NBD! (New Bike Day)

Me too, Worst TdF crash I'd seen live. But Gilbert going off the mountain this year was pretty brutal. He got pulled back up to the road, rode away, and I think even finished the stage. But he broke his kneecap and had to abandon. Really scary to see when it happened...

-Ray

I was watching when it happened. Scary moment. Especially since it was so close to the spot that Casartelli died in '95. You couldn't tell how far of a drop that was from the camera angles they had. Then when they showed him getting help up, the size of the rocks that were down there....lucky, for sure.

The Richie Porte accident last year was pretty scary looking too.

And this one from the '16 Olympics. I actually thought I watched someone die.

I saw all three of those - I actually yelled out when Gilbert crashed. Reminded me of Ullrich nearly 20 years ago.

I can’t remember the guy’s name or the year, but the most scared I was watching a crash was the guy who went over the side on a descent. I honestly didn’t think he was going to stop sliding down the mountain.

Yeah was low speed fortunately. Driver wasn't looking while rolling through a red light to turn. But when you apply force like that, the wheels turn into tacos...

I hear ya. Even my wife picks on me when the lycra comes out. The practical advantages are invaluable on longer rides, though.
Really??? My wife loves it when I put on spandex. Ok, not really, but she should! LOL

I've never had GAS for music gear like I had it for bike gear for a while. I essentially had a semi-pro repair shop in my basement and I always had a crazy number of frames and parts such that my wife never noticed if anything came in or went out. I was way into it. The GAS didn't stop until I spent all my money on a custom road bike fitted, designed and made by Tom Kellogg at Spectrum cycles (he's they guy who designed all of the old Merlin frames). First time I threw a leg over the bike I knew within about 3 blocks that I'd never been on anything that handled like it did. Then I got him to build me another one with S&S couplers (so you break a bike down and pack it - barely - in a suitcase) and slightly more relaxed geometry for light touring and I rode that thing all over the place, the Rockies, the Dolomites, Wales, etc, etc. Those two bikes were so incredibly sublime I never wanted anything else again ever. They were crazy expensive for the time (although today's prices for high end spec bikes would put them to shame) but if I'd have bought those ten years sooner it would have saved me a LOT of money in the long run. I just sold those two Spectrums within the past year and that's how I've financed my resurgent guitar habit. The second one paid for a lot of the 594 I had recently. Sold one to a guy in Switzerland who send me photos every now and then of it in the Alps - nice to see it getting used like that!

-Ray

From 1970 - 2000s, I had only one bike, a Raleigh Professional; it was a very high spec bike for its ancient day, made to compete with the then-popular (in the racing world in my area, anyway) Schwinn Paramount.

It had 531 double-butted tubing, Campagnolo gears, derailleur, hubs, rims, brakes, seat stem, gooseneck, and TT bars. I think I wore out 3 or 4 seats, two sets of gears, a derailleur, and several rims and hubs with that thing. Still looked new when I gave it to my son to ride, though, and it even made an appearance for about a second in a 30 Seconds to Mars rock video!

One bike, 40 years not wanting or buying a different bike, even though later bikes are/were much more advanced? Not too shabby, right?

Of course, for much of that time I had one electric guitar, my 1965 SG Special, and one acoustic, a Martin, that also was with me for a long time, one Maestro fuzz, one Vox wah (both from 1966-7), one grand piano, a key bass, and one combo organ. And one amp from 1968 until the early 90s, a Fender Bassman. I think I used the original tubes on that thing for 20 years. Tubes were pretty good then. No one changed their tubes unless one blew.

All bought new, because, WTF, I’m old! But I took good care of that stuff.

In those days, my GAS was confined to cars. I was pretty happy with my other stuff. Now I have GAS for all the studio junk, down to patch cables. LOL

But the bike was stolen a couple of years ago in LA. Whoever did it cut the lock right off in broad daylight on a busy LA street, while my son was in a store for maybe two minutes!

Last edited:
First, I have to say, I totally want one of those ebikes. (Specialized Turbo Levo I think??) From what I hear, you still get a workout with these bikes but you can just go further and faster (uphill and flat land) That's at least the message the bike companies seem to be pushing.

But there is a ton of negativity toward them still which I think is weird. I haven't seen one out on the trails but if some guy blows by me up hill i'm gonna be jealous! I can really only get in 10-15 miles tops on my local trails before I'm toast but I think I could get in 20-30 on an ebike in the same time. And if you are not getting the workout you want, you can scale back the motor assist.

Anyway, here's my bike. (i'm always GASing for a new one or at least some carbon parts)
image1.jpg

First, I have to say, I totally want one of those ebikes. (Specialized Turbo Levo I think??) From what I hear, you still get a workout with these bikes but you can just go further and faster (uphill and flat land) That's at least the message the bike companies seem to be pushing.

But there is a ton of negativity toward them still which I think is weird. I haven't seen one out on the trails but if some guy blows by me up hill i'm gonna be jealous! I can really only get in 10-15 miles tops on my local trails before I'm toast but I think I could get in 20-30 on an ebike in the same time. And if you are not getting the workout you want, you can scale back the motor assist.

Anyway, here's my bike. (i'm always GASing for a new one or at least some carbon parts)
image1.jpg
Yup... I'll be able to scale back the assist as I get stronger and leaner... basically back to where I was 20 years ago or as close as possible.
That bike is a beauty!

I certainly got a workout every time I took one out.
To me, having more range let’s me see more.

Best ride so far today.
Delta Watershed park area is known for some MTB romping and stomping. Nothing outrageous, but much more than I've done so far.
Rode to the watershed and back. Just under 20k total.
The path there is easy crushed gravel. Inside the shed varies from wide (not very much) to single track mostly. Lots of roots, stones, a few logs, and some nasty rocks with narrow passage.
Some of the downhill was not easy for me yet. I'm well versed with standing, but I found myself clinching the grips and too much tensing in my shoulders and back. I'ma pay for that tomorrow.
No wipeouts but they were available. My buddy almost went down but miraculously saved it. The shed has numerous trails with varying difficulty. Did most of the hard"ish" ones.
Near the end there was an opportunity to go down a very steep trail. I opted out. Being tired and taking chances (as previously stated) is not in my plans until I am better prepared.
The ride to the shed is mostly downhill. Coming back home is nasty uphill obviously. The Fathom E+ killed those hills. Ate them up and spat them out. Glorious. Got back with about 75% battery left.
Started to get an issue with the derailleur. In the top half of the cassette it was trying to shift by itself but failing. Tried to adust it with the screw at the shifter, and by adjusting the cable at the derailleur to no avail.
Will figure that out or visit the shop.
19.5km covered. Elevation 264m. Average speed 13.2kph. Max speed 32kph. Time 1h 28m.
Nice... Loved it.
Getting back in shape can be piles of fun.

No biggie on the derailleur. Like guitar strings, new shifter and brake cables need a bit of stretching. I'm sure the shop can adjust it right up. Once the cables settle in, they'll need little for a few years.

Glad you're having fun! You're helping motivate me to get my all terrain bike back in action.

No biggie on the derailleur. Like guitar strings, new shifter and brake cables need a bit of stretching. I'm sure the shop can adjust it right up. Once the cables settle in, they'll need little for a few years.

Glad you're having fun! You're helping motivate me to get my all terrain bike back in action.
Thanks garrett
In the eternally awesome words from Starsky and Hutch...

Back