Nastiest Place you’ve played?

The Anchor bar in Southside Muncie had chicken wire to protect the band. Too many girl fights (I sh*t you not).

Edit: I shoulda read this thread before posting. It sounds like chicken wire is the norm.

Last edited:
The Smell in Los Angeles. Homeless guy staring at me and rubbing his junk in the alley just down from the entrance. Inch of urine on the floor of the single unisex bathroom. Also I'm pretty sure I stopped a dude just about to steal our stuff backstage.

Cool venue otherwise, played some really great shows there.

From 1992 until 1999, I played with a band called Dan's Night Out. Very experienced players, so we never rehearsed. Our main gig was a place in Philly called The Dolphin. It was a strip joint (pasties & G-strings). Nastiest room I've ever played, but we had a blast! Thank God the girls looked sweet and were friendly!

From 1992 until 1999, I played with a band called Dan's Night Out. Very experienced players, so we never rehearsed. Our main gig was a place in Philly called The Dolphin. It was a strip joint (pasties & G-strings). Nastiest room I've ever played, but we had a blast! Thank God the girls looked sweet and were friendly!
You should have called yourselves -

“Patsy and the G strings”:eek:

Filthy McNasty's in North Hollywood at midnight(?)

The good ol' FM Station. Played there a handful of times, and saw some cool acts there performing under fake names [Oingo Boingo, Prince, Megadeth]. That place had to be a major health hazard.

I can't help but think back to my first actual band gig in college, around Halloween 1984 [October 20th]. We played at a house in the basement. This basement had cracks in the walls, as well as a few holes, with mushrooms growing out of them. The floor had a light sheen of water all over it, sometimes getting close to 1/4" in depth. Amps were set on rickety metal TV meal trays. Sparks could be seen when a mouth touched a microphone.

There was one hole in the wall with a door over it, so I spray painted "Hell is past this door." Whatever was growing in that hole stunk. Our guitarist [I played bass] spray-painted the band's name on the wall. It was wall-to-wall sludgy filth.

Here are a few photos [gallery].

WDmLo34.jpg

The Ritz (aka The Shitz), Warren, MI. The roof constantly leaks (mostly over where the drummer sits hahaha), the sound is pure crap, the stage has beer soaked carpet that smells worse than a sewer, the toilets constantly backup, the food gives you explosive diarrhea, there is hardly any parking for anyone (bands or patrons) and worst of all, the beer is overpriced. For all traveling bands looking for a venue to play in the Metro Detroit area, avoid this place like an African disease.

The Ritz (aka The Shitz), Warren, MI. The roof constantly leaks (mostly over where the drummer sits hahaha), the sound is pure crap, the stage has beer soaked carpet that smells worse than a sewer, the toilets constantly backup, the food gives you explosive diarrhea, there is hardly any parking for anyone (bands or patrons) and worst of all, the beer is overpriced. For all traveling bands looking for a venue to play in the Metro Detroit area, avoid this place like an African disease.

.... so you recommend anything in particular from the menu?

Not me but my nephews had a band and they literally played in a (should a been) condemned building. Holes in the roof and some things I'd rather not mention. However the bar was operating and we had a blast

Two things spring to mind - neither what you mean I suspect but I was trying some stuff on Denmark Street years ago and a customer came in the sales guy obviously thought was a better prospect and the guitar I was trying was taken off me and I bundled out of the way prompto. Though that was pretty nasty at the time. Similar thing happened at Charlie Chandlers when it was in Kew - some strangle looking guy came in and everything stopped and I was ignored. I've since realised it was Big Jim Sullivan, mega session player and peer of Jimmy Page, so I can excuse that. God knows what Big Jim thought of my playing. Most of the time the dealers on Denmark Street are pretty cool so the first one really sticks out.

Two words fellas...Tetanus Shots.

