NBBD - New Brown Box Day!

I'm a little disappointed with initial testing. The neck pickup has very little volume and the selector switch does not seem to be fully functioning. In treble position the neck is very quiet in middle position it's the same as the treble position. In bass position the bridge pickup rocks out. I ordered a new switch, but if anyone has other ideas please let me know.

Sounds like it is wired incorrectly. The treble position should be bridge only, right?

I'm a little disappointed with initial testing. The neck pickup has very little volume and the selector switch does not seem to be fully functioning. In treble position the neck is very quiet in middle position it's the same as the treble position. In bass position the bridge pickup rocks out. I ordered a new switch, but if anyone has other ideas please let me know.

Have you tried spraying in Deoxit and toggling the switch up and down. The toggle switch is an absurdly simple part and Deoxit seems to fix like 80% of the issues with toggle switches.

Have you tried spraying in Deoxit and toggling the switch up and down. The toggle switch is an absurdly simple part and Deoxit seems to fix like 80% of the issues with toggle switches.
Well at 11pm I didn't have any spray handy, so no. The toggle itself feels loose so I am suspecting mechanical issue more than corrosion. I will look at it closer after I get home from work.

Well at 11pm I didn't have any spray handy, so no. The toggle itself feels loose so I am suspecting mechanical issue more than corrosion. I will look at it closer after I get home from work.

What do you mean loose? Is the switch loose from the body or is the toggle just moving too easily without hardly any resistance? If the former, that should have no impact on the sound and easily remedied by tightening the nut that holds the switch in place. If the latter, you can address that by pintching the two metal sides of the switch together. If you look at how the switch works, there is two parallel metal plates and when the toggle is in the middle position they both touch another metal part. As you move the toggle up and down it should prevent contact of these metal plates. If you pinch these metal plates together, you should have a more reassuring resistance as you move the toggle and better connection. Also, add some Deoxit because it also improves connection. Do not substitute deoxit with WD40.

What do you mean loose? Is the switch loose from the body or is the toggle just moving too easily without hardly any resistance? If the former, that should have no impact on the sound and easily remedied by tightening the nut that holds the switch in place. If the latter, you can address that by pintching the two metal sides of the switch together. If you look at how the switch works, there is two parallel metal plates and when the toggle is in the middle position they both touch another metal part. As you move the toggle up and down it should prevent contact of these metal plates. If you pinch these metal plates together, you should have a more reassuring resistance as you move the toggle and better connection. Also, add some Deoxit because it also improves connection. Do not substitute deoxit with WD40.
The toggle is sloppy loose in the frame. The frame is solid in the guitar body.

Back