N(u)GD coming up --

John Scrip

Warped frustrated old man
So, I had a black cherry S2 Custom 24 on order... But I'm still scouring ebay occasionally. Recently came across a guitar that I immediately fell in love with at a reasonable price. Only 4 bids -- and 43 watchers. "Pipe dream" I'm thinking of course.

Yesterday, I'm sitting at the Ortho office with the kid (and the wife) and my iPhone ebay thing goes off -- Still at 4 bids -- with 4 minutes left. I've been caught up in too many last-second snipes to get my hopes up and I have no idea what the top bidder's limit is, so I bump the thing up a lousy $26.99 with around 10 seconds left -- YOU ARE THE HIGH BIDDER -- and I refresh, and refresh, and refresh -- YOU WON.

Needless to say, I had to put the brakes on the S2. But I'm sure you'll understand why --

stacks_image_11.jpg

One of my dream guitars (Custom 24) in one of my favorite finishes ever (black gold) -- DOM Halloween of 2011, really nice shape from what I can tell, a few edge dings (which is fine -- I want to play this thing and I'm tired of babying everything else I own), factory HSC and I'm only out a bit more than the S2 was going to run (especially since I would've dropped down for a HSC to go along with it anyway).

I'm sure I'll be back with my first thoughts in a couple days...

Nice, I love it when I bid on things thinking there's no way I'll win, and then end up winning. That happened to me last year and while the guitar wasn't everything I hoped it would be, I was able to resell and even after shipping and stuff I came out ahead by $5 or so. Hey, free footlong.

It's "on the truck" -- It's "out for delivery" -- I'm "sitting on pins and needles" waiting for it...

Phew... It's here, I ripped it, cleaned it, oiled the neck, restrung, reset & strobed (which took all of maybe 15 minutes thanks to those wonderful tuners) and all is well.

Let's see if this works (and hopefully they have the resize plugin installed)...

PRSCM4_1.JPG

PRSCM4_2.JPG

PRSCM4_3.JPG

On the third one, you can actually see the reflection of one of my Gibson LP's... It looks jealous.

Ripped apart (sort of), cleaned, oiled the fretboard, polished it up, restrung, lowered the action a bit, intonated - All in like 30 minutes. I forget how nice these things are to work on.

Last edited:
what are the birds made of? My cu24 has the same style birdsand I was always curious.

what are the birds made of? My cu24 has the same style birdsand I was always curious.
I have no idea. I'm convincing myself that they're spun and hammered gold inside ivory taken from the tusks of wooly mammoths dug out of an Alaskan glacier.

Aaaaaaand -- as of this afternoon, it's my ONLY PRS. Sold off the Santana SE (as wonderful of an instrument as it is, I knew it wasn't going to be played much and as it has no particular intrinsic collector's value, I'd much rather have it in the hands of someone who will keep it working).

That is a beautiful guitar,great find. The Custom 24 is my favorite model also,and seem really hard to find in good shape at a decent price on the used market.

I feel like I have been seeing a few deals here and there. Plenty of the opposite too. I suppose that's most always the case. Always like a deal. Congrats again.

Back