NAD: Archon...and a cabinet query

TedintheShed

Go a 100 watt Archon with the curly maple front. Played through an Orange 2x12 with Celestion V30 and it just sounded massive. At home all I have is an Engl 1x12 Pro so I'm on the hunt for a 2x12.

I understand that the Stealth 2x12 with the matching front is no longer made but when perusing the PRS site I see another 2x12, however these aren't loaded with the Celestion V30's but G12T-75. I'm not familiar with these, but the V30's sounded sooooo good with that amp.

I'll be on the.lookout for the old cabinet style but in case I can't find one...

My question is have anyone paired their Archon with this new cabinet and what were the results?

Also, if the result were unpleasant do you have any cab suggestions? Like I said, the Orange sounded massive.

Thanks!
Ted.

I don't really like G12T-75's, personally. So far, I'm very fond of my MESA 4x12 with V'30s going along with my Archon.

I say, buy them all!
amps2013.jpg

I have the new Stealth 2x12 on order and I am hoping it sounds good. I have tried my archon with a Friedman 2x12 cab (v30), Friedman 4x12 (v30 & Greenback), Marshall 1960B (GT75), Bogner Uber cab (v30 & GT75) and a Mesa Traditional 4x12 (v30) and honestly it sounded great through all of the cabs. I am generally not a huge fan on the GT75's although it does depends on the amp but for the few minutes I played with the Marshall 1960B cab I thought it sounded fine.

I will report back when I receive the new PRS 2x12 FWIW I was told from my dealer it won't be here until September now.

I have the new Stealth 2x12 on order and I am hoping it sounds good. I have tried my archon with a Friedman 2x12 cab (v30), Friedman 4x12 (v30 & Greenback), Marshall 1960B (GT75), Bogner Uber cab (v30 & GT75) and a Mesa Traditional 4x12 (v30) and honestly it sounded great through all of the cabs. I am generally not a huge fan on the GT75's although it does depends on the amp but for the few minutes I played with the Marshall 1960B cab I thought it sounded fine.

I will report back when I receive the new PRS 2x12 FWIW I was told from my dealer it won't be here until September now.
I want a Bigmouth cab, but I guess they are out of production.
I thought the Friedman 2x was greenback/V30... ???

Friedman 2x12 is V30s and the Friedman 4x12 has Greenbacks on top and V30s on the bottom. Both sound fantastic. Also I would classify the 2x12 as a very big and dark sounding cab.

Ok, the Friedman I played at GC, and the one I was reading about at TGP, was a 2x12 with Greenback/V30. That cab was getting a lot of love at TGP as a nice vintage/modern mix, tonally. I concur, as I have an Emi Private Jack (greenback type) and an Emi Governor (V30 type) in 1x12 Avatar cabs and when I chain them together it works great with the Archon or ATMA. (or my Mesa Boogies for that matter)

I like vertical 2x12s, so I like the Boogie.

My 100w Archon sits on a brand new Mesa Boogie vertical 2x12 cabinet.
The PRS 2x12 cabinets are made of pine and thus limited to the width which is determined by the boards which the lumber industry supplies. 12 inches is as wide as pine boards get.
The vertical Boogie cabinets are made of Birch plywood, so they aren't limited in that way. That allows for a bigger 2x12 cabinet with more air inside.
This results in a 2x12 cabinet which can compete with a 4x12 cabinet in a tone contest. I guess the more air in the Boogie 2x12 gives more low end which you would typically get from a 4x14.
That being said, Boogie made some old vertical 2x12 which were half closed back and half open back. People like those too but they aren't the same as what I'm talking about.
I currently have two of the new style Boogie vertical 2x12's. They also provide the advantage of being easy to move and bring the amp dials closer to me when I sit the head on top of the cabinet.
This...
http://www.mesaboogie.com/cabinets-...ctifier-series/2x12-recto-vertical-slant.html

Back