N(p)AD: Archon

PRSAK

I am only an egg
New purple amp day. I finally joined the club! Not only club Archon, but the exclusive club Plum Archon. Have been thinking about it forever and when a 50w head with a maple fascia was listed on a popular gear forum a couple of weeks ago, I could resist no longer. The amp arrived two days ago and got it's first dose of current in the far north today. Wow! What a sound! I started off at 50w on the lead channel - everything at noon and master about 10 o'clock. Brilliant. I swear to god, if I never touched a control on the amp, I would be happy with that sound. But of course I did touch! I scooped some mids, flicked the bright on/off, added presence, fussed with the depth control, turned gain up/gain down, added some volume and then spent a bit of time at 25w which was still full and rich. Just a nice pallet of tones and everywhere the amp is controlled and articulate. And that clean channel...same thing...noon on the controls. Stunningly crisp. I only played a few things on the clean channel and I didn't put anything through the loop yet so I'm looking forward to adding a nice hall reverb and a light chorus and getting lost in some chimey arpeggios.

Anyway...I'm psyched to finally find out what all the fuss is about and look forward to exploring what this amp can do. I know it is going to inspire a lot of playing time and creativity.

Purple PRS power
DSC_0047

And with it's purple plexi brother.
DSC_0052

It looks good in purple. Welcome to the Archon owners club.

Nice! Welcome to the Club! The family looks hot. I agree with your assessment of the Archon too. Fabulous across the spectrum. Purple Power rulez!

Nice! If I didn't already have an Archon (in a nice Black-Gold flame trim with black paisley tolex) I would have jumped on one of these.

I was very disappointed when I saw these at Experience, but only because I'd already bought a paisley Archon. Had I known these were coming, I'd have waited - love the purple. Congrats!

Fantastic! Enjoy. I'm still using mine as my main rehearsal and gigging amp. The thing is just a treat to play.

As much as the Archon sounds great with everything at noon, don't be afraid to turn the knobs, even to extremes. I have my lead channel mid all the way up and it cuts great in a band mix.

Well...I'm a total convert. Why doesn't everyone own one of these?! Right now...I'm just kind of laughing at this whole low wattage Tremonti amp thing because I can't believe how effective the MV is on the Archon. What's that going to do that the Archon doesn't do already? (I do actually look forward to that answer and hope for a great new product from PRS.) But...25w setting, gain at noon, 9 o'clock on the MV, depth about 2 o'clock. Completely reasonable volume and the tone is still just deep and huge. And, there are fabulous deals on them out there! PRS knocked it out of the park with this amp. I have some non-purple amps that might even get put up for sale as a result of getting the Archon. (And I never sell any gear!)

Well...I'm a total convert. Why doesn't everyone own one of these?! Right now...I'm just kind of laughing at this whole low wattage Tremonti amp thing because I can't believe how effective the MV is on the Archon. What's that going to do that the Archon doesn't do already? (I do actually look forward to that answer and hope for a great new product from PRS.) But...25w setting, gain at noon, 9 o'clock on the MV, depth about 2 o'clock. Completely reasonable volume and the tone is still just deep and huge. And, there are fabulous deals on them out there! PRS knocked it out of the park with this amp. I have some non-purple amps that might even get put up for sale as a result of getting the Archon. (And I never sell any gear!)

The secret is out! I'm with you, everyone should have one! Made me sell my MkV.....

I always go back to this clip Aristotle posted last year to show the diversity of the Archon

My Mesas have been collecting dust ever since I picked up my Archon, its THAT good! Even for at home bedroom playing, the wife no longer has to put up with louder playing. Industries best kept secret for sure!

Back