NDG - Brent Mason, whitewash

watelessness

Made a trade with David Grantham and I landed this whitewashed Brent Mason.
PRS_13_Brent_Mason_front_800.jpg
PRS_13_Brent_Mason_back_800.jpg

To sum up the tone, I'll say that it is a spanky, snappy, snarling, super Strat killer. I'm assuming that the snarl comes from the korina body, but I could be wrong. The single coil settings are exceptional and the bucker settings round out the versatility. It is just such an aggressive, attacking beast with claws. I love the 408 switching combined with the 5-way. The forearm cutout is a nice touch.
:rock:

Egads

One, Two, THIRTEEN!
Very cool. I chatted briefly with him about that one. I wish I could have swung the dough. Glad you got it and are digging it. Your evaluation confirms my need for one of these!

jfine

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
A year ago, I got to talk to PRSh about what he had in the works for us Tele players. He showed me a pic on his cell phone of Brent Mason playing what was probably a prototype, wouldn't tell me what the specs were as they hadn't been finalized yet, and advised me to try a DC3. I did--was really impressed; if I'd had the money I'd have bought it on the spot! As it turned out, it was a good thing I couldn't afford it then, as the Brent Mason was announced earlier this year, and with a little help from a tax refund I was able to get one. It looks just like the one at the top of this thread--whitewash, rosewood board--and it's a great guitar; I'm glad I waited. I'll be bringing the backplate to Sweetwater's Gearfest this year--I'd like to get PRSh and Brent Mason to sign it.

jfine

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
I don't know that I'd call it very Strat-like, although the combined pickup settings in single-coil mode can certainly suggest that. It's got more midrange and a little less high end than my Strat does, but I've got a pretty bright Strat. I've found the PRS 305 to be closer to a Strat, but it won't do the humbucking sounds--the neck humbucker on my Brent Mason comes as close to a jazzbox as I've ever been able to get from a solidbody. As far as I'm concerned, you can't beat the Brent Mason for versatility. The 513 comes close, but I like the single-coil sounds on the Brent Mason better, and I don't really need the heavy humbucker sounds on the 513.