NBD! (New Bike Day)

Best ride so far today.
Delta Watershed park area is known for some MTB romping and stomping. Nothing outrageous, but much more than I've done so far.
Rode to the watershed and back. Just under 20k total.
The path there is easy crushed gravel. Inside the shed varies from wide (not very much) to single track mostly. Lots of roots, stones, a few logs, and some nasty rocks with narrow passage.
Some of the downhill was not easy for me yet. I'm well versed with standing, but I found myself clinching the grips and too much tensing in my shoulders and back. I'ma pay for that tomorrow.
No wipeouts but they were available. My buddy almost went down but miraculously saved it. The shed has numerous trails with varying difficulty. Did most of the hard"ish" ones.
Near the end there was an opportunity to go down a very steep trail. I opted out. Being tired and taking chances (as previously stated) is not in my plans until I am better prepared.
The ride to the shed is mostly downhill. Coming back home is nasty uphill obviously. The Fathom E+ killed those hills. Ate them up and spat them out. Glorious. Got back with about 75% battery left.
Started to get an issue with the derailleur. In the top half of the cassette it was trying to shift by itself but failing. Tried to adust it with the screw at the shifter, and by adjusting the cable at the derailleur to no avail.
Will figure that out or visit the shop.
19.5km covered. Elevation 264m. Average speed 13.2kph. Max speed 32kph. Time 1h 28m.
Nice... Loved it.
Getting back in shape can be piles of fun.

For that steep scary stuff, the dropper post is awesome for that as it gets the seat right out of your way. Tons more confidence with the seat out of the way. I'd highly recommend one if you plan on doing single track - especially anything with steep sections. "white knuckling" the grips is common until you get more off road miles in. You start to get used to stuff you used to think was insane and get more comfortable on the grips.

regarding your derailleur. as mentioned above, it's likely just cable stretch but it also could be your derailleur hanger. If you bang that on anything it can bend quite easily and put the whole thing out of alignment. That makes adjustments of the cable from the shifter useless. Bike shop can either replace or straighten that for you.

For that steep scary stuff, the dropper post is awesome for that as it gets the seat right out of your way. Tons more confidence with the seat out of the way. I'd highly recommend one if you plan on doing single track - especially anything with steep sections. "white knuckling" the grips is common until you get more off road miles in. You start to get used to stuff you used to think was insane and get more comfortable on the grips.

regarding your derailleur. as mentioned above, it's likely just cable stretch but it also could be your derailleur hanger. If you bang that on anything it can bend quite easily and put the whole thing out of alignment. That makes adjustments of the cable from the shifter useless. Bike shop can either replace or straighten that for you.
I just remembered that on my way back from Pitt Lake I went over a nasty bump with the bike on my rack on the back of the car. When I stopped I saw that one of the rack arms had fallen. Maybe the derailleur got smacked. Never had an inkling of trouble until yesterday.
I think a shop visit is in order.
Might try some gloves when I'm there too.

I never had a problem with a hanger until my current bike. I hit the derailleur on a rock an bent the hanger. Then I got it straightened and bent it on my very next ride. I got it straightened again and a few months later it was bent. not event sure how I bent it. After the third time, I put a new hanger on instead and haven't had an issue since. Based on that I would say straighten in once. then just get a new one if you bend it again. ....but if your lucky its just a stretched cable.

Yeah full finger gloves if you ride trails is recommended.

I never had a problem with a hanger until my current bike. I hit the derailleur on a rock an bent the hanger. Then I got it straightened and bent it on my very next ride. I got it straightened again and a few months later it was bent. not event sure how I bent it. After the third time, I put a new hanger on instead and haven't had an issue since. Based on that I would say straighten in once. then just get a new one if you bend it again. ....but if your lucky its just a stretched cable.

Yeah full finger gloves if you ride trails is recommended.
Good insight,
Thank you for that.

Well, I got my first ride of the season in last night. I know, it's late for that. Anyway, I haven't said anything here but I've not been feeling well for a while and haven't worked out in a month. Went to the doctor two weeks ago and think we figured it out, so I was ready to get a good workout in. By the time I got the bike out, I could see it needed a little air in both tires, but didn't want to hassle with it. (Tested after the ride at 36lbs and 32lbs! Doh!) Giant mountain bike, not a road racer. In fact, it's steal frame, not aluminum, so not a lightweight either.

My ride was 1 hour and 2 minutes with an average speed of 14.39 mph. Not quite the 15mph I shoot for, but given it was the first time on the bike and the tires were low, not too bad.

And yes, I'm feeling it this morning. :)

Well, I got my first ride of the season in last night. I know, it's late for that. Anyway, I haven't said anything here but I've not been feeling well for a while and haven't worked out in a month. Went to the doctor two weeks ago and think we figured it out, so I was ready to get a good workout in. By the time I got the bike out, I could see it needed a little air in both tires, but didn't want to hassle with it. (Tested after the ride at 36lbs and 32lbs! Doh!) Giant mountain bike, not a road racer. In fact, it's steal frame, not aluminum, so not a lightweight either.

My ride was 1 hour and 2 minutes with an average speed of 14.39 mph. Not quite the 15mph I shoot for, but given it was the first time on the bike and the tires were low, not too bad.

Hope all is well. I've been sick off and on all year, which is very strange for me. That's part of my excuse for not riding this year.

Been getting back out there for some short rides (6-7 miles) on my 3 speed lately. That's a bike that will get you in shape with the hills we have around here. Going to treat myself with a Brooks saddle shortly.

VegwNzD.jpg

Hope all is well. I've been sick off and on all year, which is very strange for me. That's part of my excuse for not riding this year.

Been getting back out there for some short rides (6-7 miles) on my 3 speed lately. That's a bike that will get you in shape with the hills we have around here. Going to treat myself with a Brooks saddle shortly.

VegwNzD.jpg

Brookes saddle eh! Buns of steel? (Well until it’s broken in! The saddles that is!!);)

A Brooks will look good on that bike. My started feeling good after about 50 hours of riding and was supremely comfortable after about 70.

VegwNzD.jpg

Bro, hope all is good!

Life sucks when you can't go out and ride because the smoke from wildfires is so bad (how bad is it?) that we are told NOT to go outside, or do any strenuous exercise.
I went out on Sunday for a 20km ride, and let me tell you... I PAID for that decision on Monday!
Headache, eye burn, lung hack...
Not doing that again until it clears. Vancouver looks like a wasteland. The sun is a blurry orange blob that you can stare at!
But... we shall persevere. Maybe this weekend!

Life sucks when you can't go out and ride because the smoke from wildfires is so bad (how bad is it?) that we are told NOT to go outside, or do any strenuous exercise.
I went out on Sunday for a 20km ride, and let me tell you... I PAID for that decision on Monday!
Headache, eye burn, lung hack...
Not doing that again until it clears. Vancouver looks like a wasteland. The sun is a blurry orange blob that you can stare at!
But... we shall persevere. Maybe this weekend!
That’s terrible. Sorry to hear this. Clear skies and clean air to you soon!

yeah I'm seeing pics from my friends that are out west. (One is traveling around the country and the other is in Vancouver for Crankworx (MTB festival / race/ event) All of their pics are hazy / smoky. It looks rough out there now.

yeah I'm seeing pics from my friends that are out west. (One is traveling around the country and the other is in Vancouver for Crankworx (MTB festival / race/ event) All of their pics are hazy / smoky. It looks rough out there now.
That is going to be really bad for every entrant.

Back