Name your "Guilty Pleasure" Album

Ehh... everyone sh!ts the bed at some point. I once played a half a set with one of those toilet seat protectors sticking out of the waistband of my pants.

Pllleeeeaaaaaassseee! Tell me there is video!

I can always count on you for a witty comment, or a twisted observation... but dammit Sergio...This should have broken the forum...for that matter the f@ck!n Internet! Gratis mi amigo!

I certainly hope you played it off as a fashion statement...very avant guard

Not an album I know, but definitely a guilty pleasure. I found this young lady (now 18 I think) on YouTube looking for inspiration to get back into guitar. I was floored from the first video. I have to believe she's a prodigy, and spends most of her waking hours practicing and learning. She certainly is talented.

I only object to people that don’t think certain musicians or genres of music aren’t “real”. Whether it’s based on ability or technique, it doesn’t matter as long as it elicits an emotional reaction. If it does, than it’s “real”.

Now, making fun of a band, musician, or genre... while mean and maybe not the best use of time, is totally understandable.

I wasn’t making fun of an artist by saying I could play that solo. I didn’t think that the bar wasn’t set real high there.

I was more of a Pinky Tuscadero (Happy Days), Ginger ( Gilligans Island). Must have been where my attraction to redheads stems from...hmmmm.

*parentheses: used for the kiddos

Oh no, sir - Leather Tuscadero was the one. Unsullied by the Malachi Brothers, and a hell of a singer, too.

So when will I be good enough to be an artist? If you ask me, the thinking answer would be NEVER, because the goalposts on both sides are constantly being moved by time, practice, and ability. That's why I go with the feeling answer and create, and it's also why I don't care if it sells, and don't care what anyone thinks about it.

Loved reading your post, and the videos.

Being an artist isn’t suddenly arriving at a destination. Quite the opposite; every artist I know is in a constant process of development and metamorphosis.

You’re an artist if you make art. There’s no proficiency test given, and there is no title, “Certified Public Artist.”

You’re good enough to be an artist when you decide you’re an artist. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. There aren’t any goalposts except the ones in your imagination. No matter who you are, there are folks who will tell you, “No.” Hell, Decca turned down the Beatles.

So you’re right on when you say it’s important to just create, and not care what anyone thinks. Because as an artist, all you can control is your own work. You can’t control the world’s reaction to it. That’s not a bad thing, it’s just the way it is.

There are plenty of artists who understand that very simple work can be amazing, and there are plenty who create extremely complex work, and everything in between. It’s not a contest.

These conversations have made me ponder most of the afternoon...I was doing some deep thinking...I gotta quit doing that it gives me a headache...

Here's my .02...

I for one am the world's worst about bagging on certain bands and or performers...with TS being one of my main targets around my house in particular...only because the wife likes her (Reds musical tastes are that of a 12 year old) and I think she....well I just dont care for her music. To put it nicely..

Something about performers of the sort making millions of dollars for what they put out into the world just bugs me? Something tells me she doesn't care..A bit, nor should she.

I have been friends with a lot of musicians over the years some good as well some bad...regardless, they all have struggled just to chase their dream.

One guy in particular comes to mind that I have known since we were kids. Making and getting his music out there is all he has ever done. I admire him because in the 40 years I have known him, he has never stopped going after it. It's a beautiful but painful thing to witness. It truly hurt me to see this guy hit one brick wall after another, but he has truly inspired me because he gets up and does it again...and again, and relentlessly again. He moved to LA a few years back and is a working musician now, so I guess it finally worked out for him. He seems really content being able to survive by doing what he loves most now...

Is it TS, or Little Weezies fault that my friend hasn't had commercial success until now? Absolutely not! This being said, life is not fair nobody ever told me or him or anybody it would be unless they were lying. Like my friend and millions of other more talented (IMHO) individuals/bands out there...There have been and most likely always will be less talented peeps who get their break for whatever the reasons may be.

Nobody makes an artist create art. It's a form of self expression, a way to purge bad, celebrate good, a way to get attention and yes unfortunately, for some, above all else, it's a way to make a substantial amount of cash. The label people don't give two poops about what any of us consider to be real or pseudo music/art. As long as there are hearing impaired people...Oops I mean people with no taste,..my bad....uh, ok just people? who will pay to hear them...the record companies will be there to promote them.

Bottom line, it's about Return On Investment... GASP! Yup, boys and girls we can snub TS, the Beebs, Lil' Weezie...mainly because...it's so easy. But as long as they pack arenas and sell music to feed the machine...they will be in existence. Does that suck for the vast majority of the talent that's out there and me? Hells yeah, but...All I can do is support the music I love...and continue to bag on the noise I dislike...because hate is such an ugly word...ahhh screw it! If I hate it I'm gonna gonna unappolgetically bag on it...But if someone else thinks it's great and somehow a lyric touches or moves them somehow...more power to them...I'm gonna stay away from those people something is not right with them...o_O but as long as they don't eat my crayons or try to bite me...I'm okay with the pitiful creatures...:D

Loved reading your post, and the videos.

Being an artist isn’t suddenly arriving at a destination. Quite the opposite; every artist I know is in a constant process of development and metamorphosis.
LOVE THIS! If you're not creating/growing your dying...so to speak...

Ah yes, another boyhood crush, Suzie Quatro was a knock out in leather.

She kinda scared me when I was a kid. As a teenager...oh yeah! Hella bass player too!

Oh no, sir - Leather Tuscadero was the one. Unsullied by the Malachi Brothers, and a hell of a singer, too.

Eeewww! I forgot about them? Ok, this changes everything...those bastids!

Back