Mysterious guitar portrait; take your guesses!

Felipe

Please look the smallest details, they might help...

31680549630_9b90299e1c_h.jpg

31680555270_9bfeee7389_h.jpg

32016434956_edd19549f8_h.jpg

32016410076_30b19ee24e_h.jpg

31214601394_9607d1380b_h.jpg

32016403946_4dd3ca9ff5_h.jpg

32055419845_a655e9f8c7_h.jpg

hmm, a couple more shots of the back and sides would help. Possible this is a PS retro custom 24 as with wings relic'd by the PS team. Definitely a milcom bridge. from the angles shown this body could be thicker than usual for a custom 24. Very possibly a rosewood TRC, and the original ones were plastic AFAIK. The frets look great and the inlays are more precise than the early customs.

Also looking at original signatures the encircled "R" on those was usually below the signature not to the side. Anyway, really awesome no matter what it is!

Last edited:
Plastic TRC. BRRW board. T&B pickups. Regular CU24 thickness. You are on the path.
hmm, a couple more shots of the back and sides would help. Possible this is a PS retro custom 24 as with wings relic'd by the PS team. Definitely a milcom bridge. from the angles shown this body could be thicker than usual for a custom 24. Very possibly a rosewood TRC, and the original ones were plastic AFAIK. The frets look great and the inlays are more precise than the early customs.

Also looking at original signatures the encircled "R" on those was usually below the signature not to the side. Anyway, really awesome no matter what it is!

I don't know enough about early PRS guitars to know what would differentiate this from something like the throwback PS run that GC did a few years back, but I notice the sweet switch, short heel, winged tuners, and one generally awesome looking guitar!

Signs point to...

SIGNATURE SERIES
: 1986 - 1990. The first ‘ultimate quality wood grade’ PRS, hand-signed by Paul Reed Smith and based on the Custom, extremely figured (artist grade) maple top, bird inlays, only 1,000 made.

yup

The Op gave us enough clues. short heel, hand signed logo. killer top, sweet switch, sloppy trademark.

Here is the history:

In 2006 Make n Music had a limited PS run of 85 Repros using original hardware, all original specs, one piece bridges, T/B pickups, signed in the HS exactly like the original 85 guitars. This was a run of 10 guitars, 5 were VY, 5 in Royal Blue, all NOS guitars. A few months later, Wild West Guitars ordered 6 guitars in the same specs, but 3 were supposed to be RELIC by the PS team. The 3 NOS were VY, Emerald Green and Royal Blue. The relics were Tobbaco SB, Cherryburst and another one in Royal Blue.
This is one of these 3.
Although I've owned and seen as many relic guitars you can think of (Murphys, Masterbuilts, many boutique guys), this is the finest aging job I've ever seen. There are no cracks, since the original PRS finish will not crack. But all the details on the hardware and finish were made by the PS crew.
It's indeed one amazing guitar.

The only difference form the Original 85 guitars I could think of is, aside from the obvious serial and PS numbers, Paul's signature, which is a bit bigger, just like his regular PS signature. There is no PS sig, just his sig on the HS. Other than that, it's pretty much identical to a 85, 86...
And being a PS, indeed the details are all PS quality, frets, inlays, everything. PS case as well.

Here is the history:

In 2006 Make n Music had a limited PS run of 85 Repros using original hardware, all original specs, one piece bridges, T/B pickups, signed in the HS exactly like the original 85 guitars. This was a run of 10 guitars, 5 were VY, 5 in Royal Blue, all NOS guitars. A few months later, Wild West Guitars ordered 6 guitars in the same specs, but 3 were supposed to be RELIC by the PS team. The 3 NOS were VY, Emerald Green and Royal Blue. The relics were Tobbaco SB, Cherryburst and another one in Royal Blue.
This is one of these 3.
Although I've owned and seen as many relic guitars you can think of (Murphys, Masterbuilts, many boutique guys), this is the finest aging job I've ever seen. There are no cracks, since the original PRS finish will not crack. But all the details on the hardware and finish were made by the PS crew.
It's indeed one amazing guitar.

Very nice!

You know, I thought the control divots looked a lil' more modern (i.e.: bigger) and the finish flaking to look more V12-ish but... Having not heard of these I figured it was safe to agree it was a Siggy.

That's the thing, the longer I hang around, the more I find out I know nothing. :oops::D

Back