NDG: 1991 Goldtop custom

The gold was special order in that year according to the big blue book :)
For a Custom, probably yes. But not for a Standard. I have the original catalogue cards for the early to mid 90's and they do not list Gold Top for either the stock or custom colors for a Custom guitar. Gold Top however is listed as a custom color for the Standard. It also shows that the Standards Gold Top and Black W/White binding finishes will be over an opaque maple top. These maple tops were not as figured as one would find on a Custom. It is very possible that one could special order a Gold Top finished Custom, but why pay the upcharge for a Custom when the top will never be seen. Also, Birds and Tremolo-up routing were an option on Standards. Either way, Awesome guitar!

Last edited:
Wow, that's a beaut. Looks like a 24 fret McGoldie. Sure looks like a nice one piece back. And signed plate. Gotta like that, too. Enjoy.

Well, I buckled last night and purchased this beauty. Converted to mcarty switching (still has the switch in the case) and 59/09's added (again the hfs pups are in the case) such a beautiful understated instrument. I never get usually do moons but these are something else! I've been told this would have been a special order?

Heres the money shots!

That is nice!!!!! Those early guitars are just magical feeling...
Call it Standard or Custom, I would guess it would sound like a Custom and not the all hog Standards....

13734443_163368230741073_746322423_n.jpg

Pretty much patterned my purchases after that guitar!

I have a very similar guitar except mine is an 89 custom 24 with birds and its all original and has been kept in a case for nearly 30 years. I purchased it from a guy over here and paid S2 money for it! I have had a few bargains over the last few years and this was one of those great buys. As you can see its the guitar in my avatar picture

I have just realised who's guitar this was as myself and Pete are friends on facebook and i have been also talking to him regarding possibly buying his old 62 refin fiesta red strat, he messaged me about the guitar you now have regarding where to sell and price etc. Really glad its gone to a good home and enjoy it as its a cracking guitar

Ha me and Pete are good friends. In fact his 62 is here waiting for a photoshoot. It's a beauty mate. Did he send you the video of it with jerry Donahue playing it? I've had 4 80s PRS now and while this one is just our of the higher price bracket ones if had it's certainly one of the nicest. Such a classy finish and plays great. I'd have liked birds bit I just fell in love. Between this and my private stock leese in covered for PRS I think . Had knaggs etc all but Keep going back to my PRS.

Last edited:
Back