NAD: DG 30 head!

MA Pete

Pattern Thin Convert!
Les continues to be a bad influence on me ;) - NAD, DG 30 head!

dtUgFO8.jpg

This amp is pretty great, now I see what all the fuss is about!

Let me start by clarifying again that there is no way whatsoever I could get great tones out of the HXDA and/or DG 30 without the Ox Box at home. I am not talking "bedroom" volumes, I am talking about still pretty loud moving some air, but running these amps at ~3 o'clock on the Master to get them into the sweet spot for monster tone. No way I could do that without the Ox Box without peeling paint off the walls. That thing is a complete game changer, at least for me.

Set up like this, it is like a Hot-Rodded Marshall, with its own unique character going on.

zQWi0ZM.jpg

It *LOVES* 5815 LT's!

Matching Cab coming this week.

I have a new 2020 DGT that I have not done an NGD on yet, it is with my tech getting new strings and a setup - I am looking forward to hearing the DGT + DG 30 combination! ;)

If that sounds as good as it looks, you’ve got one heck of an amp there! Congrats!

+1 on the UA Ox Box. Love what it does!

Congrats on a great score!

I turned the Archon clean channel up a bit tonight and was just stunned how great it was. At some point, I’m going to have to find out if some sort of attenuator/re-amp device is mandatory. I can’t turn it up that loud often, but it was holy crap great. I have held off on an HX/DA and an MDT because I know I can’t turn them up often enough... and if I hear “that” tone, I’m going to want to crank it all the time. It’s addictive. I know this amp is in that same vein.

Congrats on the amp AND on finding a way to get the magic at more reasonable volume levels.

Glad you like it!

I run my DG30 almost exactly the same, except I use less gain (my usual setting on the gain varies from 1:00 - 3:00, because I’m a lower gain player), and in my room (with wall diffuser/absorber panels and carpet plus rug, so it’s not a bright sounding room), I like the bright switch on with the DG cab.

With the DG cab you’ll probably be able to increase the bass control a little, too; that tends to add a little cream to the coffee.

I’m using my DG plus 594 Soapbar on a new ad project, and am getting super-nice tones. It’s a wonderful combination.

Generally I’m running my DG with the boost off, but using the boost gives the amp a different tone structure; have you tried using it? It’s pretty cool.

Oh, a couple of tips:

The cut control in back is kind of interesting, because you can use it in combination with the bright switch and treble control to boost certain high frequencies and cut others, similar to the way the legendary Pultec EQ is used in a studio setting. What the combination does is it alters the high frequency response curve in different ways. Lets you really carve out your own unique sound, and tailor the response to your room and guitars in different ways.

The DG cab, being made of pine, also sweetens the upper midrange and high frequencies. I think you’ll find it a nice combination.

Glad you like it!

I run my DG30 almost exactly the same, except I use less gain (my usual setting on the gain varies from 1:00 - 3:00, because I’m a lower gain player), and in my room (with wall diffuser/absorber panels and carpet plus rug, so it’s not a bright sounding room), I like the bright switch on with the DG cab.

With the DG cab you’ll probably be able to increase the bass control a little, too; that tends to add a little cream to the coffee.

I’m using my DG plus 594 Soapbar on a new ad project, and am getting super-nice tones. It’s a wonderful combination.

Generally I’m running my DG with the boost off, but using the boost gives the amp a different tone structure; have you tried using it? It’s pretty cool.

Oh, a couple of tips:

The cut control in back is kind of interesting, because you can use it in combination with the bright switch and treble control to boost certain high frequencies and cut others, similar to the way the legendary Pultec EQ is used in a studio setting. What the combination does is it alters the high frequency response curve in different ways. Lets you really carve out your own unique sound, and tailor the response to your room and guitars in different ways.

The DG cab, being made of pine, also sweetens the upper midrange and high frequencies. I think you’ll find it a nice combination.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and tips!

