NAD: Positive Grid Spark 40

ESPImperium

Finally, after ordering it in November of last year it has arrived in the wild. Great amp for what it does, its not meant to replace any tube amp or anything that would be used live. The thing is a practice amp, its meant to be something you can seamlessly plug into and get a good tone quickly from to get you going really quickly. Hugely powerful with backing tracks and much much more. So far I've only scratched the surface. Especially on the app, as that will add so many layers to what will be a very popular amp in the future. I can see many bands using them on tour for their warm up rooms. Looks great as well!!!

Now the downsides, the bloody laptop power brick, this needs to be integrated into a Version 2, they need to come up with an added footswitch, or even a bluetooth one, something that you can switch between the 4 accessible presets. As for the USB connection, USB A to USB B?? Id have it USB A to USB C, I'm sure this could have been used for a footswitch, or a bluetooth with the USB C to charge it??? Im sure that with them Positive Grid will be able to refine this amp, add more functionality on the app and get one or two of the more physical challenges of the amp as well.

Thing I'm gonna use it this week to create a whole hunk of noise when the Clap for the NHS happens on Thursday.

Pics:
EXRhjxmWoAEjzAw

EXRhjxoXYAsKeJi

Thanks in advance.

As for the USB connection, USB A to USB B??

A -> B is the spec for USB Host to Peripheral connections.

Printers, Audio Interfaces, and anything that is not 'the computer' had a USB-B connection before the confuse-o-matic system that is the USB-C/thunderbolt connector.

I read about those months ago and they so delayed getting to market, I have forgotten. What did the end up pricing them at?

I got mine a couple weeks ago and I'm loving it. Easier to use and sounds better than my THR10. The effects sounds are pretty spot on. The app is pretty great, except I haven't had much luck getting what I want out of the auto accompaniment feature.

The only thing missing (maybe just haven't found it) is ability to change speaker cabs. In reality, my fave tones are tweedy amps with Brit speakers and I can't get that combo in the app yet.

I ordered mine at $209 in early Nov and it took 5 months to get here. They're still doing "pre-orders" now, at $224, which is pretty ridiculous because they can't meet the demand. Retail is supposedly $299.

Ok, I thought I remembered it being really cheap. It's pretty interesting at that price!

Ok, I thought I remembered it being really cheap. It's pretty interesting at that price!

At that price it was a no brainer, so I really didn't mind the wait. I had other tools to use and when it finally showed up it was like a present since I'd pretty much already forgotten about having paid for it.

And it sounds good enough that all's forgiven. I did a little clip right after I got it of the "Two Stone" amp. (Hope this works, haven't shared Facebook video before.)

At that price it was a no brainer, so I really didn't mind the wait. I had other tools to use and when it finally showed up it was like a present since I'd pretty much already forgotten about having paid for it.

And it sounds good enough that all's forgiven. I did a little clip right after I got it of the "Two Stone" amp. (Hope this works, haven't shared Facebook video before.)

Wow, that sounds really good!

I went ahead and ordered one today. Not sure how accurate their estimates are, but they say it will ship in June/July.

I went ahead and ordered one today. Not sure how accurate their estimates are, but they say it will ship in June/July.
Did they say what year? :)

J/K of course. Really seems like a pretty cool little tool. (I’ll let Alnus do the “TWSS” on this one).

I read about those months ago and they so delayed getting to market, I have forgotten. What did the end up pricing them at?

I got mine at the $209 mark, but with import taxes and shipping it was more like $246 or something like that.

I got mine a couple weeks ago and I'm loving it. Easier to use and sounds better than my THR10. The effects sounds are pretty spot on. The app is pretty great, except I haven't had much luck getting what I want out of the auto accompaniment feature.

The only thing missing (maybe just haven't found it) is ability to change speaker cabs. In reality, my fave tones are tweedy amps with Brit speakers and I can't get that combo in the app yet.

I ordered mine at $209 in early Nov and it took 5 months to get here. They're still doing "pre-orders" now, at $224, which is pretty ridiculous because they can't meet the demand. Retail is supposedly $299.

Taking 5 months to get here was crazy, but I've had way worse, like the Alter Bridge X Box Set - Thats a October 2013 order, received in March 2015 story - alas i can't complain. I also have the SMG Cockblocker on order.

Id like to gain control over the cab sim, as im getting a good tone with the Bogner 'American Highgain' model and the Fender 'Blackface' model as well The other effects work well, i can get close to what i want, the lack of effects like phaser and others before it enters the amp is needed.

I need to get more control over my Spotify link up as i need to get playlists in there for songs to be added to the thing for me to learn. Ill get use over other things as well, once i spend time with them.

Its great for bass as well, it is also a killer boom box for bluetooth as well.

To be honest, i think this, in a version two, or a new app would be much better, or has much more to come once Positive Grid develop it more.

Id love to see the power brick integrated into the cab, then a 3 meter figure 8 power cable added in. Whilst we are at it, id like to see a integrated battery added into it, something that at 50% master volume would give 4 hours worth of play time. Overall, its not bad for a first version, a little tweaking and it will probably be the ultimate practice amp, a amp i can see many touring artists using once they get back on the road to use in their band rooms.

Sounds excellent !!

I ordered one on July 3rd. The CEO has committed to better communications and shipping on all orders. Mine is suppose to ship mid-August.

I have a tube output 130w Peavey and a tube preamp 75W Marshall. I needed a lower powered practice amp. The modeling and jamming features of the Spark 40 interest me. At $224, it was a no brained.

My next amp I think will be the PRS MT-15 and matching cabinet. I like the sound of an all tube amp and this one seems well thought out.

I received mine last week, but haven't had more than about 15 minutes to play with it so far. But initial reactions all positive.

Back