Name a song and it’s lyric that you’ve mistaken

11top

Cousin Eddie's cousin
When my daughter was a toddler, she liked a song by Paul Young entitled “Every Time You Go Away.” The rest of the lyric was “You take a piece of me with you.” My daughter heard and sang, to the delight of her parents, “You take a piece of meat to eat.” So naturally, that’s what my wife and I always sing over that song. :p

When I was in high school, there was a song entitled “Cool Jerk” (The Capitals), and my buddy was driving down the road singing “Pool shark.”

My wife straightened me out that the Gin Blossoms song “Hey Jealousy” wasn’t “Hey Chelsea.”

Billy Joel’s song wasn’t “I go for Ice Cream” (Extremes). And Creedence didn’t sing “There’s a Bathroom on the Right.”

How ‘bout you? Any misinterpreted song lyrics?

Last edited:
I thought it was “I wonder why he’s the greatest dancer” for…. I dunno, 40 years? And I’ve listened to that song at least once a week for… 40 years? :oops:

Embarrassing, I’m not even a casual fan, I’m a full out fanatic.

It’s “Oh, what, wow!” BTW

Rocket Man - “Burning down the fools on Babylon” didn’t turn out to be right. Bernie T used to use Bible references (mostly disparagingly) in his lyrics a lot. Turns out he was “burning down his fuse up there alone.”

Then again, I’m still not sure what language I’m using when I sing along with Bennie and The Jets. And let’s not even discuss Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress!

I thought it was “I wonder why he’s the greatest dancer” for…. I dunno, 40 years? And I’ve listened to that song at least once a week for… 40 years? :oops:

Embarrassing, I’m not even a casual fan, I’m a full out fanatic.

It’s “Oh, what, wow!” BTW

Wait!!! It’s not? :confused:

Rocket Man - “Burning down the fools on Babylon” didn’t turn out to be right. Bernie T used to use Bible references (mostly disparagingly) in his lyrics a lot. Turns out he was “burning down his fuse up there alone.”

Then again, I’m still not sure what language I’m using when I sing along with Bennie and The Jets. And let’s not even discuss Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress!

LOL. I actually googled that a few years ago to find out WTH that lyric was.

When my daughter was a toddler, she liked a song by Paul Young entitled “Every Time You Go Away.” The rest of the lyric was “You take a piece of me with you.” My daughter heard and sang, to the delight of her parents, “You take a piece of meat to eat.” So naturally, that’s what my wife and I always sing over that song. :p

When I was in high school, there was a song entitled “Cool Jerk” (The Capitals), and my buddy was driving down the road singing “Pool shark.”

My wife straightened me out that the Gin Blossoms song “Hey Jealousy” wasn’t “Hey Chelsea.”

Billy Joel’s song wasn’t “I go for Ice Cream” (Extremes). And Creedence didn’t sing “There’s a Bathroom on the Right.”

How ‘bout you? Any misinterpreted song lyrics?

When my daughter was little she sang The Cars' "Let's Go" with the lyric, "I like the knife life, baby..." instead of 'night life'.

So that's how my wife and I sing it.

This is hysterical! When I read the title of the thread, and before I even read that your daughter sang this, this was the lyric I was going to say.

When I was young, that is the exact same thing I would sing, "take a piece of meat with you". I've shared that with my wife, and now we sing those lyrics when the song comes on. Plus, my parents still bring it up anytime we're discussing "mistaken lyics".

So funny we share that experience!

So back in the late 80's when I was a cook at a high end Italian Restaurant we would listen to Z Rock every night tp help us keep our sanity.
It was a Friday Night and my buddy was the head chef and we're getting slammed by orders as usual and Priest's Hell Bent For Leather came on.
We're jamming out and when the chorus came up he starts singing Open, Open The Letter.
I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe and as I type this I cant help but laugh. He honesty thought that was what Rob was singing.

While I can't say I've never heard one wrong for a while, I don't know of any in particular that I sang the wrong words too for any period of time. But boy, I sure had some friends who were pro's at it. My former boss and longtime friend had all kinds of them. When he first started dating the woman who became his wife, I saw her on their second date and said "Don't correct him on Panama." She was "in" on the joke... Months after that song came out and was a big hit, on the radio all the time, etc., he was still singing "Canada" and ALL his friends knew it but nobody would tell him. At their wedding, we had the DJ play Panama and a group of his friends got up around the mic and we'd all sing "Canada" every time the word came up in the song. It was especially funny to see ALL his friends rolling laughing, and singing it along with us, while all her side of the family had no clue what was going on.

Another funny one: Different friend. We were HUGE Scorpion fans and I loved the song "Another piece of meat." Well, we had one friend whose favorite saying was "you want a piece of me?" Well, every time that song came on, he'd sing "Just another piece, another piece of me," and he'd point at himself. This went on for over a year before one day I saw him looking at the cassette tape and he was clearly confused... he said "that's another piece of meat?" And we all busted out laughing. He had been "acting out" that song for over a year, every time pointing to his chest and saying "another piece of me."

But that was nothing like Canada which went on for 3-4 years between when the song came out and when he got married. And my friend at first acted like he was not amused by all his friends on stage singing "Canada," but by the second verse, his wife was up there doing it with us, and by the third he was up there doing it... to half a standing ovation. LMAO

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric Clapton's "Bad Love."

For some weeks, my Mom would say, "It's sounds like he's singing, 'bad dog.' Is that really what he's singing?"

Now, Mom wears hearing aids and is generally inept without them. But we accept that going deaf is no joke, just as being blind is no joke. And we accommodate for her whenever we can, with a plentiful supply of hearing aid batteries and her iPhone which has a connective hearing aid app for her.

I guess what my younger brother once said about getting older really hits home...his words were, "When we both reach 85 y.o., we'll sit on the front porch playing pinochle and telling hearing aid jokes..."

Back