Narrowfields.......Lets see them!

This guy had it before it became mine:

Paulwith408.jpg

You got the guitar. This guy got all of us and you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys are Fing terrible. What a sick, SICK bunch of instruments.

Wow! Some of these guitars are sick! Amazing. I have a 25th SAS on its way but of course it's not like some of these guitars!

I love NFs. Like I've been saying since day one though, I PERSONALLY still find the covered 57/08 is a poor match to the NFs in the Studio model. I switched the 57/08 to a Duncan CC RIGHT away now it's a balanced and killer axe. Even the split coil sounds great and keeps-up to the NFs.
Judging from this thread, a LOT of Studio owners also dumped the covered 57/08 in the Studio.
It's too bad PRS didnt address this issue right away. I thought from the beginning and I still think that it is probably one of the main reason for the Studio's dismal sales numbers.
I have a prediction. The Studio will soon be discontinued.

It's too bad. It's my favorite PRS. Great body, great ergonomics, has the AWESOME NFs, I love it's looks...but..as long as it comes with the covered 57/08..most people will never get to appreciate the Studio.
With some of the current models it's the PRS pups that are propelling them into Gem status. Unfortunately, with the Studio, the poor pick-up choice is hurting.

Of course YMMV but this thread and the Studio's eminent demise seem to tell a story. We know it isnt because of the Studio's shape, size, color, NF pickups or even the blade switch. WHAT do you suppose is killing it?
Hey...hopefully I'm all wrong and people LOVE the Studio and it's covered 57/08 and they are going to fly off the shelves and everyone who buys one will leave the stock pup configuration. We can debate and disagree but sales don't lie. I guess the truth will reveal itself one way or another.

Last edited:
Hi I am a newbie to this forum. I mainly joined the forum 'cause I wanted to agree with what blaren has written here and elsewhere in regard to the Studio model.
I gig minimum 4 nights a week since 1997.
I have a Strat Plus 1988; Telecaster American Standard 1999; Gibson Les Paul Studio 2011; G&L Comanche 2011; Reverend Sensei 290. And a 2011 PRS Studio.
I can take any of these guitars out and get what I want out of them over a 4 hour gig ranging from country, jazz to ACDC style rock
. After six months of trying I am about to give up on the PRS studio. I may try swapping out the covered 57/08 as blaren has done and the Duncan CC does read and sound like a good choice. Where I differ is I don't think I even like the narrowfields. The guitar is beautifully built and super comfortable to play but when I can turn up to a gig with the PRS and within half an hour want to switch to anything else I might have brought (including the Reverend that I picked up for $500) it's crazy.
Anyway it gave me heart to see I wasn't the only one pulling out the rest of my hair, so thanks for that Blaren.

I'd give an uncovered 59/09 a shot, I think it's a great match for the Narrowfields, and gives diversity and flexibility to the guitar. The squabbins match the NFs perfectly aesthetically too!

(Stupidly) Gone, but not forgotten.

i-W6rxBSC-X2.jpg

And yes, this thread is full of sickness. WOW!!!

Back