NBD Gary Grainger Makena Blue bass

madhermit

NBD Gary Grainger Makena Blue bass - clips added

No options other than a requested non-ten top quilt top. This thing it awesome. Huge sound. Fast satin neck. I like how the passive and active volume is the same.

PRSGaryGrainger1_zpsdad8a77d.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!

This bass is very versatile! You can get tons of sounds out of it. The sound of the bass with the eq flat is very impressive. Very balanced across the strings. The whole thing vibrates when you play it. I like being able to switch to passive mode, although I wish it had a tone knob when it was in that mode.
The bridge pickup has a nice midrange growl to it. It would cut through a mix easily I would think. The neck pickup is big, fat, and round sounding. I generally run it with both wide open, and the eq flat. It sounds really good in it's 'natural' state.

I have an acoustic guitar hanging in the same room. I have never had this phenomenon with other basses. When I play the low E on the Grainger, the E on the guitar sounds like it got slapped it resonates so hard. It sounds like the string has been played, and there is something metal lightly touching it. I would guess it's bouncing off the fret.

PRSTrio6_zps0a6e331d.jpg

PRSGaryGrainger2_zps632861fd.jpg

PRSGaryGrainger10_zpsa3da046d.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on that beauty! If I could get that good of a non-10 top quilt, I'd never buy another 10 top!

Our bass player has a GG, too. It fits well in the mix...if you want it to. As you said, it's so versatile. He was out of ton for a month, so a couple of us took turns on bass. He has a bunch of great basses, but the GG is the only one we pulled out. Also, like you said, it is so amazingly resonant.

Congrats again!

I've been pretty lucky with my tops for all my PRS's. None are 10 tops. I think they all look great. Everyone who saw this bass commented on the top. I think the colour really makes it pop!

Love seeing these basses pop up in NGD threads. Glad PRS finally made this happen.

That color is insane. The top is also smoking. Did I mention that color is my favorite PRS color? Drop dead BEAUTIFUL guitar. Congrats for sure.

I am really lucky! I figured I would go for a quilt and thought it would go great with that blue. Makes me think of water like the Azure Coast in France. When I see that water, I just feel happy. The quilt makes it look like sunlight on water, ripples, waves, etc. I didn't think the non-ten top would be this good for that effect. I have been proven completely wrong!

Last edited:
I cranked out a quick recording. It may be influenced by some 12 year old Scotch, so please excuse the performance.

Recorded through a Focusrite ISA One DI. No compression, no EQ, bass eq is set flat. I figured this chain would be fairly neutral.
Order of pickups sounds is…
1. Active - both pickups.
2. Active - bridge pickup
3. Active - neck pickup
4. Passive - both pickups
5. Passive - bridge pickup
6. Passive - neck pickup
7. Active - both pickups

https://soundcloud.com/the-cedar-thieves/prs-bass-demo/s-rybxZ

Please let me know if the link works.

Something I really like is that there is next to no difference in volume from the active setting on the bass to the passive setting. The power/oomph drops, but not the volume.

Last edited:
Back