N.O.U.A.D.

bodia

Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved
New Old Used Amp Day! PRS Harmonic Generator (HG-70). I actually got this a couple of months ago. Story to follow, of course!

When I traded my DG30 (and '04 HBII) to Mike a couple of months ago I commented that I was going to need something to replace the DG30. I couldn't let a sweet 1x12 sit there with nothing on it. Sergio and I had been talking about a particular used HG-70 that was on Ebay for about $300 (plus $80 shipping). It looked a little rough, and there was just something that turned both of us away, at the time. That and the fact that I couldn't really find any info on it.

Anyway, fast forward a month, or 6 weeks, amd Sergio sends me a link to a video from 25 years ago that had about 10 or 15 minutes of Paul and the HG-70. After seeing that, I decided to check and see if the HG70 was still around. Low and behold, it was. Now it was a ridiculous $244.76. At that price, what the heck, worth a shot (even though I'd already found something to sit on that 1x12!).

It shows up and looks like hell, and smells like a barn. Cleaned it up a bit, and rubbed it down with Febreeze, and let it sit for a few days with a bunch of Odor Eliminators around it. When I got around to plugging it in, it made a little bit of sound. Volume and Gain pots on both channels were severely scratchy, and only had a couple of spots that would produce sound. Seller didn't mention that it was barely functional, but at that price I figured no big deal. That's what contact cleaner is for. I mentioned that in a text to Mike and Sergio, and Mike said to bring it on over. We set up a time, and I stopped on by. Of course, I was toting a 12 pack of New Glarus for his troubles!

Ok, this thing was dirty, faded, and a little tattered on the outside (sorry, no before pics). When it got cracked open Mike and I were shocked by two things:
1) It was built like a tank. Big metal (transformers), lots of covers, really well laid out. High end design, components, and build

2) It was SPOTLESS on the inside. Not a speck of dust or dirt.

Contact cleaner helped a little, but Mike suggested letting him take it to work so he and his guys could see if they could squirrel up some new pots for the Volume and Gain. Took a few weeks as the original pots are long out of production. Got an update, and a couple of quick clips from Mike last week. He buttoned it up Friday night, and I swung by and picked it up Saturday.

It still looked like crap on the outside. I grabbed my shoe shine kit, from back in the day when I didn't sit in the basement, in sweats and bright shoes, and went to work. I was going to use Mink Oil, but it had been so long since I'd cracked that shine kit, I didn't have any. Best I had; Doc Martens Wonder Shoe Balsam. Grabbed that, an applicator sponge, brush and buffing towel. Spent about 30 minutes on it. Looks A LOT better. Still needs a little work on the face plate, and a toothbrush on the knobs.

Sounds pretty good. Here's a clip from a recent thread. It's around the 30:00 mark.

And, here it is! Of course, that 1x12 already had something on it by the time the HG-70 showed up. I had to find something to put it on! I still need to find some suitable footswitches for Reverb and Channel switching. Any ideas?

PYP9mL4.jpg

63Mxo35.jpg

KRhjVsB.jpg

QxcRrqa.jpg

H5cUTc0.jpg

YaLWBFJ.jpg

Cuz it who you are Sergio :)
Its a cool amp the solo channel has some fun sounds and plenty of gain
The clean channel has a bit of dirt also in a good way

Nice score......but that little Atma rig is speaking to me.....

That is a cool little amp, for sure. It is the cause of the Kemper going up for sale (if I ever get around to listing it). The 1x12 came from MA Pete for a song. Oversized, ported with a Creamback. I got it to put the DG30 on. After the DG left, I managed to find the Cowboy Tolex head. Go figure, it was from the same guy that Pete originally ordered that cab from.

there is no clinical pathway between antibiotics and alcohol, happy new year

great story

there is no clinical pathway between antibiotics and alcohol, happy new year

great story

I dunno, the Pharmacist (and warning label) says drinking while taking Flagyl will result in violent vomiting. I'll ride it out!

Ah sorry I only had regular amoxicillin which is safe.

You have to be half dead over here before they will suscribe even that. Cutbacks and scares.

Hope you feel better soon

New Old Used Amp Day! PRS Harmonic Generator (HG-70). I actually got this a couple of months ago. Story to follow, of course!

When I traded my DG30 (and '04 HBII) to Mike a couple of months ago I commented that I was going to need something to replace the DG30. I couldn't let a sweet 1x12 sit there with nothing on it. Sergio and I had been talking about a particular used HG-70 that was on Ebay for about $300 (plus $80 shipping). It looked a little rough, and there was just something that turned both of us away, at the time. That and the fact that I couldn't really find any info on it.

Anyway, fast forward a month, or 6 weeks, amd Sergio sends me a link to a video from 25 years ago that had about 10 or 15 minutes of Paul and the HG-70. After seeing that, I decided to check and see if the HG70 was still around. Low and behold, it was. Now it was a ridiculous $244.76. At that price, what the heck, worth a shot (even though I'd already found something to sit on that 1x12!).

It shows up and looks like hell, and smells like a barn. Cleaned it up a bit, and rubbed it down with Febreeze, and let it sit for a few days with a bunch of Odor Eliminators around it. When I got around to plugging it in, it made a little bit of sound. Volume and Gain pots on both channels were severely scratchy, and only had a couple of spots that would produce sound. Seller didn't mention that it was barely functional, but at that price I figured no big deal. That's what contact cleaner is for. I mentioned that in a text to Mike and Sergio, and Mike said to bring it on over. We set up a time, and I stopped on by. Of course, I was toting a 12 pack of New Glarus for his troubles!

Ok, this thing was dirty, faded, and a little tattered on the outside (sorry, no before pics). When it got cracked open Mike and I were shocked by two things:
1) It was built like a tank. Big metal (transformers), lots of covers, really well laid out. High end design, components, and build

2) It was SPOTLESS on the inside. Not a speck of dust or dirt.

Contact cleaner helped a little, but Mike suggested letting him take it to work so he and his guys could see if they could squirrel up some new pots for the Volume and Gain. Took a few weeks as the original pots are long out of production. Got an update, and a couple of quick clips from Mike last week. He buttoned it up Friday night, and I swung by and picked it up Saturday.

It still looked like crap on the outside. I grabbed my shoe shine kit, from back in the day when I didn't sit in the basement, in sweats and bright shoes, and went to work. I was going to use Mink Oil, but it had been so long since I'd cracked that shine kit, I didn't have any. Best I had; Doc Martens Wonder Shoe Balsam. Grabbed that, an applicator sponge, brush and buffing towel. Spent about 30 minutes on it. Looks A LOT better. Still needs a little work on the face plate, and a toothbrush on the knobs.

Sounds pretty good. Here's a clip from a recent thread. It's around the 30:00 mark.

And, here it is! Of course, that 1x12 already had something on it by the time the HG-70 showed up. I had to find something to put it on! I still need to find some suitable footswitches for Reverb and Channel switching. Any ideas?

PYP9mL4.jpg

63Mxo35.jpg

KRhjVsB.jpg

QxcRrqa.jpg

H5cUTc0.jpg

YaLWBFJ.jpg
Love posts like this! Pretty cool looking amp - it looks like a space ship all lit up in the last photo. Been aware of these for a while but never seen one in the UK so great to get to read about one and see inside. Be interested to see what you think after using it a bit. The HG bit means it's meant to sound and react like a tube amp so looking forward to any updates how it compares.

Back