NAD (not PRS, but PRS demo...)

Egads

One, Two, THIRTEEN!
I've been looking at a few different amps as of late, and stumbled on a great deal on a very cool amp. This is the first time I've bought an mp solely on reviews and interwebs demos. Needless to say, I was a little worried. The price as so good that I felt it was worth the risk. It was.

Street price was right up there with the Sweet 16+, which was where I was leaning. Then, I noticed Willcutt had a crazy clearance on this amp. I contacted the builder (very nice guy) and found he was also selling at the discounted price to clear out some back stock. I was able to get the speaker I wanted (Jensen Blackbird Alnico) for a small up-charge.

So...it's an amazing amp! I think it is equally on par with the Sweet 16, but I paid $1k less than the street price of that amp. I'll be able to compare e amp directly to a Sweet 16+ Saturday or Sunday, as my dad just received his.

Here's the PG demo from January.
http://youtu.be/lCND-p3SNOo

Last edited by a moderator:
I will give this a listen over the weekend when I have a bit more time. Certainly interested so hear what it sounds like. Congrats on the amp and the price.

Naw, I went with black--that way it will always match my slinky cocktail dress. I really did think about the western print.

I had some more time with it in a band situation today. I'm really digging it. I got to hear it side by side with my Pop's Sweet 16+. Both are awesome, but different. The Sweet 16+ (at 40 watts) isa. LOUD frickin' amp! At full street price it's about he same as the NACE! and I probably would have gone that way. Also, it's beautiful. The paisley and blue crab blue faceplate are awesome. The pic doesn't show the color well but you can see it next to his blue crab blue Studio.

I had some more time with it in a band situation today. I'm really digging it. I spend a lot of time with my THD BiValve, which is a totally different monster. My only complaint about that amp is the lack of bass. No matter what cab I'm playing through! I almost always have the bass cranked and still want a little (or a lot) more. The Nace has almost too much bass! He makes the combo with two sizes of cabs, and I wanted the small for convenience, but was worried about the bass response. Right now, the bass is on 1.5-2 out of 10.

I got to hear it side by side with my Pop's Sweet 16+. Both are awesome, but different. The Sweet 16+ (at 40 watts) is a LOUD frickin' amp! Also, it's beautiful. The paisley and blue crab blue faceplate are awesome. The pic doesn't show the color well but you can see it next to his blue crab blue Studio.

I highly recommend both amps for what they are. The Nace doesn't sound like what I think EL84 amps are normally associated with. There is chime, but the fullness and body are there, and there is a woodiness that's really nice. Maybe like a blackface Deluxe.

20131123_174647_zps068a6ecb.jpg

20131123_174610_zps3b0b8cbe-1.jpg

Back