NAD

blaren

Would have posted this in the amp forum but that is for discussion of PRS amps and...ok so..
I played my first Marshall in like '83 or '84. Until then I had played pretty "normal" amps. Actually it turns out that a lot of them were very cool amps. Some early Traynors and Fenders and Harmonys...but we were young, PAs were puny, nothing except vocals was miced and our amps were that...amplifiers. They were to amplify our instruments.
When we would turn them up to the point of starting to distort we turned them down thinking he speakers were about to blow. If we had only known.

When I played that first 4-hole jtm45 it was like taking gloves off. I had NO idea that an amp could actually help play the guitar FOR YOU! And so began the next 20 years of my guitar gigging career. The 20 year battle between volume and tone.
In 2006 I discovered EL84 amps and after losing SO many battles, I had finally won the WAR! Marshall tone and CRUNCH at acceptable volumes! Holy life changer.

Over the years I've been GASsing for a DSL. Also wanted a Fender HRD.
Got an HRD. A month or so later got a MAZ18 ...buh bye Fender.

I play a 36W (with half power switch) marshall clone . The 1-12 combos (HRD and MAZ) served as 1-12 cabs and backup amps.
I had the MAZ listed for sale on local kijiji for a few months. Want real motivated. Had it listed pretty high. The other week when it was time to bump it to page 1 I thought...might as well RAISE the price and see what happens.
BOOM! SOLD!!!

Time to pay some bills and then go used amp shopping with the change.
Needed a new backup. Wanted another 1-12 or 2-12 combo. Maybe a Traynor YCR or a HR or Blues DeVille....hey...maybe I'll find a $500 DSL100...and that's EXACTLY what happened.
I found a '98 for 500 clams.
Not a combo and definitely not 18W but...it's Summer and we play a LOT of BIG fesitval stages. And besides..it has a MV.

Brought it to rehearsal a couple nights ago and :-O
Yeah...what was I thinking? NO 18...or 36W...or ANY EL84 amp for that matter...even if it has 20 of them and makes 200W...NO EL84 amp can do what a great big real deal 100W (whether KT66s, 77s, 88s, 6550s, EL34s...) does.
Yes the 18 and 36watters will clear the china cabinet and get you evicted but it wont have the neighbors staggering through the streets like zombies bleeding from their eyes, ears and nostrils. Freight trains don't get derailed and cause toxic spills. Buildings don't collapse.

MAN I miss the 100 WHALLOP a 100W Marshall puts-out.

The war is BACK ON!!!! :facepalm:

I really love the DSL. I was a pure 4-hole nmv marshall guy. I had a '76 MV 100w for a lot of years and it crunched too.
But man...the DSL is definitely true blue MARSHALL thunder.
I might even try the other channel this week. MAYBE ;-)

Anyway...hope you enjoyed my Marshall love rant and my history with them. The more things change....
Viva la DSL100!

Oh and..the JCM2000 DSL is no more. Now there's a DSL100H and iirc it sells new for around a grand!!!! Just sayin.

Yes the 18 and 36watters will clear the china cabinet and get you evicted but it wont have the neighbors staggering through the streets like zombies bleeding from their eyes, ears and nostrils. Freight trains don't get derailed and cause toxic spills. Buildings don't collapse.""

Awesome.....:adore:

Back