NBD: SE Kestrel

Sage

While you were partying I studied the guitar.
Well, my SE Kestrel arrived yesterday. I got the black one, will post a picture soon but you know what they look like by now. After messing around with it a little, here are my initial impressions.

First off, Guitar Center *is* shipping the gig bags with these. It came in the box, I didn’t have to special order it. Sales guy told me all the SE guitars come with bags; unless he was full of it, maybe their policy toward the SE line has changed now that they’re under new ownership.

My biggest concern about these basses was the neck width. I really like the slim width of the Jazz neck, and these necks are 2mm wider. Not as wide as a P-bass or a Ricky, but wider than I'm used to. After messing around with it, I think it's fine. It's probably at the very edge of what I'd be comfortable with, and it'll take some getting used to, but I think I can adapt.

I was also concerned about the fretboard radius not being as flat as I'm used to, but as I suspected, it's not really noticeable. Radius is more of an issue if you bend strings, and I don’t. It might be noticeable when barring strings for arpeggios and chords, but we’ll see.

The big question is whether or not this bass is worthy of replacing my current bass, a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz 70s bass (don't laugh -- with a couple of mods it's an astounding instrument) which I’ve modded with a Badass II bridge.

The short answer is: I don't know yet. Which is disappointing, because I wanted the Kestrel to blow me away. It may still beat out the Squier, but it's not as easy a decision.

My favorite bass tones come from early Rush and Yes records, usually recorded on a Rickenbacker 4001 or a Fender Jazz bass. Not everyone knows this, but the Fender Jazz was actually developed in response to the popularity of the Rickenbacker 4001 -- the dual single-coil layout is their commonality. So what attracted me to both the Squier and the Kestrel is that they both incorporate elements of each of those classics.

The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz 70s bass is an interesting animal. The pickups are Duncan Designed (though Squier has switched to in-house pickups since I bought mine) and the body is made out of solid maple, probably because it looks like ash but is easier to get in Indonesia. For me, that's actually a step up -- the Rickenbacker 4001's body is entirely maple. Because of this, the Squier has a really aggressive growl in the upper mids and top end that really cuts through a rock mix. It sounds dirty and mean and I love it.

On the other hand, the Kestrel has a through-neck construction, just like the Rickenbacker, but the wings are alder, like a standard Jazz bass. The build quality is definitely a cut above the Squier, which is to be expected at this price point. And the Hipshot hardware is probably better than anything you'll see on a bass three times this price. Solid is an understatement; it’s downright luxurious. And the Kestrel's design is sleek and beautiful to look at.

However, the Kestrel's tone is lacking in the mids compared to the Squier, and the attack is not as sharp. I don't know if it's the pickups or the construction. It has deeper lows, and great resonance, but it doesn't have that growl. It’s not a bad tone by any means — others will likely prefer it. But in an A/B tone comparison of the two I keep coming back to the Squier.

And there’s the rub. I prefer the tone and playability of the Squier, but I love the construction and aesthetics of the Kestrel. The Kestrel is a great bass, for sure, but it's not the knockout I'd hoped for.

Thanks for posting. I hope it grows on you a bit more with time.

I am a little disappointed there isn't a maple fretboard option.

Last edited:
I've always felt that if the neck and body feel right, it`s easy to change pickups on a guitar. Then it's truly yours.

I've always felt that if the neck and body feel right, it`s easy to change pickups on a guitar. Then it's truly yours.
Maybe find some J pickups that are known for bright aggressive top end snarl?

