening to it recently. The HSAS version of Whiter Shade of Pale is my favorite version of that song.

You know who blew me away at the Experience? Howard Leese! I was familiar with, and always enjoyed, his work with Heart but his playing at the Experience was a real eye opener. He has great tone, touch, phrasing and restraint, it was all there.
So, any hints as to who's going to be on stage this year??;)

Neal and Steve Morse...there’s my early 80s woodshedding defined. I had the same thunder struck moment as Hans...I froze where I stood, grinned, and closed my eyes. I knew exactly who it was.

Back