Nastiest Place you’ve played?

New it's mostly Gibson and Fender with just one shop selling PRS from memory. I mostly go to look at the vintage stuff and that's quite hit and miss most of the time. World Guitars would get my vote as the best high-end PRS dealer in the UK, although its a bit out of the way in Stonehouse.
I took a photo of a window full of G and as you quite rightly said one shop on a side street selling PRS - philistines!

I took a photo of a window full of G and as you quite rightly said one shop on a side street selling PRS - philistines!
I think the window full of G will be Macari's on Charing Cross Road, which is just along from the main show. It's pretty impressive even if they've picked the wrong brand to showcase.

I think the window full of G will be Macari's on Charing Cross Road, which is just along from the main show. It's pretty impressive even if they've picked the wrong brand to showcase.
Yep it’s an impressive show and yes it was on Charing Cross Road.

A band I was in played this awful dive in Ottumwa iowa. Total biker bar and anything goes environment. The owner was related to Roseanne Bar or Tom Arnold, can't remember which.

Our diva singer made an offhand remark about the place that got back to the owner. He went ballistic and kicked us out. Threatened to kill us all. I think we got out of there in 20 minutes. He later got arrested and went to prison. It made national news because of the ties to Roseanne.

I also played a place that had a trailer house for the band. Sewer was messed up and one toilet was draining under the trailer. Freakin nasty.

I also played a place that had a trailer house for the band. Sewer was messed up and one toilet was draining under the trailer. Freakin nasty.
Trailer house for the Band?!

Sewer was all messed up?!

Luxury!!!

I remember having to get up before I went to sleep, having to drive a 1000 miles to a gig, paying the club owner 5 shillings to work there, having to lick the road clean on the journey home and when I got there my father would kill us and dance on our graves!

And the young of today say they’ve got it hard!!

Trailer house for the Band?!

Sewer was all messed up?!

Luxury!!!

I remember having to get up before I went to sleep, having to drive a 1000 miles to a gig, paying the club owner 5 shillings to work there, having to lick the road clean on the journey home and when I got there my father would kill us and dance on our graves!

And the young of today say they’ve got it hard!!

Can you imagine kids today having to learn music from a record player???? Those were the days!!

We played a place once, an old hotel's basement bar, and they had a hostel room for the bands if they needed one with a bunk bed on each side of the room. I wrote about it on our website blog, saying there was "a woman with a big vagina drawn crudely on the wall". Our web traffic increased significantly from people searching "big vagina". It was 2001 or so, the Internet was still in its infancy.

We played a place once, an old hotel's basement bar, and they had a hostel room for the bands if they needed one with a bunk bed on each side of the room. I wrote about it on our website blog, saying there was "a woman with a big vagina drawn crudely on the wall". Our web traffic increased significantly from people searching "big vagina". It was 2001 or so, the Internet was still in its infancy.
Was that Wendy Bagina by any chance!

It wasn’t the dirtiest place or anything but... When I was seventeen I was in a straightedge band and my parents let me go on tour with a bunch of ARA/SHARP skinheads (I mention this becaus it was maybe 1990 when having a shaved head was still a dangerous look for white guys). Anyhow, we’re playing a biker bar in LA that did matinee’s for “youth” oriented music and in between our show, while waiting to get paid, and getting ready for the night’s festivities, the owner locks the door, pulls down this big Jack Daniels mirror, and dumps out the largest bag of cocaine I’ve still ever seen.

It was like, a gallon ziplock bag filled three-quarters of the way to the top, and all saggy and bottom heavy. We watched as he dumped it out on the mirror and proceeded to ask our tour manager how we’d like to get paid.

Obviously, we weren’t down.... but after twenty something years, and all I’ve seen... holy sh!t, that must’ve been $100,000 worth of baby laxative and coke.

LOL, I remember those days. Came up in the tail end of "payment in coke and booze". Not too long after that stuff got "scary" again with open needle use and heavier freebasing. We went acoustic for a few years and did a lot of DIY/Indie stuff (during the grunge period).

Back