NBD - SE Kingfisher in Tortoise Shell

shinksma

What? I get a title?
So in a separate thread I had begun asking questions to help research my next possible acquisition, a PRS Bass. I had been considering everything: SE line, current GG 4 or 5, and older EB models.

In that thread I explained that I stumbled upon a great deal for an SE Kingfisher and took the plunge. It arrived today (here at my office). Sorry for the rotation - they look correct on my PC, when uploaded to Photobucket get rotated to the right, but when corrected on PB do not change for the direct link. growf:

20170621_103713_1024_zpssaphsp4l.jpg

20170621_103747_1024_zpsyb4frejm.jpg

The thing is pretty well mint except for fingerprints. I suspect it was a store demo model that wasn't played much, so they just wanted to move it out. The maple/walnut center is more visible through the tortoise shell color finish that I thought it would be, which is what I wanted.

Plays really really nicely. Action is fantastic, sounds really good even through a small battery powered Roland microcube meant for normal guitar.

I'll take photos outside in the sunshine when I get a chance.

It came without a gig bag (part of why it was such a good deal), so I will probably use a spare hardshell bass case I have at home for now.

Nice score!

I'm twiddling my thumbs for the day they make a 5'er of it, then I'm on that like stink on a pig.

Awesome bass! Congrats! Every guitar player should have at least 1 bass.

This is my third bass - the other two are P-Bass clones of middling to poor quality. The Kingfisher plays so smooth in comparison!

Nice score!

I'm twiddling my thumbs for the day they make a 5'er of it, then I'm on that like stink on a pig.
I too was holding out for a 5-string variant, but at the price this one was at I couldn't resist!

If a 5-string came out I'd still buy one, though...

Unless I get a GG-5 first!

Thanks everyone!

I put down a very simple (on purpose) bass track last night for some music I'm developing - it is thematic in nature, so the basic chords are simple slow strums held for the whole bar, so the bass should follow. It is remarkably hard to play simple stuff when you want to go all Geddy Lee!

Anyway, the Kingfisher was very pleasant to play, and I didn't feel like I was fighting it take after take.

Now I need to find a strap for it - I borrowed one from another guitar for now. Each guitar needs its own strap!

Bangin'!

I'm waiting for the right Kestrel to land within shooting distance.
The Kestral is the best value in bass guitar, imo...period. My oldest son, Drew, put BIG semi-flat strings on his and transformed it into a completely different instrument. So versatile. No nut adjustment needed, just truss rod. Do it!

So in a separate thread I had begun asking questions to help research my next possible acquisition, a PRS Bass. I had been considering everything: SE line, current GG 4 or 5, and older EB models.

In that thread I explained that I stumbled upon a great deal for an SE Kingfisher and took the plunge. It arrived today (here at my office). Sorry for the rotation - they look correct on my PC, when uploaded to Photobucket get rotated to the right, but when corrected on PB do not change for the direct link. growf:

20170621_103713_1024_zpssaphsp4l.jpg

20170621_103747_1024_zpsyb4frejm.jpg

The thing is pretty well mint except for fingerprints. I suspect it was a store demo model that wasn't played much, so they just wanted to move it out. The maple/walnut center is more visible through the tortoise shell color finish that I thought it would be, which is what I wanted.

Plays really really nicely. Action is fantastic, sounds really good even through a small battery powered Roland microcube meant for normal guitar.

I'll take photos outside in the sunshine when I get a chance.

It came without a gig bag (part of why it was such a good deal), so I will probably use a spare hardshell bass case I have at home for now.
GREAT SCORE
Congrats.

Back