Mystery Washer/Part

HoovHead

I recently purchased a used PRS SC/HBII. After a clean and re-string, I plugged it in a played it for a while. Once when I looked down at the volume knob, I noticed it has a small piece of plastic between the knob and the body. I’ve posted a picture here. I have owned many PRS Guitars, and this is my second SC/HBII, but I have NEVER seen these “washers” before. The washer fits PERFECTLY and spins freely under the knob. The fit is too perfect for aftermarket (my guess).

This is a 2012 with a 10 top in Gold Burst.

Any feedback on the mystery Washer would be appreciated.
image-1.png

I recently purchased a used PRS SC/HBII. After a clean and re-string, I plugged it in a played it for a while. Once when I looked down at the volume knob, I noticed it has a small piece of plastic between the knob and the body. I’ve posted a picture here. I have owned many PRS Guitars, and this is my second SC/HBII, but I have NEVER seen these “washers” before. The washer fits PERFECTLY and spins freely under the knob. The fit is too perfect for aftermarket (my guess).

This is a 2012 with a 10 top in Gold Burst.

Any feedback on the mystery Washer would be appreciated.
image-1.png

I would be more concerned about having the Mars Rover in your f-hole!

As was stated in post # 2,
maybe the guy tried to make the dials spin less freely,
but maybe he miscalculated on the washer thickness and then
decided he liked the way they look so he left them in place.
Filling the space does neaten up the appearance.
It could have originally been a cosmetic thing.

MYSTERY SOLVED!

I finally had some time to pull the knobs off my PRS SC/HBII to investigate the mystery washers. The washers were in fact there for the purpose of adding “drag” to the controls. The washers are marked “Knob Control-Stop It”. There are two rubber washers (one that fits around the nut on the pot, and the other goes under the knob. By pushing down on the knob, it causes friction between the two washers.

As I mentioned previously, it did’t work (Sorry—Knob Control). I think these would work better on the speed knob type. With lampshade knobs, I think you may have to regularly press down the knobs to keep the washers engaged.

I removed the washers and restore the original integrity and beauty.

ring1.png

ring2.png

ring3.png

Back