N(U)GD - S2 Standard 24

Yes, I just got it a few weeks ago. The seller actually also thought it had VB/HFS pups, not sure whether he just responded "yes" to my question on that to not rock the boat :)

Ok, good to know! Guess it makes sense though the CE got the US version in 2016 and the 30th Dragon had them in 2015 but my 30th SE has HFS/VBs

My 2016 S2 Custom 24 had HFS/VB in it. I sent the serial number to PRS customer service and that’s what they sent back. I confirmed it when I swapped them out for some 57/08’s. I’m interested to see what a magnet swap does for them.

Update. I chickened out on the magnet swap. Not for the faint of heart. Once I removed the tape around the coil and saw how tiny the wire between the bobbins is I stopped and put it back together :)

I kept playing with the original pups and have worked up considerable appreciation for them. I did some test recordings with my various guitars (see my signature) which allows to listen back and compare more easily.

Here a fairly subjective ratings on how I liked the different pups (more liked at the top):

I used a clean setting for the neck pups and used Yellow Ledbetter intro as the riff.
  • SD Hot Strat (single coil)
  • SD Jazz
  • PRS 85/15S
  • SD 59

I used a dirty rhythm sound for the bridge pickup and used the Animal intro as the riff.
  • SD Full Shred
  • PRS 85/15S
  • SD Pegasus
  • SD JB

I forgot how the noise-less single coils in my Fender Ultra fared, but they were somewhere in the middle each (not best but not worst either). I actually also did the same recording test with my Core Custom 24 and Core 85/15 pups, and they were very similar to the imported version. Maybe a little more "clear". I'd have to go back and compare them all at once again.

The only pup I really have no liking for is the SD JB. Just too high output for the style of music I play these days. Actually nice though for hard rock/metal cleans, a la Pull Me Under intro.

I also noticed that I really like the volume roll-back behavior of the PRS pups. Clean up nicely and get a little brighter. Probably has to do with the treble bleed circuit more than the pups, but I like.

I picked up a satin/ Black around the first of the year. Sooo good for the coin.. Her name is, “ Black Betty” I really enjoy seeing the amazing instruments made from some of the finest tone woods from around the world, not to mention playing them, sometimes less IS more.. I let go a Custom 22 for this. Not one regret. If this guitar was a kit, I would be beating it like Bonham!!
https://imgur.com/a/wyTkYqB

I picked up a satin/ Black around the first of the year. Sooo good for the coin.. Her name is, “ Black Betty” I really enjoy seeing the amazing instruments made from some of the finest tone woods from around the world, not to mention playing them, sometimes less IS more.. I let go a Custom 22 for this. Not one regret. If this guitar was a kit, I would be beating it like Bonham!!
https://imgur.com/a/wyTkYqB
Nice one!

Sybo’s in-line
wl04aB2_d.jpg

I really am impressed with this guitar. I mean I traded this https://imgur.com/a/zOt0Tq4 for mine. As beautiful as the Custom was, I wasn’t getting what I was looking for audibly. Now the Standard, I am gonna play the everlovin crap outta it!!

Back