NAD! HDRX 20 - gigging guitarists are going to LOVE this!

andy474x

Knows the Drill

Here it is!

I’m not far enough in to know everything about this amp, but I’m confident there are going to be some players really loving it!

The sound is accurate to what comes through in the demos, with the exception of the fact that they don’t convey how absolutely HUGE and LOUD it is. Very fat sounding in general, as most PRS amps are. To me, that’s an advantage, because so many different kinds of boosts can be used to trim some of the low end and push the mids, and really just push the whole sound one way or another. Kind of like a blank canvas of amp overdrive. Cranking the treble channel can get a nice bark with humbuckers, too, so it’s not too fat. Wide range of sounds available by working the two channels. The mid boost is a nice touch, noticeable but not overbearing. The bright switch, I’ll admit, is a little too bright for me in the capacity I’ve used it so far, but the top end is spot on without it.

Very happy about the noise floor - some other import PRS amps have suffered from noise and grounding problems, this is very quiet until the overall volume of the amp is getting way up there. And even then, totally acceptable and appropriate for a tube amp, so big thumbs up.

So far, I’ve only played it through my closed back PRS 2x12. I wouldn’t always consider playing a plexi style amp through an open back cab, but I’m definitely going to try this, because it has the oomph to do it and not sound thin.

The build looks very good. Excellent tolex work, solid knobs and switches, and surprisingly light. Even has a nice leather handle, I always like that over the strap style! If it sounds good with an open back cab, I can pair it with one if my pine 1x12 cabs I built, and that will be a very light and portable rig.

The only real negative so far is that the master really chokes the tone when it’s turned way down to bedroom level, it thins way out and just isn’t useable. The Sonzera did the same, if you’re familiar. Fine for me, I use a load box for home play, but something to be aware of for the bedroom players. Any PRS amp I’ve ever owned or tried has been a gigging amp through and through, and going to shine when it’s putting out at least some moderate volume.

I think this could be a big hit with players that like to gig a single channel amp. Awesome noise floor, light, wide range of tones via the controls. Plenty of volume, can’t imagine needing more these days unless one needs 40-50 watts of crystal cleans. Get into even mild crunch and there’s plenty. And, really, that’s where this amp wants to live. It can do clean, I’m still exploring that, but edge of breakup is the place to start on something like this.

Thanks and congrats Andy!

One question I have for now, I've heard some wolly-ness... almost fuzz like tones in some videos. Let me know your thoughts on if that goes away with the bass channel gain is lowered, and if it does so without thinning out the tone.

I've got a power station so won't need to lower the master enough to thin out the tone. I'll be in soon on one of these, just wanted to get your thoughts on that fuzz like character.

Here it is!

I’m not far enough in to know everything about this amp, but I’m confident there are going to be some players really loving it!

The sound is accurate to what comes through in the demos, with the exception of the fact that they don’t convey how absolutely HUGE and LOUD it is. Very fat sounding in general, as most PRS amps are. To me, that’s an advantage, because so many different kinds of boosts can be used to trim some of the low end and push the mids, and really just push the whole sound one way or another. Kind of like a blank canvas of amp overdrive. Cranking the treble channel can get a nice bark with humbuckers, too, so it’s not too fat. Wide range of sounds available by working the two channels. The mid boost is a nice touch, noticeable but not overbearing. The bright switch, I’ll admit, is a little too bright for me in the capacity I’ve used it so far, but the top end is spot on without it.

Very happy about the noise floor - some other import PRS amps have suffered from noise and grounding problems, this is very quiet until the overall volume of the amp is getting way up there. And even then, totally acceptable and appropriate for a tube amp, so big thumbs up.

So far, I’ve only played it through my closed back PRS 2x12. I wouldn’t always consider playing a plexi style amp through an open back cab, but I’m definitely going to try this, because it has the oomph to do it and not sound thin.

The build looks very good. Excellent tolex work, solid knobs and switches, and surprisingly light. Even has a nice leather handle, I always like that over the strap style! If it sounds good with an open back cab, I can pair it with one if my pine 1x12 cabs I built, and that will be a very light and portable rig.

The only real negative so far is that the master really chokes the tone when it’s turned way down to bedroom level, it thins way out and just isn’t useable. The Sonzera did the same, if you’re familiar. Fine for me, I use a load box for home play, but something to be aware of for the bedroom players. Any PRS amp I’ve ever owned or tried has been a gigging amp through and through, and going to shine when it’s putting out at least some moderate volume.

I think this could be a big hit with players that like to gig a single channel amp. Awesome noise floor, light, wide range of tones via the controls. Plenty of volume, can’t imagine needing more these days unless one needs 40-50 watts of crystal cleans. Get into even mild crunch and there’s plenty. And, really, that’s where this amp wants to live. It can do clean, I’m still exploring that, but edge of breakup is the place to start on something like this.
Thanks for the write-up. Curious to know what setting "bedroom" level is on the master volume...we talking between 0 and 2 on the dial? I don't have any local to me to try out but I did see a review of one where I like the tones coming out of it with the master set to around 3 I think

Back