NDG: 1991 Goldtop custom

darkmavis

Well, I buckled last night and purchased this beauty. Converted to mcarty switching (still has the switch in the case) and 59/09's added (again the hfs pups are in the case) such a beautiful understated instrument. I never get usually do moons but these are something else! I've been told this would have been a special order?

Heres the money shots!

Beautiful guitar! However, that may be a Standard, not a Custom. Early Goldtop Standards had opaque maple tops.

Beautiful guitar! However, that may be a Standard, not a Custom. Early Goldtop Standards had opaque maple tops.

You may be right on that. I don't remember the years, except that in '98 when I was looking for my first PRS, they were on the tail end of the Standard Maple Top. The uprout makes me think it's a Custom though, since I wouldn't expect that to have been an option on the Standard Maple Top.

Either way, I wouldn't call anything about it "special order". A Custom would've had the option of either moons or birds, while the Standard Maple Top was moons only.

Long story short, killer guitar! I still prefer the old Goldtop color to the newer one.

Back