NAD - Sweet 16 Head and Cabinet

Word! If my wife walks into the room, I stop playing and pretend to be fiddling with the things. If one of the dogs walk in, I stop and find a treat that I can toss them to get out of the room.
I have a cure...play more with supportive guitar buddies! :D Seriously, I’ve played in working bands for YEARS and can still get butterflies playing privately in front of people. But playing with a bunch of forum buddies can make you forget that phobia. No bigger grin can be plastered on your face. Oh, and if it makes you feel any better, my cats scatter as soon as I flip the power switch on the amp. They know to take sonic cover. :cool:

I have a cure...play more with supportive guitar buddies! :D Seriously, I’ve played in working bands for YEARS and can still get butterflies playing privately in front of people. But playing with a bunch of forum buddies can make you forget that phobia. No bigger grin can be plastered on your face. Oh, and if it makes you feel any better, my cats scatter as soon as I flip the power switch on the amp. They know to take sonic cover. :cool:

Great advice!

My cure is to play keys. Guitar players and singers are so obsessed with themselves, they don’t care what I play; the drummer can’t hear anyone but the bass player; and the bass player spends all his or her time looking at the drummer for approval.

No one gives a rat’s ass what the keyboard player is doing.

And that, my friends, is liberating. :)

My cure is to play keys. Guitar players and singers are so obsessed with themselves, they don’t care what I play; the drummer can’t hear anyone but the bass player; and the bass player spends all his or her time looking at the drummer for approval.

No one gives a rat’s ass what the keyboard player is doing.

And that, my friends, is liberating. :)

Plus we’re all so grateful to even have a keyboard player.

Last night we had a band jam (not so much a practice, so I could mess around a bit), and I hooked up my newly re-configured mini/micro pedal board to the Sweet 16. The board is primarily intended for acoustic gigs where I might very rarely need a bit of dirt, so I recently added a Joyo Orange Juice amp emulator pedal (guess which brand of amp it emulates?) to the otherwise utilitarian pedals (tuner, modulation, boost, delay) one might use acoustically.

Although it sounded OK, I found the overall sound to be either a bit dark/muted (bright switch off) or a little too spitty (bright switch on). No-one else noticed, of course. I attributed this to perhaps not having taken any time to dial in the Orange Juice settings for use into an actual tube amp - I had been playing with it into an acoustic amp (since that is typical of acoustic gigs - I'll go into that amp or direct into the PA).

So I dialed back the "voice" (mids-boost control, really), then boosted it. Twiddled the tone. Nothing I was really happy with.

Just now I played with it a bit, same setting as last night. Yeah, same overall impression. But I recognized that the Master on the Sweet 16 was set relatively low (9 o'clock, maybe lower), because i was playing with a bunch of quieter acoustic instruments last night (acoustic guitar, one or two fiddles, and/or a whistle, hand percussion) and we were singing without amplification (so everyone dialed back playing their instruments so we wouldn't be ripping our vocal cords out).

I cranked up the Master to noon. Oh yeah, that sounds a whole lot better! 3 o'clock: yeah, baby! Gimme more! Dimed: Awe. Some.

So once again it goes to show that PRS amps really do like to be played with the Master set at noon or higher. Yeah, they "work" (sound OK) at lower Master settings, but to really get them shining, crank it!

Dear choir: I’ve been preaching to you about this for how long?