Funny story with regards to the Boost Switch - I didn't notice it was there I had been using the amp for a week and thought "wow, this thing is like a Hot-Rodded Marshall when dimed!" And then yesterday someone told me it had a Boost switch, and to try that. It turns out that it was turned on for that whole week of playing. ;)

So with the Boost switch on, it is like a Hot-Rodded Marshall when dimed. With the Boost Switch off, it is more like how David runs it in his demos, lower gain crunchy, getting into higher gain with Boosts and ODs in front of the amp. That all makes more sense to me now!

Also re your comment on the Bright switch - David leaves his off from what he says in the demos, but I have to concur with you that with the Boost off that so far I like that better on.

(I just noticed the Cut and Presence Knobs on the back - I haven't tinkered with those yet.)

I haven't played the DC 594 Soapbar through it yet, as I have been focused on the Solidbody 594s with it this week, and the new 25" McCarty and the DGT.

The Cab is coming next week. Right now it sounds glorious through my Bogner Goldfinger 2x12 Open Back Cab with a Greenback and Celestion G12H Heritage. I am surprised by this, but I am greatly preferring the 2x12 Open back to my "old" favorite of the Bogner Helios Closed Back Oversized 2x12 - with all of my (many) Marshall-voiced amps.

Great amp! I think I like it a little better with than the HXDA. I still love the HXDA, though! :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and tips!

Funny story with regards to the Boost Switch - I didn't notice it was there I had been using the amp for a week and thought "wow, this thing is like a Hot-Rodded Marshall when dimed!" And then yesterday someone told me it had a Boost switch, and to try that. It turns out that it was turned on for that whole week of playing. ;)

So with the Boost switch on, it is like a Hot-Rodded Marshall when dimed. With the Boost Switch off, it is more like how David runs it in his demos, lower gain crunchy, getting into higher gain with Boosts and ODs in front of the amp. That all makes more sense to me now!

Also re your comment on the Bright switch - David leaves his off from what he says in the demos, but I have to concur with you that with the Boost off that so far I like that better on.

(I just noticed the Cut and Presence Knobs on the back - I haven't tinkered with those yet.)

I haven't played the DC 594 Soapbar through it yet, as I have been focused on the Solidbody 594s with it this week, and the new 25" McCarty and the DGT.

The Cab is coming next week. Right now it sounds glorious through my Bogner Goldfinger 2x12 Open Back Cab with a Greenback and Celestion G12H Heritage. I am surprised by this, but I am greatly preferring the 2x12 Open back to my "old" favorite of the Bogner Helios Closed Back Oversized 2x12 - with all of my (many) Marshall-voiced amps.

Great amp! I think I like it a little better with than the HXDA. I still love the HXDA, though! :)

To my way of thinking, the amp sounds best with an open or semi-open back cab. I’ve tried it with closed back cabs, and it was nice, but there isn’t really much comparison, and in truth, it was clearly voiced for an open back/ported cab, so it ought to work best with one.

When you get your DG cab, try it with the Soapbar. It’s really a match made in heaven. I run mine with the gain about 2:00 with that guitar, and take the guitar volume control back to about 6-8, and it’s a match made in heaven; warm, rich sounding, just beautiful.

Not that it isn’t great with ‘buckers, because of course, it is.

I think of the DG30 as “the amp that can do everything”. Yes, it can do a hot-rod semi Marshall or cranked near-Vox. But it also has lots of other colors available, as you’d expect from an amp designed with a working professional who has to adapt to lots of recording and performing situations.

I go back and forth between it and the HXDA as to which one I love more. Fact is, they’re meant for different tasks, and that’s not a bad thing!

To my way of thinking, the amp sounds best with an open or semi-open back cab. I’ve tried it with closed back cabs, and it was nice, but there isn’t really much comparison, and in truth, it was clearly voiced for an open back/ported cab, so it ought to work best with one.

When you get your DG cab, try it with the Soapbar. It’s really a match made in heaven. I run mine with the gain about 2:00 with that guitar, and take the guitar volume control back to about 6-8, and it’s a match made in heaven; warm, rich sounding, just beautiful.

Not that it isn’t great with ‘buckers, because of course, it is.

