N(U)GD: PRS SE Bernie Marsden

timmypix

About 6 months ago I bought this PRS SE Bernie Marsden in Trampas Green.

Ever since the Bernie was announced I've been kind of curious, as I grew up in the same area as Bernie and he was one of my earliest guitar heroes - I could listen to his albums at home and then bump into him in the village shop or the pub or his short-lived record shop (he was a bit bored before the PRS/Beast hype kicked in, I think).

Then they did the limited runs and I adore Trampas Green, so my attention was definitely piqued; however, I lacked the funds/justification at the time of release and missed out. By the end of last year circumstances had changed, and one popped up for sale. A little above market value but the colour was rare as hell and I wanted it.

I already had an idea of how I'd want to personalise it after a long time lurking on this forum, and once I'd got in my hands I worked out what I liked and what I wanted to change. The pickups were okay but a bit too hot, compressed and muddy, especially the bridge, and the nut was awful and causing some nasty buzzing; I also wanted to be able to intonate the bridge properly for tuning/gauge changes. I was surprised to find I loved the fatter neck, and now find my other guitars a bit skinny!

So, it's now done! Pictures below, but here are the upgrades:
  • Bare Knuckle Pickups The Mule set, with gold polepieces and brushed nickel covers
  • Mannmade 2300 bridge (annoyingly purchased a week before he announced the availability of metric posts)
  • Gotoh locking Kluson-style tuners
  • Three push-pull pots with splits for both pickups on their respective volume pots and a phase switch on the tone knob
  • Knobs taken from my Les Paul
  • Graphtech TUSQ nut
The Mules sound wonderful - open, clear, dynamic and a wonderful smoothness when you dig in. And I absolutely love how well the pickups match the bridge in terms of aesthetics. The Mannmade 2300 has subtly enhanced sustain and evened out the frequency response a bit (it was very bright before), and is a beautiful piece of engineering, very solid and reassuring.

d81DWxx.jpg

Rgr6bqU.jpg

Looks great. The bare Knuckle stuff is really good. Tim knows his product inside out! Trampas green is a cool colour.

Welcome to the forum too Timmy.

Thanks! Yeah I've had Mules before, and I've got BKP in two other guitars as well, so I knew they were perfect.

I was actually looking at the Forces Sweetheart by Oil City Pickups too, but decided that ultimately I knew I would love the Mules, and I could get them in full PRS-bling spec too.

A gorgeous Bernie with locking tuners, custom wiring, John Mann adjustable bridge, and BK pups.

What's not to love?

I gotta get me one of those!!!!!! :)

Hope you enjoy it for a lifetime, sir!!!!

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Feel free to show yours off too, a couple have been mentioned that sound cool.

@grausch the hard case is a leftover from its predecessor, generic LP-shape hard case that does the job.

Did you wire the "three push-pull pots" (with splits for both pickups on their respective volume pots and a phase switch on the tone knob) yourself?
If so, do you have a wiring diagram for that set-up?
I'm a recent Bernie Marsden buyer and that's one of my ideas for a future modification.
I am liking the stock pick-ups so far (about two weeks) but a Bar Knuckle Mule set might be in my future as well.
Thanks.

Nice job!!! Nice guitar!!! Love Trampas!

I think I'm going to have to mod my newsed Bernie as well. Definitely want the adjustable wraparound bridge.
Agree 100% about the pickups. While serviceable, too much mud for my tastes. Just so happens that I have a spare
set of Zhangbucker.com pickups lying around in a box.... Hmmmmmmmm... Probably some CTS pots (if they're imports) and a complete
rewire.

Love the feel of the guitar, though. The nut on mine seems to be fine, though.

Back