Narrowfield versus Narrowfield 57/08?

My NF3 is the least "pretty" PRS I have. It's one of the greatest guitars I've ever played. Best neck ever. Incredible pickups, and pickup versatility. Every time I say this nobody responds so I figure they think I'm nuts or something, but I'm telling you point blank I could do a metal gig with that and the Archon. It does incredible cleans, mild breakup, classic rock gain tones just like you'd expect, but those pickups are so good they KILL at anything you want to do with them.

I LOVE MY NF3!!!

It's one of the greatest guitars I've ever played. Best neck ever. Incredible pickups, and pickup versatility. Every time I say this nobody responds so I figure they think I'm nuts or something...

I'm chiming in here only because I feel bad for you that nobody responds when you praise the NF3. I just want to tell you that I don't think you're nuts. Everything you said about the NF3 is true. They are so f*&@!%g good. It's a crime that they were not more popular and are no longer being made.

I'm chiming in here only because I feel bad for you that nobody responds when you praise the NF3. I just want to tell you that I don't think you're nuts. Everything you said about the NF3 is true. They are so f*&@!%g good. It's a crime that they were not more popular and are no longer being made.
All that is completely true. Probably the most versatile pickups I've ever played. As is the guitar with it's 3 pickups and 5 way switch. This is what a super strat SHOULD BE, IMHO.

And, all that said, the guys here have plenty of other reasons to think that I'm nuts. I just blame it on the NF3/metal thing. :D

I will chime in. I bought my nf3 brand new for a song back in 2017. I saw the store had one, the price was right, I was curious, so I asked about it. The poor old girl had been cased up in storage for 5 years; the store put it on display when they first got it....and no one have it a chance.

I am so happy I did; it plays amazingly like any PRS....but it is the engine...those narrowfield pickups...that make this guitar one the most versatile I have ever played! The guys that rave about them are not kidding....they really need to be experienced. They have quick and svelte low end, balanced mids and chimey highs that don't ever get harsh or tinny. I love the way they respond to pick attack and they are very balanced across all strings. They respond exceedingly well to the volume control. Also, that immediate attack, tight low end and present top really shines when gained up....some killer hard rock and metal tones!

I am glad I took a chance: I know I was absolutely one of those dudes a decade ago who just didn't get what PRS was doing with the narrowfield and why they were raving about them. Now I know and it is never going anywhere....

My '10-ish(?) Studio is pretty much the best HSS superstrat Evar. The narrowfield pickups balance beautifully volume-wise with the 57/08 bridge humbucker. The neck pickup sounds like a great humbucker with the volume full up, like a great strat with the knob rolled down to 6-8, and the neck-middle pickup combo sounds as much like a strat as you could possibly ask for.

Oh yeah, the bridge pickup sounds great. IOW, it's a fantastically-voiced super versatile guitar. The narrow 408s do not have the same beefy strat pickup sound that the narrowfield pickups do. They also sound great, but more like a traditional humbucker.

Oh yeah. Forgot the pic:

studio-sun-600.png

I often wonder if there is any difference in the wire-selection on the rosegold NF’s.

What about the narrow 408, like in the Brent Mason? Still same? Thanks all! Window shopping...

I believe so. I’ve had a couple of those pickups individually and everything looks the same between them and the narrow 408’s out of the Paul’s guitar.

I have a 25th SAS with Narrowfields. It is just an incredibly versatile instrument. I wasn't in a position to buy one when they originally released but I bought it used in 2015. It really can do everything people here have said. I'm a sucker for the unique pickup combos.

My '10-ish(?) Studio is pretty much the best HSS superstrat Evar. The narrowfield pickups balance beautifully volume-wise with the 57/08 bridge humbucker. The neck pickup sounds like a great humbucker with the volume full up, like a great strat with the knob rolled down to 6-8, and the neck-middle pickup combo sounds as much like a strat as you could possibly ask for.

Oh yeah, the bridge pickup sounds great. IOW, it's a fantastically-voiced super versatile guitar. The narrow 408s do not have the same beefy strat pickup sound that the narrowfield pickups do. They also sound great, but more like a traditional humbucker.

Oh yeah. Forgot the pic:

studio-sun-600.png

LOVE your guitar!!!

LOVE your guitar!!!

I wish it still looked like that! :confused: That one got a moderate case of the notorious PRS blue dye fade and isn't nearly as blue these days. Except the blue burst around the edge, which is think is sprayed paint. It looks kind of clown-stripey now since that blue didn't fade. Between that and the finish failing along the edge of the fretboard, I keep thinking I should send it in to get it fixed up. It still sounds and plays great.

I wish it still looked like that! :confused: That one got a moderate case of the notorious PRS blue dye fade and isn't nearly as blue these days. Except the blue burst around the edge, which is think is sprayed paint. It looks kind of clown-stripey now since that blue didn't fade. Between that and the finish failing along the edge of the fretboard, I keep thinking I should send it in to get it fixed up. It still sounds and plays great.
I think I would send it in. That stinks though. That is a beautiful guitar in that pic. I’ve been lucky with my two blue ones. No fade at all. I have to say though, I’m paranoid enough now that I’m not sure I’d buy another blue one. I’ve always wanted a red one and if I pick another one and have that option, that would be my choice.

current pic?

I think I would send it in. That stinks though. That is a beautiful guitar in that pic. I’ve been lucky with my two blue ones. No fade at all. I have to say though, I’m paranoid enough now that I’m not sure I’d buy another blue one. I’ve always wanted a red one and if I pick another one and have that option, that would be my choice.

I have several others with at least some blue in them (including greens and purples and a couple of variations on slate), and only this one guitar has faded that I've noticed. This whale blue hasn't faded at all:

prs04.png

My NF3 is the least "pretty" PRS I have. It's one of the greatest guitars I've ever played. Best neck ever. Incredible pickups, and pickup versatility. Every time I say this nobody responds so I figure they think I'm nuts or something, but I'm telling you point blank I could do a metal gig with that and the Archon. It does incredible cleans, mild breakup, classic rock gain tones just like you'd expect, but those pickups are so good they KILL at anything you want to do with them.

I LOVE MY NF3!!!
Love the pattern regular maple neck on my NF3 and all it’s smooth, satiny goodness. I like the pickups a lot too. Some of my favorite clean and crunch tones come from that guitar. I usually grab it when I want to get away from the high gain stuff, not that it can’t do some of that though.

CM1wPhE.jpg

Back