I think of the DG30 as “the amp that can do everything”. Yes, it can do a hot-rod semi Marshall or cranked near-Vox. But it also has lots of other colors available, as you’d expect from an amp designed with a working professional who has to adapt to lots of recording and performing situations.

I go back and forth between it and the HXDA as to which one I love more. Fact is, they’re meant for different tasks, and that’s not a bad thing!

Will do re trying with the Soapbar when the Cab comes in!

I have so many new darn guitars and amps these days that I will need to make a prioritized list of what to try to with what! :) (An enviable problem to have - one I cherish and am very thankful for!)

Re the cab - I expected to like the DG 30 better through the Open Back 2x12. What I did NOT expect was liking the HXDA and other non-PRS Hot-Rodded Marshalls better through the Open Back 2x12 versus the Closed Back 2x12. I guess I had it in my head that Closed Back cabs are better for Marshall-type amps, based on decades of seeing Marshall Full Stacks with closed back 4x12s on every stage ever. ;)

(Maybe I will post more on that later on that Uncommon place...)

congratulations. I also have a DG30 with matching cabinet and it was a game changer for me. I can say that I started to play better. Can tell you why, but I think it must have to do with something the way responds, sounds and feel when you're playing. anyway, in the beggining it looks like just a very good clean amp, but there's a lot of sounds hidden on those controls.

just like LSChefman , I use less gain, bright switch always ON and PRESENCE & CUT controls I tend to adjust from time to time. The BOOST switch I tend to use off, but after this chat will give another spin.

it's also a very good looking piece of gear, so I have it in the living room just beside the TV set. My wife does not complaing and says it looks really good where it is

congratulations. I also have a DG30 with matching cabinet and it was a game changer for me. I can say that I started to play better. Can tell you why, but I think it must have to do with something the way responds, sounds and feel when you're playing. anyway, in the beggining it looks like just a very good clean amp, but there's a lot of sounds hidden on those controls.

just like LSChefman , I use less gain, bright switch always ON and PRESENCE & CUT controls I tend to adjust from time to time. The BOOST switch I tend to use off, but after this chat will give another spin.

it's also a very good looking piece of gear, so I have it in the living room just beside the TV set. My wife does not complaing and says it looks really good where it is

Thanks!

I plan to start exploring the "lower gain" side of the amp, when I get the matching cab and set up a dedicated pedalboard for it. I will follow the David Grissom coaching from his workshops, with Boost and OD in front of it for higher gain, and play with the Presence & Cut settings. I think Bright switch off is best for higher gain, and on is best for lower gain settings, from what I have heard so far.

I agree re being a great looking set of gear as well! It will go in my Office alcove where I will see it day-to-day more than I see my other rigs, it will look GREAT there! ;)

Thanks!

I plan to start exploring the "lower gain" side of the amp, when I get the matching cab and set up a dedicated pedalboard for it. I will follow the David Grissom coaching from his workshops, with Boost and OD in front of it for higher gain, and play with the Presence & Cut settings. I think Bright switch off is best for higher gain, and on is best for lower gain settings, from what I have heard so far.

I agree re being a great looking set of gear as well! It will go in my Office alcove where I will see it day-to-day more than I see my other rigs, it will look GREAT there! ;)
take your time. I always know where to start, but I like to mess with those knobs to look for the sound I want. to my taste, this amps always delivers. Presence and Cut are the knobs that I mess the most. I have an EP booster ON all the time too.

take your time. I always know where to start, but I like to mess with those knobs to look for the sound I want. to my taste, this amps always delivers. Presence and Cut are the knobs that I mess the most. I have an EP booster ON all the time too.

Thanks for the additional tips!

I *LOVE* the EP Booster, have for a long time. It is not "always on" for me, but it is on a lot. I am also very intrigued by the demos and reviews of the Xotic Super Sweet and Super Clean pedals, I actually have those coming in today to check out.

I run three pedalboards at home for various amp setups - 1 for single channel Marshally amps - HDXA and DG 30, one for Marshally amps with effects loops, and one for High Headroom Clean with pedals for Dirt, so I can use all 3 at any given time across the 3 boards and applications/tone formulas. :)

Back