NBD! My New Bass Has Arrived :D

Wakester

Re Member
My 2014 SE Kestrel Bass has arrived from Dave's Guitars without incident. The unboxing was heart-racing (could have been the caffine, not sure though) Dave's had this listed as a "Used" in "Very Good" condition Bass on Reverb. I have to say it is Like New with no visible signs of play or wear. The peal away is still on the pick guard and TRC. It came with the SE Softshell case, but no case candy.

On first look and play, this is a beauty to behold. The metallic red finish reminds me of my 1992 Ford Flareside F150. Its kind of like a deep candy apple. My pictures do not do it justice, as like all things I do I am an amateur.
gHC0i3S.jpg

uSr5hTK.jpg

N7aKTVF.jpg

tlp4Thj.jpg

I find it interesting that this Bass came with Hipshot Hardware, their factory is about an hour and half drive from me in Interlaken NY.

Looks like a very nice one. I just received mine from Dave’s, it’s a SE Kingfisher.
Like yours just like new. I was torn on which one to get but very happy with this.best action I’ve ever had. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am.

Nice Bass! Congrats

Been looking at those myself, thinking of getting a Kestrel to compliment my Kingfisher.

Awesome! As mentioned before, I'm considering getting a Kestrel to match my wife's Kingfisher. Those SE basses are great bang for the buck.

Awesome! As mentioned before, I'm considering getting a Kestrel to match my wife's Kingfisher. Those SE basses are great bang for the buck.
Yes, they absolutely are. And for what Dave's is selling these "Used" models for, you can almost buy 2 for the price of a brand new one.

@Wakester -

Am also interested in a Kestrel soon. Knowing that these are single-coil pickups, is there any significant hum from the single-coils, or has PRS incorporated a noise-cancelling system? (the Kingfisher is also on my wishlist, but am considering both until I hear subjective personal experiences from owners, pros and cons).

YT videos are OK, but finding new owners who evaluates a bass with single coils sometimes only speaks the bass' good points. Tell us your thoughts for our benefit, please.

@Wakester -

Am also interested in a Kestrel soon. Knowing that these are single-coil pickups, is there any significant hum from the single-coils, or has PRS incorporated a noise-cancelling system? (the Kingfisher is also on my wishlist, but am considering both until I hear subjective personal experiences from owners, pros and cons).

YT videos are OK, but finding new owners who evaluates a bass with single coils sometimes only speaks the bass' good points. Tell us your thoughts for our benefit, please.
For singlencoils, the pickups are quiet in terms of hum and noise. They do however pack a punch and are sensitive to even the slightest sting movement. I've only had a few minutes play time so far, but they do sound most excellent through my Ampeg BA-108. Even at low volume they are clear and articulate.

For singlencoils, the pickups are quiet in terms of hum and noise. They do however pack a punch and are sensitive to even the slightest string movement. I've only had a few minutes play time so far, but they do sound most excellent through my Ampeg BA-108. Even at low volume they are clear and articulate.

Thanks for your honest opinion. Most all of YT videos display the PRS bass with volume and tone knobs dialed up full...or in PRS' "trio" video, with volume full up and tone knob on 8.

Am wondering how they might sound through an amp modeler (HeadRush, to be exact) if there were bass amp models included (will dig deeper tomorrow and find out).

My purpose is to record bass tracks over drum/percussion, and as accompaniment for guitar tracks. A Kestrel might be just the thing that will do the job well...

Back