Sincerely, Les

Dean, Kollege Of Musical Knowledge
Doctor of Toneology and DoctordoctorgivemethenewsI’vegotabadcaseofrhythmandblues.
Harvard Divinitone School

Well, new to me - obviously only available on the used market now! I hadn't intended to buy this right now (although I have been watching Sweet 16s on Reverb for over a year now, tempted here and there). I was actually browsing for a 1x12 cab to possibly go with my HXDA combo amp recently acquired. This showed up after I filtered for "cabinets" and at first I thought "Wow, that is way too much to ask for a 1x12 cabinet!". Then I saw the listing was for head+cab, for a very tempting price...

qr7zv8H.jpg

Has a nice squishy Fender-ish (I guess) drive at full throttle, cleans up nicely, and just the right loudness for home jamming and band practice! It is an older build, 2009 IIRC, so not Rev B (or rev C - what was improved for Rev C?). I'm OK with that - the original version has just the right headroom at the intended volumes for my tastes. Oh, and while is is very bright with the bright switch engaged while playing on the bridge pickup of my CU24 [shown in pic], with the neck pup selected it brightened it up just enough to be heard in a band situation. So "bright=on" for a band gig, "bright=off" for solo gig or practicing alone.

Here are a couple of my pups (not pickups, actual canines) enjoying the new amp (they do sit around and listen to me play, and the big white one, and his brother [not shown], will sometimes get into a nice pack-howl along with my noodling! The dust-mop to the right will yap along usually - she doesn't have the howling thing down.):

Csfq4Jp.jpg
My spaniel likes to put her head on knee whilst I play in the house.

Her first Dad, a good friend who is also a guitarist must have got her used to good music

Dear choir: I’ve been preaching to you about this for how long?

Sincerely, Les

Dean, Kollege Of Musical Knowledge
Doctor of Toneology and DoctordoctorgivemethenewsI’vegotabadcaseofrhythmandblues.
Harvard Divinitone School
I will sheepishly admit that is indeed what you have been preaching, Dean/Doctor Les!

Oh, there is no doubt about it. I've jokingly said this before, but have you ever noticed that many of the PRS amp demo's are done with a cab that is in a different room (basement, I think) than they are in? Heck yeah, crank that thing up and record the GOOD tones. But no tickling ears or grumpy wives. Unfortunately that's not the world I live in. I can only do that when she's not home. Thank goodness the Archon hits "great tone" at a much lower volume level than some of the others (The H or Custom 50 that I owned/own).

Oh, there is no doubt about it. I've jokingly said this before, but have you ever noticed that many of the PRS amp demo's are done with a cab that is in a different room (basement, I think) than they are in? Heck yeah, crank that thing up and record the GOOD tones. But no tickling ears or grumpy wives. Unfortunately that's not the world I live in. I can only do that when she's not home. Thank goodness the Archon hits "great tone" at a much lower volume level than some of the others (The H or Custom 50 that I owned/own).
I’m totally here too. Mrs. B is frequently out of the house so I get the opportunity to rip a few times a week, but an that’s not ideal...an isolation box is in the making. This is also one reason I have a Kemper, but not the reason. Even its killer profiles need to breathe, or more so, needs to interact with the guitar. That’s what makes sustain and feedback so magical. Getting to the sweet spot of an amp is one thing, but creating a sweet zone where you play is what I pursue. (And make that happen wherever I play)

Slight bit of necro-thread posting, but hey, it is my thread...

In another recent thread I posted about a 1x12 PRS Cab I got to use with my HXDA 30W Combo amp. I noted that the new 1x12 was rated for 60W, while my 1x12 that came with the Sweet 16 Head (both with matching Tuxedo tolex) was rated only for 30W according to the backplate, which seemed odd, since they supposedly both came with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers.

Side quest: why is a "Vintage 30" rated for 60 watts? Shouldn't that have been Vintage 60 then?

Answer, care of TGP quoting a book (bold my emphasis):

From "The History Of Marshall":

The well known Vintage 30 was introduced in 1986 after protestations from Marshall's Steve Grinrod that "ceramic speakers did not sound as good as Alnico speakers." Steve continues the story:

"The Vintage 30 was not intended to be (nor is) a G12H30, but rather a modern-day Alnico, and was originally intended purely for the Studio 15 (4001). The price and availability of cobalt [Alnico = Aluminum, Nickel, Cobalt] in 1985/86 was outrageous as a consequence of the Cold War; hence the use of a ceramic magnet.