I got a great deal on a like-new used SE Kestrel bass in 3-color sunburst from Guitar Center. I chewed him down $50 which made it 60% of street prices for a new one, and that's usually what Guitar Center offers for clean perfect used stuff that walks in the door. So I got it for close to wholesale used prices, a pretty good deal! They had just marked a Schecter Stilleto down $100 to the same price but the Kestrel was in much better condition and stole my heart. Turns out the Schecter and the PRS SE might have been made in the same factory in Korea. Schecter got better electronics, PRS SE got better everything else.
Personal opinions:
Pros:
Neck width is just right for me.
Neck radius is just right for me.
Fret size and height are just right for me.
Heavy body balances the neck well.
Shorter neck and heavy bridge way at the ass end of the body mean it's not neck-heavy, neck is very solid, yet has the wonderful sound of a 34" long-scale.
Thru-body with superb access to all frets.
Very solid, sufficient mass, good sustain, good upper harmonics.
Sufficiently large body to be stable against my own large body LOL.
Excellent detail, fit, and finish.
Fantastic edge binding on the fingerboard, I just wish they'd done the headstock too. It's not the type that executes the fret-end slope in the binding, but it's not some crummy slot-after binding that doesn't do anything. The tangs don't protrude into the binding. I don't even know how they do that? Do they install the frets before they machine in the binding slot and glue in the binding (probably, a decent automated procedure)? Do they trim the tang off the end of each fret before installation (risky business and labor-intensive, unforgiving)? Anyway, it's beautiful and feels as smooth as any I've seen. Good job. Kingfisher doesn't have it.
Massive Hipshot bridge that locks saddle positions in all planes. A little awkward to adjust intonation perhaps, I haven't tried yet, but WORKS GREAT for playing! So superior to some crude thing like on a Telecaster, with saddles wiggling sideways.
Some people really like the Hipshot tuners. They work OK.
Single-coil pickups sound authentic.
The sunburst is very traditional-looking. Very classy IMHO.
No damn batteries.
There isn't any horrible thick sticky finish coating on the fingerboard.
I like the birds. Birds are good, they sing and fly and helped Cinderella with her chores.
Sounds great.
Plays great.
Totally honest and up-front wording on the back of the headstock about where it is made.
Cons:
Truss rod cover has only one screw, is loose, and rattles.
HEAVY alder body wings, especially compared to the Schecter. Invest in an extra-wide padded strap.
Single-coil pickups hum like single-coil pickups. I ordered Nordstrand noiseless, which are not stacked but under the covers there are two 2-string pickups with one reversed magnet and coil, so they buck hum with the same technique as the Precision pickups.
Open tuning gears have problems with dirt, sawdust, abrasives, and I prefer sealed because I use tools in all rooms. These open gears are also rather small, at least compared to an old Precision. They do work fine so far and some people love them. Other people expect locking tuners in this price range, but never get them LOL.
The neck is a bit clunky. Or massive. Or solid. It's all what you do or don't like.
The red is pretty but you don't get to see the wood. The sunburst lets you see some wood but isn't all that pretty IMHO.
No pickup selector switch.
Only 20 frets, Kingfisher has more.
Volume pots don't seem to load much which is good, but all their action seems to occur in the first few degrees of rotation from full, and it is difficult to adjust, very delicate, just a little motion does too much. Makes me wonder whether these are metric pots.
It is not immediately visually recognizable. It doesn't say PRS it just says SE. You have to be a soundgear weenie to know what it is.
No maple fingerboard option.
I assume the frets are not stainless, and stainless are my strong preference.
Birds are evil, they have no sphincter and poop everywhere uncontrollably.

Last edited:
Well, my SE Kestrel arrived yesterday. I got the black one, will post a picture soon but you know what they look like by now. After messing around with it a little, here are my initial impressions.

First off, Guitar Center *is* shipping the gig bags with these. It came in the box, I didn’t have to special order it. Sales guy told me all the SE guitars come with bags; unless he was full of it, maybe their policy toward the SE line has changed now that they’re under new ownership.

My biggest concern about these basses was the neck width. I really like the slim width of the Jazz neck, and these necks are 2mm wider. Not as wide as a P-bass or a Ricky, but wider than I'm used to. After messing around with it, I think it's fine. It's probably at the very edge of what I'd be comfortable with, and it'll take some getting used to, but I think I can adapt.

I was also concerned about the fretboard radius not being as flat as I'm used to, but as I suspected, it's not really noticeable. Radius is more of an issue if you bend strings, and I don’t. It might be noticeable when barring strings for arpeggios and chords, but we’ll see.

The big question is whether or not this bass is worthy of replacing my current bass, a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz 70s bass (don't laugh -- with a couple of mods it's an astounding instrument) which I’ve modded with a Badass II bridge.

The short answer is: I don't know yet. Which is disappointing, because I wanted the Kestrel to blow me away. It may still beat out the Squier, but it's not as easy a decision.

My favorite bass tones come from early Rush and Yes records, usually recorded on a Rickenbacker 4001 or a Fender Jazz bass. Not everyone knows this, but the Fender Jazz was actually developed in response to the popularity of the Rickenbacker 4001 -- the dual single-coil layout is their commonality. So what attracted me to both the Squier and the Kestrel is that they both incorporate elements of each of those classics.

The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz 70s bass is an interesting animal. The pickups are Duncan Designed (though Squier has switched to in-house pickups since I bought mine) and the body is made out of solid maple, probably because it looks like ash but is easier to get in Indonesia. For me, that's actually a step up -- the Rickenbacker 4001's body is entirely maple. Because of this, the Squier has a really aggressive growl in the upper mids and top end that really cuts through a rock mix. It sounds dirty and mean and I love it.

On the other hand, the Kestrel has a through-neck construction, just like the Rickenbacker, but the wings are alder, like a standard Jazz bass. The build quality is definitely a cut above the Squier, which is to be expected at this price point. And the Hipshot hardware is probably better than anything you'll see on a bass three times this price. Solid is an understatement; it’s downright luxurious. And the Kestrel's design is sleek and beautiful to look at.

However, the Kestrel's tone is lacking in the mids compared to the Squier, and the attack is not as sharp. I don't know if it's the pickups or the construction. It has deeper lows, and great resonance, but it doesn't have that growl. It’s not a bad tone by any means — others will likely prefer it. But in an A/B tone comparison of the two I keep coming back to the Squier.

And there’s the rub. I prefer the tone and playability of the Squier, but I love the construction and aesthetics of the Kestrel. The Kestrel is a great bass, for sure, but it's not the knockout I'd hoped for.

