NAD! 25th Anniversary head and cab

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the comments. I have been jonesing for one of these since they came out but never quite pulled the trigger. Musicians Friend made me an offer on the amp head that I couldn't refuse. This was the last one in stock. They told me they won't be getting anymore because the amp is being discontinued due to the other PRS amps being being variations/ improvements on the 25th. Not sure if I believe the discontinued story, but for $2200 shipped for a brand new amp head, how do you say no? The idea of having an amp that clones Eric Johnson's '68 modded Marshall Plexi definitely appealed to me. I'm a bit old school with my amp use and prefer a single channel class A style. I use the volume and tone controls for clean, crunch, and overdrive sounds. I call it channel switching with my pinkie.

My only issue with this amp is that it is ridiculously loud... Like peel the paint off the walls loud. I guess pissing off the neighbors is the price to pay for wonderful tone.

Have a Happy 4th everyone!!

You can turn the wattage down, play with the gain knobs and roll the volume off on the guitar and still get really nice overdrive (or clean) sounds at lowish volume. It's a great amp!

I was playing early VH on my 25th Anniversary head a few days ago: direct into a vintage Marshall 4x12 with pre-rola 25-watt Greenbacks, PRS 2013 Custom 22 with HFS/Vintage bass. Sounded PERFECT for early VH. I had it at only one click down on the attenuator. I didn't like the PRS Tuxedo 2x12 I had to play it through- sold it. The Greenbacks, AND EVEN THE G12T-75 speakers in my Marshall 2x12 sounded a LOT nicer with this amp than the Vintage 30s in the PRS cab. I was surprised, but that's the honest truth. The V-30s were too trebly and piercing- even after months of sustained LOUD playing through them to give them a good break-in.

Anyway- I know I am very late to the party here, but CONGRATULATIONS on your new amp!!

Joe

Back