"We found that the "H" magnet came closer to Alnico in terms of measurable performance, and a new coil assembly was designed using modern materials having similar mass and physical properties to the Alnico 15 watt, but with a much higher flammmability rating; hence the Vintage 30's 70 watt power handling."

"Unfortunately, the original cone was not available, so we used the next nearest and added some quite severe doping. The result was a very fine loudspeaker, not quite but very close to the sound of an Alnico, with a fatter midrange. And since it's release date coincided with increased demand for classic loudspeakers such as the G12H30, it was marketed by Celestion as the "Vintage 30", which was where all the confusion came in."

Anyway:

Every description/review of the Sweet 16 cab says Celestion Vintage 30, if it specifies anything. The Reverb listing when I bought it said Vintage 30, probably because that is what all the reviews said.

So I opened it up.

It is a Celestion G12H (70th anniv edition), 30W, not a Vintage 30. Which is interesting because the Sweet 16 Combo amp came with a G12H30.

OK, that explains the rating on the back of the cab. But why does every review/description say it should have been a V30? Did PRS offer two different Tuxedo 1x12s for the Sweet 16, one with a V30 rated at 60W, one rated at 30W because it had a G12H30?

I like the idea of the speaker having a rating not too far from the amp's nominal max power, which is 16W in this case. The 60W cab might have sounded just too refined, because no speaker cone breakup would ever occur.

And finally, one more twist. The G12H30 speaker is marked as "6 ohm". Celestion specs say the 8 ohm G12H have 6.1 ohm DC resistance. And that is about what I measure (5.9 in my case).

But the back plate of the cabinet itself says 16 ohm, and that is how I have the amp set.

I wonder if someone swapped speakers in this cab at some point? Or does PRS think it is OK running the cab as "16 ohms"?

@Shawn@PRS , do you have any info? SN of the cab is 090154 if PRS has records of such things?

I'm going to switch the amp to 8 ohm mode for now, just in case. But I've been using it in 16 ohm mode for a few years, obviously.

And finally, one more twist. The G12H30 speaker is marked as "6 ohm". Celestion specs say the 8 ohm G12H have 6.1 ohm DC resistance. And that is about what I measure (5.9 in my case).

But the back plate of the cabinet itself says 16 ohm, and that is how I have the amp set.

I wonder if someone swapped speakers in this cab at some point? Or does PRS think it is OK running the cab as "16 ohms"?

@Shawn@PRS , do you have any info? SN of the cab is 090154 if PRS has records of such things?

I'm going to switch the amp to 8 ohm mode for now, just in case. But I've been using it in 16 ohm mode for a few years, obviously.
Bump. Anyone have any idea about the speaker rating of 6 ohms vs the cabinet at 16 ohm?

Well, as mentioned, DC resistance for a typical speaker is about 75% of the rated impedance. So a 16 Ohm speaker measure 12 ohms DC resistance, 8 measures 6, etc. I assume (!) that the speaker is marked as such because of that.
That’s because the impedance varies through the frequency range of a speaker, so the stated rating is always a “nominal” rating.

I’d be surprised if that’s the stock speaker, probably a swap.
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to discern. The combo amps supposed came with that exact speaker, while very review of the separate extension cabs says they came with Vintage 30s (and therefore a 60W rating).

Maybe if I ping @Shawn@PRS again right here he'll see my question?

If not, I will eventually send an email to PRS Customer Service, which we all know is Shawn 90% of the time, and I'll get an answer that way, I guess.

I got a response from PRS Customer Service, this time it was Sean who responded.

The G12H30 is the correct stock speaker, and the cab should have been labeled as 8 ohm, not 16. So I will keep the amp set to 8 ohm on the output.

Oh, and as I mentioned is different thread in a different subforum, this Sweet 16 sounds really good with finger picking country-blues type stuff, in the vein of (but nearly as good as) David Grissom, plugged straight in. Especially when cranked!

Back