N5D

Okay so an update. I primarily play at church these days. So played it with a band for the first time. Epic. Still needs the treble bleed on the neck pu. But man does it sing.

Also I restrung it. Should have done that the day I got it. But they seemed like they were in good shape. Until one broke the night before at home, and I didn’t have a spare set on me. :-/

Anyway after the first service I decided to tweak it a bit. I raised up the tailpiece. I know a lot of people go by the theory of keeping it “against the body” to increase resonance. But I’ve always felt keeping it higher with less of a break over the bridge is better. And actually it seemed more resonant that way.

I should have taken pics. I just rarely think about it when I’m at church. That said I have some ebony pieces on the way. When I get them here, I’ll post more pics.

Lastly. What cases do you recommend? I love the paisley case it came with. But it’s almost too nice to lug around. And durn heavy. I’ve seen an SKB that looks nice for like $120. I’ve also read about people carrying their PS in gigbags. Anyway I prefer a hard case. Might even get the standard case. You know the new, not as good as the old one, one. ;) anyway just looking for ideas.

Lastly. What cases do you recommend? I love the paisley case it came with. But it’s almost too nice to lug around. And durn heavy. I’ve seen an SKB that looks nice for like $120. I’ve also read about people carrying their PS in gigbags. Anyway I prefer a hard case. Might even get the standard case. You know the new, not as good as the old one, one. ;) anyway just looking for ideas.

I've been using this one. Not much storage room in it though. The PRS gig bags are top notch, as well. The new one for the Silver Sky is built to stop a tank.

http://reunionblues.com/product/161/AERO-E1

Prorock gear. Softshell case I guess you'd call it. Much lighter than a hardshell, but much, much better protection than a gig bag (and it stays in tune). I have one for my resonator, but I bet this one will fit yours: https://prorockgear.com/collections/electric/products/rg380fc

Okay so an update. I primarily play at church these days. So played it with a band for the first time. Epic. Still needs the treble bleed on the neck pu. But man does it sing.

Also I restrung it. Should have done that the day I got it. But they seemed like they were in good shape. Until one broke the night before at home, and I didn’t have a spare set on me. :-/

Anyway after the first service I decided to tweak it a bit. I raised up the tailpiece. I know a lot of people go by the theory of keeping it “against the body” to increase resonance. But I’ve always felt keeping it higher with less of a break over the bridge is better. And actually it seemed more resonant that way.

I should have taken pics. I just rarely think about it when I’m at church. That said I have some ebony pieces on the way. When I get them here, I’ll post more pics.

I’ve an SKB 1SKB 66 - bullet-proof and light. Just saying, if you’re looking for a decent case, quite a lot of bang for your $!

Wow. I had never seen those reunion blues bags before. Those looks very nice. And I was pretty sold on the skb 66, but that pro rock case looks awesome too. And half the price. I’m still leaning skb, but you’re def giving me things to think about. Thanks. :)

Oh, interesting. I wasn't sure if the tailpiece was even suitable raising.

I like that Reunion Blues case bodia shared. I use a Gator ProGo, which is a similar rigid gig bag/soft case concept, but it has a bunch of pockets that make it great for carrying to gigs.

Oh, interesting. I wasn't sure if the tailpiece was even suitable raising.

I like that Reunion Blues case bodia shared. I use a Gator ProGo, which is a similar rigid gig bag/soft case concept, but it has a bunch of pockets that make it great for carrying to gigs.

I wasn’t totally sure about adjusting it. But slacked off the strings and took one stud all the way out. Sure enough it was plenty long.

And to the case. I just go back and forth to church mostly. It’s the only thing I take with me. So don’t need a lot of pockets. Honestly the gig bag/soft case is probably what I need. But I’ve always had hard cases. So it’s weird to me to think about using anything else.

Oh one other question. I knew the satin finish would get kind of glossy over time. But I can already see it changing. Anything I can do to slow it down? Right now it's on the lower edge of the body where my arm touches it, below the bridge pickup where my fingers of my picking hand tend to rest, and the back of the neck. I've only been using a microfiber towel to clean it off after playing. Like I said, I knew it would happen, just didn't expect it after a week. Guess the previous owner was right about barely playing it. Oh and since we're here. I tried to take some more pics to better get the color. Didn't really work. But I'll keep trying. Oh and the bridge isn't quite that high anymore. I did lower it a bit. But even where it was more than half of the post was still in the body.

CbWSdAz.jpg

h6LeeWa.jpg

2TqV3eh.jpg

That is one hella of a guitar.....

Yes it is. Didn't realize what I was getting into when I bought that 513 a while back. It was fantastic, I just didn't bond with it. So it's gone and this is it's replacement. More than likely a 509 will be my next one. I saw one with a rosewood neck the other day. It was all I could do not to buy it. I always knew PRS guitars were legit, but once I played one with a band I realized how special they are. I'm hooked. :)

Just enjoy it and make it your own.

Think of the smooth patches as how much you love playing it!

Great looking quilt, awesome guitar!:D

Oh and I forgot to mention, for those interested. I did do the "50's wiring mod" to the neck pickup. Not so sure I need a treble bleed now. It definitely helps keep a little top end as you roll down the volume. I've read that it might cause a slight volume loss once you start to roll down the tone. I didn't notice that, but I did notice the tone control seems to be a bit more subtle until around 5 or so. But I rarely use the tone control. So no worries. In fact I almost just disconnected it to see what happens. Might do that when the caps get here. They're on the slow boat from china, so it might be a bit.

Oh and I forgot to mention, for those interested. I did do the "50's wiring mod" to the neck pickup. Not so sure I need a treble bleed now. It definitely helps keep a little top end as you roll down the volume. I've read that it might cause a slight volume loss once you start to roll down the tone. I didn't notice that, but I did notice the tone control seems to be a bit more subtle until around 5 or so. But I rarely use the tone control. So no worries. In fact I almost just disconnected it to see what happens. Might do that when the caps get here. They're on the slow boat from china, so it might be a bit.

That sounds right for the tone control with the 50's wiring.

So what's proper etiquette around here? Should I start a new thread for mods and stuff or keep it all here? So until I find out here's some pics of my newest mods. I think it really brought it together.

3rRCmI3.jpg

IlxrUWy.jpg

DaC3OYc.jpg

Thanks. Oh and now I have a question. Anyone know what size screws they're using for the pickups? It looked like 4-40 to me, but I went to buy one and it didn't visually match up. The closest metric I have is 3mm x 0.5, and it doesn't look right either. Long story short is the neck screws aren't long enough since these trim rings don't have the recess. And honestly they were barely long enough before. I had already had to take the pu out once and reinstall it. Thanks.

edit: did a quick google. Maybe 3-48? sounds plausible to me. And my finest thread checker is 44. So I can't verify, but that's gibson's standard.

Back