Hey, look at the bright side...you guys were the band...I went to those kinds of places to meet chicks...What?! it seemed like a good idea at the time(s)o_O
We had a place we frequented called Piccadilly’s that we affectionately renamed Pic-a-disease. But since you could buy a pitcher of whiskey sours, jam a straw in it and stroll the dance floor, it was worth the health risk. I saw Henry Lee Summer there several times and a few other regional acts, but we were there for the girls and to walk out with a headache. Shots were advisable.

We had a place we frequented called Piccadilly’s that we affectionately renamed Pic-a-disease. But since you could buy a pitcher of whiskey sours, jam a straw in it and stroll the dance floor, it was worth the health risk. I saw Henry Lee Summer there several times and a few other regional acts, but we were there for the girls and to walk out with a headache. Shots were advisable.

Henry Lee Summer. There's a name I have not heard in a long time. When I was 15 years old, I was going to audition for his band and quit high school if I got it. I wanted to be a rock star then, but alas, mom would not let me. I decided to forego the audition and stay in school.

The bands of the day were Henry Lee Summer, Carl Storie / The Faith Band, Roadmaster, and Buccaneer. They're what I call "Hoosier Heroes." I looked at them as an example of what could be, since I was under no delusions that I'd personally be a star myself.

He had a hit song back then called "Stay With Me," and I remember him suing a politician for using it, or at least demanding that he stop. Today, I cannot find that song anywhere. Ah, the good ol' days.

Picadilly - For the Active and Attractive... what a slogan.

This is crazy dude! We had a similar nightclub, in Birmingham called Cafe DeVille which we referred to as "Cafe I Will...As in, Cafe I Will Get Lucky or Cafe I Will Contract an STD. :eek:

You could for, a measly 9 bucks get a pitcher of Long Iced Tea, and get your swagger on! These babies were not weak, kill one of these things and if you weren't careful, one step outta the front door...and helllooo Public Intoxication charge.

They were open until 4:00 A.M. This place was dank, dark and smokey. One of my best buds played in the house band. He said he was afraid if he kept the gig, he would die from one of three things...alcohol poisoning, second hand smoke or at the hands of this coked up stripper with a Herpes, we affectionately nicknamed "Darling Niki"...she apparently found it neccasary to.. ahem...well, you know, (it wasn't a hotel lobby but he was the magazine) every time they played a cover of "Little Red Corvette". We used to rag him about her, and let's just say, she left my buddy with "the gift that keeps on giving" and in turn he was given the nickname..."Mr. Cafe I shouldn't have" from then on.

I guess no matter where you're from...There's a version of Piccadilly’s or Cafe DeVille just down the street...I mean, if you are hankering for a stiff pitcher of something and an incurable disease...how I'm disease free and still alive will always be a mystery...o_O

Last edited:
Two things spring to mind - neither what you mean I suspect but I was trying some stuff on Denmark Street years ago and a customer came in the sales guy obviously thought was a better prospect and the guitar I was trying was taken off me and I bundled out of the way prompto. Though that was pretty nasty at the time. Similar thing happened at Charlie Chandlers when it was in Kew - some strangle looking guy came in and everything stopped and I was ignored. I've since realised it was Big Jim Sullivan, mega session player and peer of Jimmy Page, so I can excuse that. God knows what Big Jim thought of my playing. Most of the time the dealers on Denmark Street are pretty cool so the first one really sticks out.
It’s funny, I was on Denmark Street in March last year and I was taken aback that there weren’t more shops that stocked PRS!

I was very disappointed, maybe I was looking in the wrong place. The nearest stockist for me is Edinburgh or Glasgow, which is about 80 miles away

It’s funny, I was on Denmark Street in March last year and I was taken aback that there weren’t more shops that stocked PRS!

I was very disappointed, maybe I was looking in the wrong place. The nearest stockist for me is Edinburgh or Glasgow, which is about 80 miles away

New it's mostly Gibson and Fender with just one shop selling PRS from memory. I mostly go to look at the vintage stuff and that's quite hit and miss most of the time. World Guitars would get my vote as the best high-end PRS dealer in the UK, although its a bit out of the way in Stonehouse.

Back