Sorry she didn't knock you out. I have had guitars disappoint me before, where I am expecting to be blown away and then I am not. I have also hastily gotten rid of things during that period. Sounds like the two bases might complement each other nicely. Hope it all works out!

I got a great deal on a like-new used SE Kestrel bass in 3-color sunburst from Guitar Center. I chewed him down $50 which made it 60% of street prices for a new one, and that's usually what Guitar Center offers for clean perfect used stuff that walks in the door. So I got it for close to wholesale used prices, a pretty good deal! They had just marked a Schecter Stilleto down $100 to the same price but the Kestrel was in much better condition and stole my heart. Turns out the Schecter and the PRS SE might have been made in the same factory in Korea. Schecter got better electronics, PRS SE got better everything else.
Personal opinions:
Pros:
Neck width is just right for me.
Neck radius is just right for me.
Fret size and height are just right for me.
Heavy body balances the neck well.
Shorter neck and heavy bridge way at the ass end of the body mean it's not neck-heavy, neck is very solid, yet has the wonderful sound of a 34" long-scale.
Thru-body with superb access to all frets.
Very solid, sufficient mass, good sustain, good upper harmonics.
Sufficiently large body to be stable against my own large body LOL.
Excellent detail, fit, and finish.
Fantastic edge binding on the fingerboard, I just wish they'd done the headstock too. It's not the type that executes the fret-end slope in the binding, but it's not some crummy slot-after binding that doesn't do anything. The tangs don't protrude into the binding. I don't even know how they do that? Do they install the frets before they machine in the binding slot and glue in the binding (probably, a decent automated procedure)? Do they trim the tang off the end of each fret before installation (risky business and labor-intensive, unforgiving)? Anyway, it's beautiful and feels as smooth as any I've seen. Good job. Kingfisher doesn't have it.
Massive Hipshot bridge that locks saddle positions in all planes. A little awkward to adjust intonation perhaps, I haven't tried yet, but WORKS GREAT for playing! So superior to some crude thing like on a Telecaster, with saddles wiggling sideways.
Some people really like the Hipshot tuners. They work OK.
Single-coil pickups sound authentic.
The sunburst is very traditional-looking. Very classy IMHO.
No damn batteries.
There isn't any horrible thick sticky finish coating on the fingerboard.
I like the birds. Birds are good, they sing and fly and helped Cinderella with her chores.
Sounds great.
Plays great.
Totally honest and up-front wording on the back of the headstock about where it is made.
Cons:
Truss rod cover has only one screw, is loose, and rattles.
HEAVY alder body wings, especially compared to the Schecter. Invest in an extra-wide padded strap.
Single-coil pickups hum like single-coil pickups. I ordered Nordstrand noiseless, which are not stacked but under the covers there are two 2-string pickups with one reversed magnet and coil, so they buck hum with the same technique as the Precision pickups.
Open tuning gears have problems with dirt, sawdust, abrasives, and I prefer sealed because I use tools in all rooms. These open gears are also rather small, at least compared to an old Precision. They do work fine so far and some people love them. Other people expect locking tuners in this price range, but never get them LOL.
The neck is a bit clunky. Or massive. Or solid. It's all what you do or don't like.
The red is pretty but you don't get to see the wood. The sunburst lets you see some wood but isn't all that pretty IMHO.
No pickup selector switch.
Only 20 frets, Kingfisher has more.
Volume pots don't seem to load much which is good, but all their action seems to occur in the first few degrees of rotation from full, and it is difficult to adjust, very delicate, just a little motion does too much. Makes me wonder whether these are metric pots.
It is not immediately visually recognizable. It doesn't say PRS it just says SE. You have to be a soundgear weenie to know what it is.
No maple fingerboard option.
I assume the frets are not stainless, and stainless are my strong preference.
Birds are evil, they have no sphincter and poop everywhere uncontrollably.

Those are some very thorough and insightful pros vs. cons! Especially about the bird poop.

Q: Do you know what that white stuff is on top of the bird poop? A: It's bird poop, too...

Those are some very thorough and insightful pros vs. cons! Especially about the bird poop.

Q: Do you know what that white stuff is on top of the bird poop? A: It's bird poop, too...

Actually the white things are urates. Birds do have small amounts of liquid urine too, but they (along with reptiles and even some mammals) conserve water by getting rid of most of it as a solid mass. So there are three different parts, but they do come out together. ;)

Actually the white things are urates. Birds do have small amounts of liquid urine too, but they (along with reptiles and even some mammals) conserve water by getting rid of most of it as a solid mass. So there are three different parts, but they do come out together. ;)

Marlin Perkins: "While Jim wrestles with the deadly alligator, Mutual of Omaha helps you wrestle with life's problems..."

Sales guy told me all the SE guitars come with bags
All SE's, to the UK anyway, come with the very nice (burgundy/red in my case) gig bag with 'SE' on them.

$T2eC16Z,!)!E9s2fDPDuBR,F!pp+7Q~~60_35.JPG

Back