NDG: SE HBii Piezo goodness

Hotspur

So, I had to drive my car a bit to get the drive cycle to kick over so I could get it smog checked, and I thought, oh, hey, there's that nice small guitar store down in Manhattan Beach that's a PRS dealer. I'm supposed to drive the car and let it sit for half an hour, so I'll put on my N95 and mess around a bit, maybe I'll get a chance to A/B a S2 594 and an SE HBii Piezo. I mean, they probably won't have both so I probably won't buy ...

Well, they had this, in the color I wanted, with a nice top, and I loved the way it played. Was jamming it through the DSL40 they had, and am now concerned I may need one of those, too (considering it or the Bassbreaker 30r - curious if anyone has opinions on those two amps they feel like sharing!).

Three days in I am very, very happy. I have a feeling this is going to be a lifetime guitar.

The piezo, by the way, is amazing! I mean, I love the 58/15s pickups, they're really right in the sweet spot for me - warm without being overpowering. (The 58/15s+ on my SE Chris Robertson, by contrast, is honestly just too sharp in the bridge. This bites without getting ice-picky at all.)

Am considering if I want to add mini-toggles for coil-tapping, but an amp upgrade probably comes first.

QrBCHZy.jpg

Sweet!!

As a recent DSL40 convert, I say go for it! Mine sounds fantastic, sits great in the mix with my band - and you can get a 6-button foot switch for it that essentially makes it a 4 channel amp with 2 foot switchable masters. Super versatile! Just order the foot switch from Anderton's in England - it was over 33% cheaper to have them ship it to me in Kentucky than it was to order it from anywhere in the US. I swapped the speaker in mine, but that's more preference than anything else, I know a great many people that love the V-Type that comes stock in the amp.

Nice Top ! I would have pounced on that too ! Right color. and flamey /stripey top !! But I was able to collect my HB II in Tri Color, also with a cool flamey/stripey top so ...

It was your comment on the 58/15S being "ice-picky" in your SE Chris Robertson.that caught my eye. I was not familiar with this model (now discoed) but I found one at Dave's Guitar Shop. From his product description, it would seem the "offending" pickup is a 57/08S ... not a 58/15S, which I think is one of PRS's best offshore pickups. Yet to hear a TCI S though ...

Oh that's stunning, I have terminal GAS for a HBII Piezo, but they're like Unicorn poop in the UK/Europe!!!

Back