Name your "Guilty Pleasure" Album

Ok, how about Eurythmics? David Stewart is a great all around musician and producer, and Annie Lenox brought an edge that was hard to match. Not much in terms of guitar work, but if you like 80's synth pop, they were tops.

Huge fan here. I've had a thing for Annie Lennox's voice since... ever, what a phenomenal talent. They really cranked out some amazing stuff.

We did PA & equipment rentals at the old shop, and once upon a time... a minidisc recorder (ouch!) came back with an unedited hour long interview she'd done. That sure made a slow day on the floor more interesting.

I wouldn't even recognize a 1980s without this.

"Dutty rock" by Sean Paul - I helped that album go 2x platinum
here's a little lyrical taste:

"Just gimme the light and pass the dro
Buss anotha bokkle a moe
(Huh, huh, huh, huh, huh, come on)
Gal dem inna mi sight and I got to know
(Yeah, yeah)
Which one is gonna catch my flow
(Busta Bus now)
'Cause I'm inna di vibe and I got my dough
(Yeah, Sean Paul now)
Buss anotha bokkle a moe
(Remix, remix, remix)
Gal dem lookin' hype and I got to know"

edit: holy sh@t. supposedly it won a grammy

Huge fan here. I've had a thing for Annie Lennox's voice since... ever, what a phenomenal talent. They really cranked out some amazing stuff.

We did PA & equipment rentals at the old shop, and once upon a time... a minidisc recorder (ouch!) came back with an unedited hour long interview she'd done. That sure made a slow day on the floor more interesting.

I wouldn't even recognize a 1980s without this.

My ex was absolutely infatuated with Annie, knew everything about her, she was a real super fan. I like the music, but don't listen too often as certain songs do bring back some hard feelings. I'm weird that way.

I was watching a video on Jello Biafra's YouTube channel, when he brought up Mrs. Miller. I got curious and went out to get Mrs. Miller Does Her Thing. It's not exactly something you'd put on at a party. She made a bit of a splash in her day.

Her website is straight out of 1996.

nVRcU0z.png

Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy is a phenomenal album. I was listening to it on my drive today.

I remember owning it on 8-track. What really sucked about that, as I recall, was that Someone Saved My Life Tonight gets split in half.

You know it's just another hit-and-run from The Tin Pan Alley Twins.

Ok, how about Eurythmics? David Stewart is a great all around musician and producer, and Annie Lenox brought an edge that was hard to match. Not much in terms of guitar work, but if you like 80's synth pop, they were tops.
Yeah, I loved The Eurythmics. I tended to find a lot of their songs addictive, like Cool Blue, Sisters Are Doing it For Themselves, Missionary Man, Like a Ball & Chain, The Walk, No Fear No Hate No Pain No Broken Hearts...heck, I have to binge on them now. I sure hope they're on Tidal...

Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy is a phenomenal album. I was listening to it on my drive today.

I remember owning it on 8-track. What really sucked about that, as I recall, was that Someone Saved My Life Tonight gets split in half.

You know it's just another hit-and-run from The Tin Pan Alley Twins.

Captain Fantastic is a brilliant album. Elton John in that era could do no wrong. I read a book that covered his 70s output, and wow, it's stunning to see what he did in such a short period of time.

Captain Fantastic is a brilliant album. Elton John in that era could do no wrong. I read a book that covered his 70s output, and wow, it's stunning to see what he did in such a short period of time.

I was a huge fan when I was young, in the 70s.
  • My first piano music book, with guitar tabs, was Elton John Greatest Hits Volume I.
  • My first concert was Elton John on July 21, 1976 at Market Square Arena.
  • When I was recording an album I had written for a singer in 1997, I was thrilled when I found out that I could hire Bobby Birch to play bass. He was worth every penny.
When I was 9, I found his fan club mailing address, and thought it would be a good idea to write some lyrics and send them to him. I hoped to get a response, as a kid would, but that hope faded. As I lamented this issue to my grandmother, she said, "There's good news and bad news. The bad news is that, no, he will not see your song and you will never get a response. The good news is, congratulations, you've written your first song."

Blackfoot. Ricky Medlock takes me back to being a teenager instantly. It also spurs an inner redneck rampage causing Molly Hatchet to join the rotation. Skynyrd would join them, but I still play several of their tunes on Saturday nights as it is.

• My first concert was Elton John on July 21, 1976 at Market Square Arena.
Coincidentally, my first concert was also at Market Square Arena but in 1979...Kansas. You must have grown up in Indianapolis.

Last edited:

Speaking of synth pop, a Depeche Mode song comes on. My wife says, “I really love Depeche Mode.”

My son says, “Wait...you know who Depeche Mode are?”

Well hello, yes, we were on Earth before you were born and actually listened to cool music.

Coincidentally, my first concert was also at Market Square Arena but in 1979...Kansas. You must have grown up in Indianapolis.

Grew up in Anderson and Lapel. Worked a summer job in Indy, and went there every week for drum lessons.

Market Square Arena (RIP) was fantastic. Saw Elton, Ozzy, Dio, Iron Maiden, Styx, Robert Plant, Van Halen (1984), Rush, Charlie Sexton, Armored Saint, Scorpions, and The Commodores.

Back