NAD - HXDA 30 1x12 Combo in Paisley

This matches my understanding from the manual.

I've wondered whether I could use my PRS 2x12 cabinet with my Sweet 16 and Archon 25 combos. The combos have a 16 ohm 12" speaker while the 2x12 is 8 ohms. Normally I think it would be a bad idea to use a 16 ohm speaker in parallel with an 8 ohm cabinet. But since the 2x12 is two 16 ohm 12" speakers in parallel, I'd effectively have three 12" 16 ohm speakers in parallel giving a 5.3 ohm load. It seems like I should be able to use this and select a 4 ohm load on the amp. I'll email PRS before I actually try this though.
Hey, did you ever contact PRS Customer Service to see what they say?

This matches my understanding from the manual.

I've wondered whether I could use my PRS 2x12 cabinet with my Sweet 16 and Archon 25 combos. The combos have a 16 ohm 12" speaker while the 2x12 is 8 ohms. Normally I think it would be a bad idea to use a 16 ohm speaker in parallel with an 8 ohm cabinet. But since the 2x12 is two 16 ohm 12" speakers in parallel, I'd effectively have three 12" 16 ohm speakers in parallel giving a 5.3 ohm load. It seems like I should be able to use this and select a 4 ohm load on the amp. I'll email PRS before I actually try this though.
So because I am the curious type, I contacted PRS Customer Service again and asked them about that scenario. They indicated it would be best to connect to the two 4-ohm speaker jacks, but recognize that the speakers will not be driven as efficiently due to the impedance mis-match.

I might try it with my PRS 2x12 cab in parallel with the HXDA's internal speaker, but I don't know if I'd want that as a long-term configuration.

Anyway, I have a 1x12 cab incoming as part of a head+cab set I picked up recently...

The power on indicator light bulb burned out on me today.

As it turns out PRS uses the same lamp/bulb as Fender does for their amps (bayonet T47), so I had a spare from when I bought a pack of two from when my Fender amp lamp blew, about 12 years ago. Weird thing is it took me only 30 seconds to grab the spare, since it was in a spot where I would keep such things, despite having moved 4 or five times since the last bulb blew.

Ask me to find something from last week, it will take me a couple days. 12 years ago? No sweat, here it is.

As it turns out PRS uses the same lamp/bulb as Fender does for their amps (bayonet T47), so I had a spare from when I bought a pack of two from when my Fender amp lamp blew, about 12 years ago. Weird thing is it took me only 30 seconds to grab the spare, since it was in a spot where I would keep such things, despite having moved 4 or five times since the last bulb blew.

Ask me to find something from last week, it will take me a couple days. 12 years ago? No sweat, here it is.

Good to know!

I'll bet it doesn't sound as good with the Fender light...

Oh, I know - same bulb. But it was sold for a Fender amp, and that has to taint it a bit...:p

Oh, I know - same bulb. But it was sold for a Fender amp, and that has to taint it a bit...:p

There are some awesome Fender amps, actually. Whether they stack up to a PRS amp depends on what you’re into.

I prefer the PRS amps, but I have a lot of respect for Fenders.

And yes, I know you were kidding.

I know you jest, but:

Actually, my replacement bulbs were procured from Radio Shack, in Radio Shack product packaging - so they weren't branded as Fender.

So, um, there!

:p

I know you jest, but:

Actually, my replacement bulbs were procured from Radio Shack, in Radio Shack product packaging - so they weren't branded as Fender.

So, um, there!

:p

Generic!!! Good lord - how have the amp police not arrested you yet???

Ack! Hadn't thought of that!

But this latest install was using a NOS bulb, since the package was at least 12 years old (and who knows how long it hung on that peg at Radio Shack before I bought it!), so that should be OK, right?

Ack! Hadn't thought of that!

But this latest install was using a NOS bulb, since the package was at least 12 years old (and who knows how long it hung on that peg at Radio Shack before I bought it!), so that should be OK, right?

Maybe if you buy into that voodoo "vintage illumination" thing...

Uh, maybe Les, I mean "They" haven't seen this post yet. :p

(I crack me up sometimes)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back